[1.9-1.10] Global Construction

28 minutes ago, bcqJC said:

Check that your installation has all the requirements.

For me, this works in 1.11.1. I've gone through the cycle of capturing an asteroid, mining it for Ore, converted that Ore to Material kits using ISRUs, then coverting the MatKits to SpecializedParts, and eventually constructing craft.

Never mind, worked now I found smelter ore from Convert-O-Tron, I haven't played KSP bit long time ago.

• 1 month later...
1 hour ago, Nantares said:

can this mod built a big spacecraft? (like beadypenguin's one)

Never gone that size yet, but you can test it by  cheating a construction facility and resources and engineers into orbit and seeing if it can hold up to it.

In theory, there should be no problem as, so as long as the deployment area for the Orbital Kit is clear, and you have the resources,  microgravity means the entire setup shouldn't tear itself apart no matter how big the deployed box gets. That doesn't mean however it couldn't happen: the connection between the kit and the construction facility is a docking port,  and if you try and maneuver the construction yard with SAS on, it can induce an oscillation feeding into the docked (and deployed) kit that, considering its weight, can build up destructively. I imagine if you leave the SAS off until the vessel is deployed, it can do so. 

Like I said: I never got to that size in my playthrough yet, but to give you an idea of what is going on, I'll drop in a couple of picks to demonstrate what I mean (spoilered to save space and loading):

Spoiler

rc0bV0U.png

AY59ddp.png

Also, please don't forget to ensure no autostruts between the Kit and facility (and no "To Heaviest Part" I think) to be sure, and also to ensure that if you're using any KJR, that it is marked compatible with GC. (There are a few posts about this earlier here where the wrong autostrut, or  the wrong Kerbal Joint Reinforcement version, could muck things up as well.)

Edited by B-STRK

Do workshops need a specific type of kerbals to function, I assumed I should put engineers in there, because when I try to construct a DIY kit after deploying it, the game says "no workers in the workshop" even though it's full of engineers. Is there another mechanic I'm missing here like something I need to add or activate in the mobile workshop?

KSP 1.9.1.2788

mod version 2.6.1.1

downloaded off CKAN

Save your game, preferably from the Space Center.  Then load the save you just created and go back to flying your craft.  The game should recognize your Engineers now.

My experience is that every time I move the Engineers around to  or from the Workshop or the Assembly Line parts, the mod seems to lose track of them.  I'm playing 1.11.2.  So I've made it a habit to save and load before I try to use the Workshop or Assembly line.

• 3 weeks later...
On 4/3/2021 at 5:51 PM, ich_gebe_auf said:

Do workshops need a specific type of kerbals to function, I assumed I should put engineers in there, because when I try to construct a DIY kit after deploying it, the game says "no workers in the workshop" even though it's full of engineers. Is there another mechanic I'm missing here like something I need to add or activate in the mobile workshop?

KSP 1.9.1.2788

mod version 2.6.1.1

downloaded off CKAN

1. what "workshop" part are you using?
2. do the engineers have any stars?  0 star engineers don't work, at least by default, there may be a way to reconfigure this; better idea is to train the engineers
3. are you also using MKS?  I think if you use MKS it changes the mechanics a bit.  I also use MKS; I generally use a 3.5m Tundra workshop on my ship that constructs the base/whatever from  the kit.

General procedure for GC + MKS:

1. land the kit on some planet or moon.  It's ok if it tips over when you land the kit, I found out.
2. Get a craft within 200m of the kit that has enough MaterialKits in it, an MKS Tundra Workshop with at least a few Kerbal engineers with 1 or more stars (the more total stars, the faster it builds). 
3. Deploy the kit.  Make sure you're not too close to the kit or it will push your craft away, which might be ok if it has wheels, or it might break stuff off.
4. When it finishes deploying, it'll either say "fixed to the ground and ready" or it'll spam you with "no ground contact!"  If you get the no ground contact warning, 1. make sure you're still within 200m, 2. switch to the kit and back with ] and [
5. Build it.  When it's done, there will be a DEPLOY button.  If it is red or gives an error, do the same thing as in step 4; verify distance, switch to and from the kit, now it should work

btw it is possible to build an all-in-one colonizer if you've got access to B9 HX parts, KSPIE, MKS, and GroundConstruction.  Made a 16,000t SSTO with FTL capability the other day, can build a colony really anywhere.  Has the workshop, the parts, and the kit all in one, requires no staging or refueling.  Obviously not stock propulsion, but not 'cheating', either.

• 2 weeks later...
8 hours ago, kennyc222 said:

Is any other ways to store the material kit using a tank?  (as  stock Ore Tank doesn't allow me to store my materialkit) As there is no where to store my newly produced material kit using ISRU

Other than config edit which is beyond my skill set, try the following mods: 

1. Configurable Containers, Allista (same mod author as Global Construction's). Convert existing tanks to store MaterialKits. 

2. USI Core, Roverdude. Dedicated tanks which can be switched in the build scene or in the field to carry MaterialKits, among other stock and CRP resources. 

3. I am not sure which specific Near Future Technology (Nertea) submod carries containers similar to the USI Core. But they're there.  EDIT: my mistake. After verification, they're in Station Parts Expansion Redux, also Nertea. 

Edited by B-STRK