Jump to content

[1.9-1.10] Global Construction


Recommended Posts

I have a orbital set up and started testing things.

Test 1

Build a ship. first one is a Tug for moving things around.  Build progressed fine and then came the launch. Thinking it would be a good idea to keep it docked till i got done with another build, I selected docked and not launch As it turned out DOCKED does not mean docked like to a docking port. DOCKED means ATTACHED to the structure. Minor point but confusing. 

Redo the test, launch the tug and dock to a docking port. Works

Test 2

Build a new container to replace the one i used. This was easy, build was fast. So i used my tug to move over and dock to the new container, on the transportation node

Now comes the fun part, no docking locations, not even the real docking ports work. So i have MechJeb 2.8.4 and it does not see the " Control from Here: Construction".  I dock with a secondary docking port on the tug to a real docking port  and thinking that could i build something here with it on the tug. Seems to work at the start but then the container just decouples from my ship and floats away.

So how do you find all these hidden docking location? Looking at the youtube video it looks like the Dockable kit Container was located on the end if the Orbital Workshop. How was this done? Hidden port location all over the ship?

 

Link to post
Share on other sites
  • 2 weeks later...

I just installed this mod am excited to get it working, but am having some trouble. Specifically, when I try to pack something into the DIY Kit in the VAB by clicking Select Vessel, after choosing the ship, nothing happens and almost everything in the VAB becomes unclickable and I have to shut down KSP. I can still right-click on the DIY kit and see that dialogue, as well as a couple random buttons around the VAB (e.g. I can click "Switch Editor" but can't move between the Build/Crew tabs). I'm hoping this has a simple answer and is just a case of me being dumb and overlooking something obvious, but I also wonder if it is a mod compatibility issue. I currently have installed:

Simplex Tech Tree
Bon Voyage
KAS
RSS and dependencies including Kopernicus (<- from a post a couple pages back, I wonder if this is the issue)
SMURFF
Snacks!
World Stabilizer

I was looking forward to some way to ship things into orbit at a lower weight and then construct them off planet and will be bummed if this mod doesn't work with my other ones. In any case, if anyone has any suggestions that would be terrific!

Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, GP_LeChuck said:

I just installed this mod am excited to get it working, but am having some trouble. Specifically, when I try to pack something into the DIY Kit in the VAB by clicking Select Vessel, after choosing the ship, nothing happens and almost everything in the VAB becomes unclickable and I have to shut down KSP. I can still right-click on the DIY kit and see that dialogue, as well as a couple random buttons around the VAB (e.g. I can click "Switch Editor" but can't move between the Build/Crew tabs). I'm hoping this has a simple answer and is just a case of me being dumb and overlooking something obvious, but I also wonder if it is a mod compatibility issue. I currently have installed:

 

You need the Ground Kit Container not the Dockable Kit Container. The Dockable Kit Container
is just for use in space to build a kit. The Ground Kit Container is used in the VAB.

Right click on it and, select the menu option, select vessel, load it, and you are good 
to go. Now you have to move it to an assembly area to build it. 

Dockable Kit Container is build the kit and then assemble it in space.

It confusing, i know and so is the UI.

Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, DareDrop said:

You need the Ground Kit Container not the Dockable Kit Container. The Dockable Kit Container
is just for use in space to build a kit. The Ground Kit Container is used in the VAB.

Right click on it and, select the menu option, select vessel, load it, and you are good 
to go. Now you have to move it to an assembly area to build it. 

Dockable Kit Container is build the kit and then assemble it in space.

It confusing, i know and so is the UI.

Sorry, I wasn't clear--the issue I'm having is actually with the Ground Kit Container itself. Choosing a ship from the "Select Vessel" dialogue seems to cause the game to hang up by not letting me click on anything else, meaning I have to Alt-F4 to get out of KSP. Selecting subassemblies or parts doesn't cause this same error, although these don't seem to work properly either--rather than the kit updating according to its contents, the selected part/subassembly just spawns nearby as if it were another part on the ship. I'm assuming it's some sort of mod compatibility error, although I'm also running 1.7.3 with Breaking Ground if either of those have been known to cause any problems.

Link to post
Share on other sites

I managed to solve my earlier problem with the DIY Kit, but I am now struggling to figure out how to store Material Kits. Is there any component included with this mod which stores them? I'd like to keep things as lightweight as possible, so if there's any way to build directly from ore that'd be ideal, but if I need to download some sort of material kit storage container, where do I do that? Is Configurable Containers the best solution?

Link to post
Share on other sites

The Assembly Lines and Workshops have built-in storage. If you want additional storage options, yes, you can use Configurable Containers.

CC also allows reconfiguring storage when they're empty. So you can just have 1 huge tank and configure it in the field.

@allista... Hi! I started a new game using only the last nightly build for GC/CC/Hangar/AT_Utils. I noticed while building my asteroid base that the parts have axis markers displayed. I suppose they're for debugging purposes. Is it possible to turn them off via CFG settings?

Thanks.

Link to post
Share on other sites

Hi,

I just start to use your mod and after reading a bit this post I saw that you got trouble with Kerbal Joint Reinforcement.

 

I saw you that you fixed it a first time and after an uptade it seems to be broken again... I can confirm that I have that problem.

So, I'm using CKAN and with KJR next in my active mod list with 

 - the dockable kit in the wrong way (meaning the circle not docked to the station but facing outside as soon as I add a vessel the kit will grow and detach it self.

- if in the right position like it's on your videos, and all the Image I could see here... the kit will grow then explode, console show some colisions before the explosion

Without KJR next I just did the 2nd test :

- the kit grow and I can access the next part, choosing to launch, dock, and the launch "direction" if I remember corectly ...

Could give use an update on the fix ?

I think I used Editor Extensions Redux to 

- struts to the heaviest part

- and Activate Rigidity

 

[deleted a part about a bug in Hangar, will post it in the right topic]

I'm ready to help investigate that whenever you have time :)

and A question about the log files if someone can answer that should be great... how the game manage his logs is it trash every log files when loading or something else and what ? to know when I should keep my logs when I find a bug like that and do some test... instead of redo them to save a clean file I would just keep the files while just trying things ;)

 

Thanks!

Edited by BrettDah
Link to post
Share on other sites
14 hours ago, BrettDah said:

and A question about the log files if someone can answer that should be great... how the game manage his logs is it trash every log files when loading or something else and what ? to know when I should keep my logs when I find a bug like that and do some test... instead of redo them to save a clean file I would just keep the files while just trying things

If I understand your question, KSP and your installed mods (for example, Module Manager, Kopernicus, etc.) will overwrite their log files on each start.  When using the logs for debugging purposes, I suggest you:

  1. start a game with the minimum mods required to replicate the problem,
  2. duplicate the problem within the game with minimal delay, and
  3. then quit KSP.

This keeps the log files small and removes many unrelated log entries.  Copy the log file(s) to another folder somewhere for future reference and uploading.

See the link, below, for help in finding the KSP log files and providing helpful data to mod authors.  Some mods create their own logs; see their topics for more information.

Link to post
Share on other sites
8 hours ago, Brigadier said:

If I understand your question, KSP and your installed mods (for example, Module Manager, Kopernicus, etc.) will overwrite their log files on each start.  When using the logs for debugging purposes, I suggest you:

  1. start a game with the minimum mods required to replicate the problem,
  2. duplicate the problem within the game with minimal delay, and
  3. then quit KSP.

This keeps the log files small and removes many unrelated log entries.  Copy the log file(s) to another folder somewhere for future reference and uploading.

See the link, below, for help in finding the KSP log files and providing helpful data to mod authors.  Some mods create their own logs; see their topics for more information.

Hi Yep that was the question you pinpoint it ;) thank you :)

I'm about to edit my post I saw that I've got 2 mod by @allista  Hangar and GC and speaking of both there... not a great Idea for a first post.

Edit : done

Edited by BrettDah
Link to post
Share on other sites

Hello @allista,
I have being using the global-construction in a very intense way I think, I am very big fan of it!

Specially for ground Construction: (sample)

mI00GdA.png

Where this airplane after landed on the Mun in VSTOL landing, from a normal takeoff from Kerbin using the runway.

After that I used the small ground factory on board to create the Big Ground Factory and then just for a demo propose factored the small buggy specialized on science.

 

But now I am trying to do a similar thing but with the big mother-ship in orbit to construct the VSTOL Airplane it self, and when I am doing that, I am getting these errors:

[LOG 21:33:26.858] WST: findAttachedKASPylons:0: Looking for KAS pylons attached to the ground in KspiTriAlphaFusionReactor (AlfaStellarShuttle-v5-7)
[LOG 21:33:26.858] WST: findAttachedKASPylons:0: Found 0 pylons
[LOG 21:33:26.859] Packing AlfaStellarShuttle-v5-7 for orbit
[EXC 21:34:10.823] NullReferenceException: Object reference not set to an instance of an object
    GroundConstruction.CompositeJob`1[T].DoSomeWork (Double work)
    GroundConstruction.VesselKit.DoSomeWork (Double work)
    GroundConstruction.VesselKitWorkshop`1[KitInfo].do_some_work (Double available_work)
    GroundConstruction.WorkshopBase`2[T,E].FixedUpdate ()
[EXC 21:34:10.862] NullReferenceException: Object reference not set to an instance of an object
    GroundConstruction.CompositeJob`1[T].DoSomeWork (Double work)
    GroundConstruction.VesselKit.DoSomeWork (Double work)
    GroundConstruction.VesselKitWorkshop`1[KitInfo].do_some_work (Double available_work)
    GroundConstruction.WorkshopBase`2[T,E].FixedUpdate ()
(...)

...always generate the above exception when reach 93.8%:

 

CtSolNi.png

urX5U9j.png

 

Also an image of Airplane being build on orbit:

h4GnYIl.png

 

Thanks in advance for your help!

Edited by pmborg
Link to post
Share on other sites
19 hours ago, pmborg said:

[EXC 21:34:10.823] NullReferenceException: Object reference not set to an instance of an object
    GroundConstruction.CompositeJob`1[T].DoSomeWork (Double work)
    GroundConstruction.VesselKit.DoSomeWork (Double work)
    GroundConstruction.VesselKitWorkshop`1[KitInfo].do_some_work (Double available_work)
    GroundConstruction.WorkshopBase`2[T,E].FixedUpdate ()
[EXC 21:34:10.862] NullReferenceException: Object reference not set to an instance of an object
    GroundConstruction.CompositeJob`1[T].DoSomeWork (Double work)
    GroundConstruction.VesselKit.DoSomeWork (Double work)
    GroundConstruction.VesselKitWorkshop`1[KitInfo].do_some_work (Double available_work)
    GroundConstruction.WorkshopBase`2[T,E].FixedUpdate ()
(...)

Thanks for the report!

Hm... I'll need the KSP_Data\output_log.txt and probably the savefile where the Airplane is under construction to understand better what happens.

Link to post
Share on other sites
On 10/1/2019 at 12:23 AM, bcqJC said:

I suppose they're for debugging purposes. Is it possible to turn them off via CFG settings?

Yes, they're for debugging, but unfortunately they cannot be disabled. I'll rebuild the nightly builds with proper compiler flags.

Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, allista said:

Thanks for the report!

Hm... I'll need the KSP_Data\output_log.txt and probably the savefile where the Airplane is under construction to understand better what happens.

Hello again @allista,

File name: LOG.zip, Packed a zip file https://www.dropbox.com/s/aqwegr3n1dqrpl7/LOG.zip?dl=0

C:\Users\pedro\Dropbox\Kerbal\LOG>dir /B

Goes immediate to the error:
1.loadmeta
1.sfs

Original on ground launch position:
3.loadmeta
3.sfs

At orbit:
4.loadmeta
4.sfs

LOG File: KSP.log

Please let me know if you need more files.

Thanks!

 

 

Link to post
Share on other sites
  • 3 weeks later...
On 10/28/2019 at 5:23 AM, Lan Mandragoran said:

Hello, does anyone know if it works in 1.8?

I just gave it a try and it is not working in 1.8.1.
Note that I use GC as per distributed with MKS (Global Construction Core in CKAN).

In VAB, when you try to place a DIY kit, it only displays a connection point, not the geometry itself.
Additional information: https://forum.kerbalspaceprogram.com/index.php?/topic/154587-18x-modular-kolonization-system-mks/&do=findComment&comment=3697097

 

P.D. A big thank you to the author: amazing mod!

Link to post
Share on other sites
  • 2 weeks later...
On 10/30/2019 at 1:06 PM, Kazvan said:

I just gave it a try and it is not working in 1.8.1.

 

(Edit: I can see on GitHub that this is already being worked on by Allista, many thanks for that)

Hi, I can also confirm that it does not work. So far I have just tried with the GC bundled with the latest MKS (which was just updated to 1.8), and I realized FPS in VAB was dropping to 7, just there though, everywhere else it was fine, 60 FPS. It was obvious pretty quickly that GC is to blame, the log file was full with errors, like this one:

GroundConstruction.GCEditorGUI.Update () (at <a26fea3135b742cca1079f8c33d56f9e>:0)
[EXC 08:10:34.733] MissingFieldException: Field 'KSPWheelController.wheelCollider' not found.
        AT_Utils.Metric..ctor (IShipconstruct vessel, System.Boolean compute_hull, System.Boolean world_space) (at <bbe469d35c1343f6b99c4f5a80dc2620>:0)
        GroundConstruction.VesselKit..ctor (PartModule host, ShipConstruct ship, System.Boolean assembled, System.Boolean simulate) (at <a26fea3135b742cca1
079f8c33d56f9e>:0)
 

 

Edited by bounty123
Link to post
Share on other sites

@bcqJC

Thank you for the 2 cents :cool:
I've tried to address the issues you've pointed to the best I can without diving deeper into uGUI intricacies.

Here's what it looks like now...
*sorry for the black borders -- the KSP window was smaller than the viewport :confused:
 

 

Edited by allista
Link to post
Share on other sites
On 9/1/2019 at 11:13 AM, jd284 said:

How do I disable the saves created on deployment and launch of the kits? I have a good savegame management so I don't need this and it  clutters my quicksave list. Didn't see any options for this in the settings or config files.

Good point. Currently there's no way; I always considered it to be a must have safeguard against kraken. But it's easy to add, at least via .user config override file. Maybe via UI as well.

Here's the issue for you to track:

https://github.com/allista/GroundConstruction/issues/65

On 9/1/2019 at 3:14 PM, Dr Von Korgbil said:

Hi. Im new-ish to ksp (done some landings and the like) and im curious about this mod.

 

I tried to test it to see if i could get it working by making a ground base with:

  * a ground assembly line

  * fuel tanks for liquid/mono/ox

  * storage for metal/machine/sp/material kits

  * engineer in ground base

 

I can then deploy it onto the landing pad, bring up the workshop and make a ground kit with a small vehicle in it. The assembly line spits out a box. I can relocate the box with an engineer. I can deploy it and it expands. But after that i *dont* see it in the list of things to finish off. I cant work out how to turn it from deployed to the final product, as the only thing that appears in the list is the ground base itself.

 

(i have a screen shot of 2 deployed boxes which are not in the workshop list)

 

Could someone post an idiots walk through of how to build something with this mod. Eg

  * build a craft with ground assembly line, engineers, tanks for XYZ

  * deploy to runway

  * workshop, build a vehicle probe, assembly line spits out a box

  * deploy the box by placing it, switching to it, selecting 'deploy' from the DIY kits menu

  * finalise construction by ?  <--- this is the bit im stuck on.

  * ta-da! done!

 

That would be a lot of help for newbies.

Aside from the assembly line you need a construction workshop. You've assembled the kit, deployed it; now you need to construct what's inside, adding all that is produced on site from material kits. So:

* Assembly line: created the container, prints essential equipment and sophisticated components and puts them inside.

* Then Construction workshop: construct the final product from the kit and material kits, adding structural components, hull plating and such.

 

On 8/31/2019 at 10:52 AM, strudo76 said:

Hey there. Thanks for fixing Global Construction for 1.6.1, however the AT-Utils is still not showing in CKAN for a 1.6.1 install and 1.6 selected as a compatible version.

Selecting 1.7 show the AT-Utils package available and the most recent version shows KSP 1.6.1-1.7.2, but it isn't listed at all without 1.7 selected.

Not sure if it's my end, CKAN or your end, so hopefully you can sort out what's going on.

Thanks

There's always the question of availability of MM and CRP on which everything depends. Always check the dependency tree to find out why a seemingly compatible mod is not shown as such.

Link to post
Share on other sites
On 9/13/2019 at 11:10 PM, DareDrop said:

Test 2

Build a new container to replace the one i used. This was easy, build was fast. So i used my tug to move over and dock to the new container, on the transportation node

Now comes the fun part, no docking locations, not even the real docking ports work. So i have MechJeb 2.8.4 and it does not see the " Control from Here: Construction".  I dock with a secondary docking port on the tug to a real docking port  and thinking that could i build something here with it on the tug. Seems to work at the start but then the container just decouples from my ship and floats away.

So how do you find all these hidden docking location? Looking at the youtube video it looks like the Dockable kit Container was located on the end if the Orbital Workshop. How was this done? Hidden port location all over the ship?

Sounds like a bug, but I'll have to reproduce it. The container has two plane and simple docking ports, one on each narrow end. If you don't see them, they're broken somehow... :confused:

Link to post
Share on other sites

Version 2.5.0 for Kerbal Space Program 1.8.1

Released on 2019-11-14

Recycling

  • Supports KSP-1.8.1
  • Recycle nearby vessels back into Mat.Kits and Sp.Parts:
    • Recycling is done by the construction workshops.
    • Nearby means no further than 300m from the workshop, like the construction limit for ground workshops.
    • Recycling is done part-by-part in the order in which the vessel was assembled in VAB/SPH, i.e. along the Part Tree.
    • A vessel may be recycled partially, i.e. you may choose to recycle just one branch of the Part Tree, or even a single leaf part.
    • The obtained resources (MK, SP and anything that was inside of a recycled part) are moved into the recycling vessel and distributed within available storage.
      • If there's no room left for a resource, the part is not recycled, but skipped, and the Recycler moves on and tries to recycle other available parts.
    • If there's crew inside of a part, it is skipped.
    • Orbital Workshop also recycles remotely.
    • The vessel to which the workshop belongs can also be recycled, with the exception of the workshop itself.
  • Creation of an empty kit container consumes resources that would be required to actually assemble and construct it.
  • Added the Final Assembly - last phase of the construction: It represents some work that needs to be done after construction is complete. Does not require any resources but the time.
  • Numerous bugfixes and improvements:
    • Do not allow assembly/construction in the docked container if it is not docked through the construction node.
    • If the effective workforce is zero, the construction is stopped.
    • Deploy hint is disabled when the payload is launched.
    • Added ModuleConstructionKit and DockedKitContainer to ignored PartModules.
    • Improved Docked Kit Container texture.
    • Fixed resizing with KJRn and robotic parts.
    • Fixed NRE in part prefabs of ConstructionWorkshops.
    • Multiple fixes in the assembly/construction framework.
    • Multiple fixes in docked spawning.
    • Several fixes in spawning of empty containers.
    • Fixed infinite loop in WorkshopBase.start_next_item.
    • Corrected some typos.

 Download 

Edited by allista
Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.
Note: Your post will require moderator approval before it will be visible.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

×
×
  • Create New...