Post your Engineering Marvels Here for the World to See

• 3 weeks later...

Well here it goes, my totally original idea that the united states never tried, launch a space vehicle off from a plane like structure in the air! Actually makes a lot of sense since jets are supereffective but dragging them and wings to space is ridiculous, only the rocket parts need to go up there.

Here's the posing on the runway:

XSUDyIo.jpg

And here is the rest of it on imgur along with the prototype that i built at first. Although kerbal has the "feature" that multiple objects within atmosphere can not be tracked, the plane part is actually flying happily on it's own since it's separated and in theory can return to ksp. I wish i could split the flight there at separation, land the plane part back and then resume with the rocket flight.

Rest of the gallery on imgur:

Ps kerbal developers - come on, make this kind of flight separation possible, only the game engine is keeping me from doing the separate orbit and return flight without a quicksave-resume  :)

2 hours ago, hurdurdur said:

Well here it goes, my totally original idea that the united states never tried, launch a space vehicle off from a plane like structure in the air! Actually makes a lot of sense since jets are supereffective but dragging them and wings to space is ridiculous, only the rocket parts need to go up there.

Neat idea!  Every Career game I play, I tend to make a Jet Assisted rocket, but I've never taken them off from the runway.  First time I thought about this was in 0.23, as you can see with the old parts.  Back then, intakes sucked (literally), so I needed to really spam them.  This lifter handled 30t.

MyeGOBf.png

Edited by Soda Popinski

13 hours ago, Soda Popinski said:

Neat idea!  Every Career game I play, I tend to make a Jet Assisted rocket, but I've never taken them off from the runway.  First time I thought about this was in 0.23, as you can see with the old parts.  Back then, intakes sucked (literally), so I needed to really spam them.  This lifter handled 30t.

MyeGOBf.png

Jets were still OP lifters in 0.90.  This 2-stage booster massed 12 tons but could lift 5 tons of payload to orbit (per booster), so you could mount a small payload on top, or strap on as many as needed.

huHDrLd.png

On 28/04/2017 at 7:18 AM, Ourworldalpha1 said:

I have some beautiful American Jet Fighter Replica's:D

Here are the F-35A-F22(B variant under construction

Link to Imgur Album Replica's:cool:

Other replica's coming soon 

:F-18 Hornet and Super Hornet

:F-16 Fighting Falcon

:F-4 Phantom:

:F-5 Tiger

Ehhhh it would be cooler if it was stock. Still amazing tho.

Did Someone say... Stock american fighter replicas?

F-4 Phantom

SU4oo63.jpg

F-5E Tiger II

UmfHkhj.jpg

The Tiger II was a pain to build especially, the fuselage just has so many strange lines and curves with no obvious parts to build with.

8 hours ago, MiffedStarfish said:

Did Someone say... Stock american fighter replicas?

F-4 Phantom

SU4oo63.jpg

F-5E Tiger II

UmfHkhj.jpg

The Tiger II was a pain to build especially, the fuselage just has so many strange lines and curves with no obvious parts to build with.

NOICE :cool:

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.