[1.9-1.10] Global Construction

allista

28 minutes ago, bcqJC said:

Check that your installation has all the requirements.

For me, this works in 1.11.1. I've gone through the cycle of capturing an asteroid, mining it for Ore, converted that Ore to Material kits using ISRUs, then coverting the MatKits to SpecializedParts, and eventually constructing craft.

Never mind, worked now I found smelter ore from Convert-O-Tron, I haven't played KSP bit long time ago.

• 1 month later...
1 hour ago, Nantares said:

can this mod built a big spacecraft? (like beadypenguin's one)

Never gone that size yet, but you can test it by  cheating a construction facility and resources and engineers into orbit and seeing if it can hold up to it.

In theory, there should be no problem as, so as long as the deployment area for the Orbital Kit is clear, and you have the resources,  microgravity means the entire setup shouldn't tear itself apart no matter how big the deployed box gets. That doesn't mean however it couldn't happen: the connection between the kit and the construction facility is a docking port,  and if you try and maneuver the construction yard with SAS on, it can induce an oscillation feeding into the docked (and deployed) kit that, considering its weight, can build up destructively. I imagine if you leave the SAS off until the vessel is deployed, it can do so. 

Like I said: I never got to that size in my playthrough yet, but to give you an idea of what is going on, I'll drop in a couple of picks to demonstrate what I mean (spoilered to save space and loading):

Spoiler

rc0bV0U.png

AY59ddp.png

Also, please don't forget to ensure no autostruts between the Kit and facility (and no "To Heaviest Part" I think) to be sure, and also to ensure that if you're using any KJR, that it is marked compatible with GC. (There are a few posts about this earlier here where the wrong autostrut, or  the wrong Kerbal Joint Reinforcement version, could muck things up as well.)

Edited by B-STRK

Do workshops need a specific type of kerbals to function, I assumed I should put engineers in there, because when I try to construct a DIY kit after deploying it, the game says "no workers in the workshop" even though it's full of engineers. Is there another mechanic I'm missing here like something I need to add or activate in the mobile workshop?

KSP 1.9.1.2788

mod version 2.6.1.1

downloaded off CKAN

Save your game, preferably from the Space Center.  Then load the save you just created and go back to flying your craft.  The game should recognize your Engineers now.

My experience is that every time I move the Engineers around to  or from the Workshop or the Assembly Line parts, the mod seems to lose track of them.  I'm playing 1.11.2.  So I've made it a habit to save and load before I try to use the Workshop or Assembly line.

• 3 weeks later...
On 4/3/2021 at 5:51 PM, ich_gebe_auf said:

Do workshops need a specific type of kerbals to function, I assumed I should put engineers in there, because when I try to construct a DIY kit after deploying it, the game says "no workers in the workshop" even though it's full of engineers. Is there another mechanic I'm missing here like something I need to add or activate in the mobile workshop?

KSP 1.9.1.2788

mod version 2.6.1.1

downloaded off CKAN

1. what "workshop" part are you using?
2. do the engineers have any stars?  0 star engineers don't work, at least by default, there may be a way to reconfigure this; better idea is to train the engineers
3. are you also using MKS?  I think if you use MKS it changes the mechanics a bit.  I also use MKS; I generally use a 3.5m Tundra workshop on my ship that constructs the base/whatever from  the kit.

General procedure for GC + MKS:

1. land the kit on some planet or moon.  It's ok if it tips over when you land the kit, I found out.
2. Get a craft within 200m of the kit that has enough MaterialKits in it, an MKS Tundra Workshop with at least a few Kerbal engineers with 1 or more stars (the more total stars, the faster it builds). 
3. Deploy the kit.  Make sure you're not too close to the kit or it will push your craft away, which might be ok if it has wheels, or it might break stuff off.
4. When it finishes deploying, it'll either say "fixed to the ground and ready" or it'll spam you with "no ground contact!"  If you get the no ground contact warning, 1. make sure you're still within 200m, 2. switch to the kit and back with ] and [
5. Build it.  When it's done, there will be a DEPLOY button.  If it is red or gives an error, do the same thing as in step 4; verify distance, switch to and from the kit, now it should work

btw it is possible to build an all-in-one colonizer if you've got access to B9 HX parts, KSPIE, MKS, and GroundConstruction.  Made a 16,000t SSTO with FTL capability the other day, can build a colony really anywhere.  Has the workshop, the parts, and the kit all in one, requires no staging or refueling.  Obviously not stock propulsion, but not 'cheating', either.

• 2 weeks later...
8 hours ago, kennyc222 said:

Is any other ways to store the material kit using a tank?  (as  stock Ore Tank doesn't allow me to store my materialkit) As there is no where to store my newly produced material kit using ISRU

Other than config edit which is beyond my skill set, try the following mods: 

1. Configurable Containers, Allista (same mod author as Global Construction's). Convert existing tanks to store MaterialKits. 

2. USI Core, Roverdude. Dedicated tanks which can be switched in the build scene or in the field to carry MaterialKits, among other stock and CRP resources. 

3. I am not sure which specific Near Future Technology (Nertea) submod carries containers similar to the USI Core. But they're there.  EDIT: my mistake. After verification, they're in Station Parts Expansion Redux, also Nertea. 

Edited by B-STRK

• 1 month later...

Is there a quantifiable way to measure the rate at which electric charge is used during construction? Is it related to the number of Kerbals doing the constructing, their skill levels, how complete the construction is, a certain percentage per second of the total EC required, or another factor?

I know that there's a set amount that's used overall, I'd just like to know the rate at which it's used so that I can modify my base's power supply to compensate for it.

• 2 weeks later...

@allistaI wonder how the pre-deployment container size was determined, I mean before the ship was released. For me it grows into sth that is disproportionally large (comparing to the launched ship).

I wonder if the unfolded solar panels etc. was taken into account, though they came out folded after launch.

Edited by Ender65535

Would it be possible to have parts like the K&K launchpad act as an assembly space? I'd love to be able to construct DIY kits on the launchpad and assemble them right there. Unfortunately, EPLP hasn't been updated to 1.11 yet and doesn't work in 1.11, so options on having an art style consistent base are nonexistent if you want to be able to build and launch rockets. I took a look in the part cfg, and it refers to an internalspace in the ground assembly line for the assembly space so I'm assuming it's not something I'd be able to tinker with and get working...

so I have a dockable kit container with a ship loaded in it.  I've tried attaching it to my tug both ways; this time I have the D-> pointed outward, as I assume that's correct, but it doesn't matter.  If I right click the kit, it says "dockable: False" and will not dock with.. anything I've tried.  Why is "kit dockable: False" ?  there are no options for this in VAB, only shows this info in-flight.. what am I doing wrong here?

On 7/9/2021 at 4:09 PM, ss8913 said:

so I have a dockable kit container with a ship loaded in it.  I've tried attaching it to my tug both ways; this time I have the D-> pointed outward, as I assume that's correct, but it doesn't matter.  If I right click the kit, it says "dockable: False" and will not dock with.. anything I've tried.  Why is "kit dockable: False" ?  there are no options for this in VAB, only shows this info in-flight.. what am I doing wrong here?

so, one solution to this is just to put a docking port ON the container, and dock it.. after the ship gets built, the extra docking port just kinda falls off and sometimes explodes, but that's not too inconvenient.. put an empty Recyclables Kontainer on your factory and have an engineer EVA and recycle the thing... still not sure that's how these kits are SUPPOSED to work?  But that's a functional workaround for now at least :)

On 7/15/2021 at 4:00 PM, ss8913 said:

so, one solution to this is just to put a docking port ON the container, and dock it.. after the ship gets built, the extra docking port just kinda falls off and sometimes explodes, but that's not too inconvenient.. put an empty Recyclables Kontainer on your factory and have an engineer EVA and recycle the thing... still not sure that's how these kits are SUPPOSED to work?  But that's a functional workaround for now at least :)

... or so I thought.  I cannot seem to get the orbital kits to work, although perhaps I'm not following the instructions EXACTLY as in the tutorial...?  What I want to do is:

1. build an orbital factory with material kits, specialized parts, an MKS assembly plant, and some skilled engineers in it.  Plus fuels and whatever else is needed for the craft
2. Send up an orbital kit box from the ground
3. Dock this kit to the station
4. Build the kit in orbit
5. Fly the resulting craft around

I see in the tutorial video where the kit comes out of the kit builder thing and then gets docked to a docking port;  I can't get this to work.  Right clicking on the kit just says "Dockable: False" and it won't attach to anything.

The only variant of this I can get to work is if I build the factory on the ground *with the kit already attached to it* .. then I can build it in space just fine.. but attaching the kit to it later, which is by far more useful than having to build a new factory each time you want to build a kit, I can't get that to work.  Any advice?  Or do the kits have to be built in orbit also, like in the tutorial video?

P.S. - don't attempt to 'recycle' any antimatter storage containers (ie, the ones in KSP Interstellar Extended),.  This will cause a catastrophic antimatter detonation which will annihilate anything within physics range ;) ... at least, provided that they're full.

OK, so if I send up an "orbital workshop" attached to the kit.. I can build it, although the MKS assembly plant insists things must be landed, so I have to transfer crew into the orbital workshop.  Which it doesn't seem to recognize them as being there until I EVA one of them and come back.  so I deploy and build.. if at any point while timewarping for the 2 day build process, I stop timewarping, the entire factory catastrophically and instantly explodes.  And, I just saw that this mod is only marked as supported up to 1.10.0, so maybe that's why, and I should just wait for a 1.12.x update?  No idea what's going wrong.  Logs just have a ton of 'structural failure between <X> and <Y>'

6 hours ago, JcoolTheShipbuilder said:

Is it feasible to build 35,000 ton colony ships with this mod?

You can build it, but or will probably clip inside your building station once finished, and destroy everything. 

So yeah, go for it!:0.0:

4 hours ago, ss8913 said:

OK, so if I send up an "orbital workshop" attached to the kit.. I can build it, although the MKS assembly plant insists things must be landed, so I have to transfer crew into the orbital workshop.  Which it doesn't seem to recognize them as being there until I EVA one of them and come back.  so I deploy and build.. if at any point while timewarping for the 2 day build process, I stop timewarping, the entire factory catastrophically and instantly explodes.  And, I just saw that this mod is only marked as supported up to 1.10.0, so maybe that's why, and I should just wait for a 1.12.x update?  No idea what's going wrong.  Logs just have a ton of 'structural failure between <X> and <Y>'

It's been a while since I used GC, can't really remember if I used it on 1.11.

Don't have the game open to check, but that sure is some odd behaviour you're having. Never seen it.

As for an update, allista has been away for a while, I wouldn't count on it...

Has anyone tried this with 1.12?

It's been a while so I might be missing something obvious, but I had my Munar base build a ground DIY container from the assembly line, but in the workshop to do the deploy and build, there's... nothing.  I sent out a mechanic on EVA to deploy the thing, which appeared to work, but still no sign of any way to actually do the final build - admittedly this is using an MKS workshop, but the workshop window appears just fine.  My orbital station with a dockable kit container in progress *seems* to be unaffected... does even a ground kit need to be 'docked' to the workshop or something?

-- Update: After some experimentation... It looks like the build process does in fact work, unless the thing you're trying to build is a KIS container full of Bon Voyage Autopilot Controllers.  (Having one actually on the vessel seems fine.)  So, mod conflicts for the win, I guess!  Today I learned...

Edited by ChrisF0001
Updated

On 7/17/2021 at 12:00 AM, modus said:

It's been a while since I used GC, can't really remember if I used it on 1.11.

Don't have the game open to check, but that sure is some odd behaviour you're having. Never seen it.

As for an update, allista has been away for a while, I wouldn't count on it...

so I figured out the exploding thing... every once in a while, and in any context, and it makes no sense, timewarping over 100x will cause whatever ship has focus, to explode when returning to 1x time; that's what happened here.  Got my ship to finally build with global konstruction, but I did notice that the constructed ship, if any part clipping is present on it, will oddly morph the part joints apart at odd angles, and sometimes pieces will start shaking around and break off. 

• 2 weeks later...

Hi. I have a problem that building second DIY kit in ground assembly line, the DIY kit did not came out and the Assembly line show status "occupied.  What to do?  I did not see open button?

Edited: I found the problem: the biggest solar panel from Near future (OKEB 150R) was an issue.

Edited by Kalessin1