[1.9-1.10] Global Construction

allista

3 hours ago, RoverDude said:

FYI, on the MKS side since it has other ways of making MatKits, the ore converter will not be present (though the Ore->MatKits option will likely re-manifest with MKS-Lite, similar to how MKS adjusts OSE Ore->MatKit converters).

Hmm, Guess Bill Won't be pulling the ISRU and drills off of a fuel drone to make that mobile workshop generate it's own MK after all...

(and if the MKS inflatable workshop provides a decent skill percentage, the DIY workshop craft currently en-route to Duna may be raided for it's MK, and only get assembled if I want a rover for harvesting Resource Nodules once everything else is built/expanded). 

You two certainly know how to build anticipation for your next release...

Hi,

I don't know if your mod causes the issue, but my KSP.log is filled with numerous logs as:

Coroutine couldn't be started because the the game object 'SpaceCrane' is inactive!

809 instances in a relatively short game. I noticed this error happening mostly (or exclusively) while in VAB.

Perhaps it's nothing, I don't know. Just curious and wanted to share.

can I use this with EPL? I want to bring the EPL Launchpad to minimus, but I always have trouble landing it. Would I be able to put the Launchpad in 1 DIY kit, put a simple mining thing into a second DIY kit, put the refinery/storage for the metal needed by EPL into a third, and then un pack them and connect them via KIS/KAS?

1 hour ago, nascarlaser1 said:

can I use this with EPL? I want to bring the EPL Launchpad to minimus, but I always have trouble landing it. Would I be able to put the Launchpad in 1 DIY kit, put a simple mining thing into a second DIY kit, put the refinery/storage for the metal needed by EPL into a third, and then un pack them and connect them via KIS/KAS?

Seems feasible.

6 hours ago, nascarlaser1 said:

Sure thing, that's exactly what GC is for. And it doesn't matter what parts do you use: stock, ELP's or from any other mod.

I was trying to build a way-station on the Mun(my bases are too far from the equator to be convenient, so it is a large habitation base with logistics and a few inflatable storage modules to make it quick and easy to refuel/refill ships, also plenty of habitation and LS, with a plan to ship up 1-2 dozen Kolonists when it is done).

My assembly vehicle has 4 50% 1 engineer modules and a ~45% 2 engineer module(along with storage to pull supplies and material kits from PL;  One 4 star engineer in a 50% module, the rest have 3 stars, total should be ~9 skill hours).

* Is there a reason I need to associate and start each potential Workshop module independently, even when on the same vessel?

* Is there a way for the 'time remaining' to reflect the total number of kerbals currently working on the project instead of only reflecting the ones in the selected workshop module?

At first I thought that each time I activated a module, it was deactivating the others, but I remembered something about multiple workshops working together from reading this thread, so I watched the 'time remaining' closely and saw that it was going down much faster than the game clock(with the workshop windows open from several workshops at the same time on the active vessel; if just looking at the dash-board from KSC, they are all going down at the same speed as the game clock)

The completion estimates for that project range from >90 days to <50 days depending on which module you look at, and my math suggests that ~15 days is closer to correct(which is good, as I only have ~30 days of habitation on the assembly ship)

Admittedly, this is my first assembly effort which is not taking place on the runway, so I may have missed a few steps.

I am also wondering why the expanded Way-Station box looks like the Way-Station will be standing on-end instead of resting on it's wheels, which is the orientation I saved it in in the VAB.  (Could be related to loading the ship into the box while the box was on it's side in the VAB, then setting it down upright on the mun)

On the plus-side my split-ship design worked quite well if you account for an over-abundance of attitude control(top part with sky-hook engines and a small fuel tank, bottom part with main engines and fuel tank, both attached to the DIY kit with a large docking port.  After landing, disconnect the top, fly top to the side, extend landing legs on the DIY kit, tilt bottom to the side to get DIY kit on it's feet then detach and right bottom part, then try to land the top part on the bottom part, refuel as needed and send home)

Update: When deployed the way-station had the correct orientation, it was just the expanded box that was oriented wrong, and that just means you should have extra space around your box when you deploy it.

It looks like each Workshop works on one piece at a time, so a vessel made mostly out of welded pieces may get minimal benefits from multiple workshops.  The time remaining seems to be an estimate based on how long it would take to build all the pieces that have not yet been built by other workshops plus time remaining on the current piece.

On the whole it seems to work pretty well, just a few bits that could use some refinement.

After a comment in the MKS thread I did some testing and it seems that sending a DIY kit to build a return cargo vessel to be filled with expensive resources on-site(Rare Metals/Exotic Minerals/Refined Uranium in MKS) actually costs you as much for the kit for the empty cargo vessel as you can get by retrieving the fully loaded cargo vessel on the launch pad.

Is this intentional?

I have verified that if you package up an empty nuclear reactor that it is still empty when it is deployed out of the kit, meaning that it may well cost me *more* to send the nuclear fuel up with the Material kits as opposed to inside the DIY kit. 

Is there a reason for this, or perhaps a way to configure it?

I am not sure how to ask this question as an I am only a player, not a programmer / modder:

I suppose, that this might be a mix of MKS / Planetary Warehouse to Ground Construction question?  [again not sure how to pose this]

MKS:  I have a dependable infrastructure on the Mun, where I can [on demand] get LFO, MonoProp and other resources

Ground Construction: Built a rocket via Material kits, when I was presented with the "transfer' option, it indicated that I would be able to successfully transfer 100% LFO, but only about 80% Mono.  Upon completion of the craft, the LFO was not filled correctly, but the Mono was.

LOL , as a rule, I have been placing the kits within KAS pip range and using a kerbal to top off the tanks.

Just thought that I would post this, didn't know of this was a known issue or not.

Something is up with the price calculations.  A fully made MKS base, with reactors and full resources, is about 2 million credits in the VAB.  If I drain out all the resources, then make a new ship and create a box with that same (empty) base...the price doubles to about 4 million credits.

Ground Construction v1.1.2 for KSP 1.2.2 (2017.02.22)

ChangeLog:

Spoiler
  • Added custom part subcategory for GC workshops.
  • Added separate CKAN package for MKS bundle. Now GC is provided in two packages: GroundConstruction-Core and GroundConstruction (full). MKS only depends on the Core part.
  • Increased the VolumePerKerbal from 3 to 8 m3. This effectively removes workshop capability from small cockpits, leaving it only in parts like Cupola or Science Lab.
  • Fixed the "cannot construct while moving" issue. Fixed zombie kits under construction.
  • Fixed vessel name loss in GC UI after undocking/decoupling.
  • Moved to the new DIY Kit model made by @RoverDude.

OK, the next thing on the list is to deal with the cost problem.

Could someone please make a github issue about it, summarizing the facts?

Generally it is much better to report bugs on github, because it instantly catches my attention, allows specialized discussion and progress tracking.

I've totally missed the forum for the past week due to work :( 

I added a Github issue for this as well, but I wanted to mention here:

Checking a workshop for engineers appears to only happen at physics load.  This means you can't transfer an engineer into a workshop and then start construction - you have to leave the scene between the two steps.

5 hours ago, allista said:

@DStaal, also thank you!

But this is strange: the workers at the workshop are counted at many events, including GameEvents.onVesselCrewWasModified. I will recheck it, but so far I could not reproduce it.

Hmm.  I do run a fairly modded install - likely culprits are Ship Manifest and Connected Living Spaces.  I think I have a KSP version around without at least one of them - I'll try a test.

11 hours ago, pellinor said:

The USI Kontainers seem very expensive in terms of mass. The fractions I get are (kit mass / vessel mass)

* stock fiel tank: 0.3
* pile of science equipment: 0.75
* USI Kontainer: 0.7

Are they supposed to be that complex to build?

The complexity of a part (i.e. kit dry mass / part dry mass) is calculated as follows:

complexity = 1-1/(1+x) 

where

x =  (PartCost/part.mass+part.Modules.Count*1000)*k

So the main factor is the cost/mass ratio. If this kontainer is light but costs a lot, its kit/part mass ratio will be high.

Edit: I see the problem now. It's caused by the same calculation bug that results in the double-price bug. Will fix this tonight. Should be like this:

C3.Kontainer.02: complexity 0.4736842, KitMass 0.9473684 / PartMas 2 = 0.4736842, KitCost 5894.737 / PartCost 8000 = 0.7368421

Edited by allista

9 minutes ago, RoverDude said:

Thanks @allista:)

Will hold off on my release till I see yours go out, and will give time for CKAN to catch up with us :D

At least all automatic tests are passed on CKAN, so they should soon merge the PR.

It seems I've already fixed the price problem (though I would love the conformation from @Terwin; link to the fix is in the comment to the issue on github).

And I'm nearing my shutdown-on-keyboard threshold again :D

So if you're waiting for CKAN anyway, I'll publish in the morning... :blush:

Edited by allista

Looks good.

A 5m container now costs the same regardless of the content type.

Most parts holding resources also populate empty, even if they were full when designing the ship(not sure if this is new)

Resources identified in the config file(including EU, solid fuel and ablator) will increase the weight and cost of the kit if present on the vessel design and will then populate in the launched vessel.

Just now, RoverDude said:

Go rest :D

Toss me an email when the new version is up tomorrow, no rush

Since @Terwin was so quick to test things, I've already (just now) publish the fixed version! :cool:

Ground Construction v1.1.2.1 for KSP 1.2.2 (2017.02.24)

ChangeLog:

Spoiler
  • Fixed double cost bug.
  • Fixed complexity and kit mass calculation.