[1.9-1.10] Global Construction

allista

I'm having a problem with the DIY kits in the VAB.  When I R click on them I don't have an option to load a craft.  All i get are options regarding docking acquire force, staging, crossfeed... but nothing about loading a ship.  Any thoughts???  Am I just missing something obvious?

This is on the latest version of KSP (1.8.1) and the newest version of GC.  I also have MKS and Kerbal Engineer installed.

Thanks.

12 minutes ago, new phone who dis said:

I'm having a problem with the DIY kits in the VAB.  When I R click on them I don't have an option to load a craft.  All i get are options regarding docking acquire force, staging, crossfeed... but nothing about loading a ship.  Any thoughts???  Am I just missing something obvious?

This is on the latest version of KSP (1.8.1) and the newest version of GC.  I also have MKS and Kerbal Engineer installed.

Thanks.

Should be an installation problem. Checke the logs (output_log.txt/Player.log), or share them for us to examine.

30 minutes ago, new phone who dis said:

Thanks so much for taking time to respond!  This will sound dumb, but where do I find the log that would be helpful?  under KSP_x64_Data I can find an output_log, but it is from a month ago.  I'm not sure where to find one from today.

Oh, right, Unity 2019 changed log file location for Windows.

Here's a good post explaining where to find it, and many other things about how to troubleshoot problems:

54 minutes ago, new phone who dis said:

Found it.  I put the file on Dropbox

https://www.dropbox.com/s/k0vav764q3j2d6a/Player.log?dl=0

Well, your installation is a mess: you have two different versions of MM (which is pretty bad in itself), and you don't have any version of neither GC nor AT_Utils dlls whatsoever.
I suggest you to stick with CKAN for mod management, and only install mods that are compatible with your KSP version.

Hmm, I can't get the Recycler UI to show up. There's a Recycler button on the Workshop window, but nothing happens when clicking it, other than I get this message in the log:

[ERR 21:23:15.074] AssetLoader: Cannot find bundle definition with name 'GroundConstruction/gc_ui'

I looked on GitHub and saw that inside GameData/GroundConstruction there's a symlink called gc_ui.ksp, but no such file exists in the mod as installed by CKAN under Windows 10.

10 hours ago, Daedala said:

Hmm, I can't get the Recycler UI to show up. There's a Recycler button on the Workshop window, but nothing happens when clicking it, other than I get this message in the log:

[ERR 21:23:15.074] AssetLoader: Cannot find bundle definition with name 'GroundConstruction/gc_ui'

I looked on GitHub and saw that inside GameData/GroundConstruction there's a symlink called gc_ui.ksp, but no such file exists in the mod as installed by CKAN under Windows 10.

Thanks for the report. I'll check the .netkan definitions, maybe I have to explicitly include it.

CKAN downloads GC from spacedock, and the archive there has all the files; so meanwhile you can get it manually from there.

Edit: fixed it

Edited by allista

21 hours ago, allista said:

Version 2.5.0.1 for Kerbal Space Program 1.8.1

Released on 2019-11-17

• Fixed Recycler part tree: subtrees no longer overlap

Thank you, this is so welcome!
It was almost impossible to navigate complex vessels with large part number.

As a quick note, on the 5th level in a recycler part tree, there is a performance hiccup (for several seconds KSP is blocked).
After that, everything seems to return to normal.

4 hours ago, Kazvan said:

Thank you, this is so welcome!
It was almost impossible to navigate complex vessels with large part number.

As a quick note, on the 5th level in a recycler part tree, there is a performance hiccup (for several seconds KSP is blocked).
After that, everything seems to return to normal.

Hm... I've tested it up to 64 levels, but that was a stack of panels. So maybe it's not the number of levels per se, but something more complex in vessels structure?

This is a screenshot of the vessel.

hvcWBT9.jpg

I try to recycle the batteries on the science lab (I am not sure whether the above ship can be considered a complex vessel).
While getting to them on the parts tree, I experience the performance hiccup.
Then pressing the recycle button won't do anything.

Nevertheless, this isn't a big issue.
As the Recycler window is persistent, I got the job done with a kerbonaut on EVA (using KAS mod to detach parts).
This window persistence is really great and makes re-modelling operations way less tedious.

1 hour ago, Kazvan said:

While getting to them on the parts tree, I experience the performance hiccup.
Then pressing the recycle button won't do anything.

I'd like to get the save/craft file and the list of mods to be able to reproduce both issues.

Performance hiccup is annoying, but the fact that Recycle button didn't do anything is a real bug.

I want to use the mod for the first time. I ask to prompt in two questions.

1. I want to use the mod "Kerbal Construction Time". I understand that these mods will not be connected in any way. I want to be sure that there is no conflict.

2. if use the mod "Kerbal Construction Time", the ship will be built on Kerbin longer than on orbit in the "Orbital Assembly Line". How to reduce the build speed for balance? For example, reduce in 2-3 times. Please suggest an example of a patch. I hope that this is possible and engineers will still influence the speed of construction.

23 minutes ago, nickicool said:

2. if use the mod "Kerbal Construction Time", the ship will be built on Kerbin longer than on orbit in the "Orbital Assembly Line". How to reduce the build speed for balance? For example, reduce in 2-3 times. Please suggest an example of a patch. I hope that this is possible and engineers will still influence the speed of construction.

Look at the KCT settings, you can pick settings which you like

2 hours ago, nickicool said:

I want to use the mod for the first time. I ask to prompt in two questions.

1. I want to use the mod "Kerbal Construction Time". I understand that these mods will not be connected in any way. I want to be sure that there is no conflict.

You can adjust the Global Construction build speed by adding a user settings file (see below posts for more info):

Question for a 1.7.3 install: I used a kit to assemble a rover on the moon (using RSS), and upon deployment, the rover begins to slide around. I can use the wheels to control it and reduce the speed for the most part with brakes, but I cannot bring the vehicle to a complete stop (about 0.3 m/s minimum), and when driving, the direction of orientation seems to make no difference: essentially, I Tokyo Drift around, regardless of which direction my wheels are pointed. Any recommendations?

3 hours ago, GP_LeChuck said:

Question for a 1.7.3 install: I used a kit to assemble a rover on the moon (using RSS), and upon deployment, the rover begins to slide around. I can use the wheels to control it and reduce the speed for the most part with brakes, but I cannot bring the vehicle to a complete stop (about 0.3 m/s minimum), and when driving, the direction of orientation seems to make no difference: essentially, I Tokyo Drift around, regardless of which direction my wheels are pointed. Any recommendations?

I've experienced something similar with Hangar, when a rover is spawned. Haven't been able to pin the cause, except that it's linked with physics and wheel collides; but what helped me is switching to another vessel out of physics range (via the map), or a round trip to KSC and back. Time warp may also help, but I'm not sure.

In any case, I'd like to see the logs; maybe it's just some uncaught exceptions mess up part modules...

On 11/21/2019 at 9:59 PM, linuxgurugamer said:

Look at the KCT settings, you can pick settings which you like

No, I need to change the build speed of the GC mod instead KCT. But thank you for your answer!

On 11/22/2019 at 1:31 AM, Aelfhe1m said:

You can adjust the Global Construction build speed by adding a user settings file (see below posts for more info):

I think that's what I need. I'll try!

17 hours ago, allista said:

I've experienced something similar with Hangar, when a rover is spawned. Haven't been able to pin the cause, except that it's linked with physics and wheel collides; but what helped me is switching to another vessel out of physics range (via the map), or a round trip to KSC and back. Time warp may also help, but I'm not sure.

In any case, I'd like to see the logs; maybe it's just some uncaught exceptions mess up part modules...

Thanks for the feedback. Neither time-warping nor heading in and out of the tracking station seem to help, unfortunately. Here's a copy of the output log--I actually haven't used these before and don't know how to read them so hopefully I got the right thing: I loaded a save just before launching the completed rover from the kit, launched it and let it roll around a bit, then paused and used NathanKell's stickied guide to grab output_log.txt (I didn't shut down KSP first or anything in case that's needed to update the file).

12 hours ago, GP_LeChuck said:

...and used NathanKell's stickied guide to grab output_log.txt (I didn't shut down KSP first or anything in case that's needed to update the file).

Good for you; that's the right source.  You can copy the log at any time and it will reflect the game until that point.  Ideally, you play the shortest game session as possible to replicate the error/problem/situation and then exit the game.   This keeps the log file to the smallest practical size for debugging or demonstration purposes.

On 11/22/2019 at 12:11 PM, GP_LeChuck said:

On 11/22/2019 at 3:20 PM, allista said:

Update: After playing around with hacked gravity at KSC, it appears this may be a gravity/wheels issue and not have anything to do with kit spawning/Global Construction. When spawning the rover in question from the VAB, it drives perfectly fine under Earth gravity, but hacking it down to lunar levels at .16 replicates the sliding issue. This does seem strange, as I've successfully driven rovers on the moon before, although this one is larger (6.6 tons) and has more wheels (10), so there's likely some non mod-related issue that I'll have to figure out. In any case, obviously if anyone has suggestions, I'd love to hear them, but I don't want to waste @allista's time/clog this thread with non-GC issues, so consider it resolved!