Official Kerbal Dakar 2017 results thread

Triop

My stage 2...

i6mlM8u.png

Spoiler

Start:

Eik9U3x.png

First crash, but was able to continue, lost some lights and a battery (I have 4):

498s4M1.png

qV68mG2.png

Second crash, I got a flat tire, but Bill fixed it:

6RpkEdC.png

vG6UOV8.png

I had one more crash losing another battery, but made it to the finish !

q4JsfvM.png

Total damage:

q7VyGNw.png

Should I send a team for repairs or just blast through the next stage ? ^_^

Edited by Triop

21 minutes ago, Triop said:

Should I send a team for repairs or just blast through the next stage ?

It gets faster as it gets lighter, so go for it, aside from fixing two flats i didn't fix anything either time, and i didn't need the lights for when the sun was fully up so no point putting them back on, no rule to cover modification by terrain :D    The downside is that as it gets lighter the airtime gets to be more of an issue

Just now, SpannerMonkey(smce) said:

It gets faster as it gets lighter, so go for it, aside from fixing two flats i didn't fix anything either time, and i didn't need the lights for when the sun was fully up so no point putting them back on, no rule to cover modification by terrain :D    The downside is that as it gets lighter the airtime gets to be more of an issue

So i went for it...:lol:

kbfBrke.png

Should I send a team for repairs or just blast through the next stage ? :sticktongue:

Oops, I'm cluttering my own thread....:blush:

Owwww well, let me finish the story.

So not only did I forgot a ladder, I also forgot the tools. We heard that our team mate Ribsen Kerman is about to start his run and he has tools on him.

The plan is to wait for him and take on off his wheels (cause I also forgot the spare) :blink:

It's getting dark...

7cU4lIe.png

Spoiler

Stage 1 start:

Uu5liKS.png

Finish:

npvdUxR.png

Stage 2 start:

DJuL5xC.png

Finish:

ExdmxJs.png

He just finished stage 2 and last we heard he's willing to drive further in the dark so we hope he's about to start stage 3 to get to us.

Well, to be fair, I rolled the Dead Bug probably eleventy-billion times on my run, so it finished missing lights, missing structural tubes, missing batteries, etc.  Just managed to not knock any wheels off this time, though I think at one point I had collapsed the rear suspension.  I may still have a picture of that.

9 minutes ago, Triop said:

We just heard that Ribsen had two flat tires, but he was able to fix them:

He's continuing the stage as we speak.

39 minutes ago, Triop said:

So not only did I forgot a ladder, I also forgot the tools. We heard that our team mate Ribsen Kerman is about to start his run and he has tools on him.

The plan is to wait for him and take on off his wheels (cause I also forgot the spare) :blink:

It's getting dark...

He just finished stage 2 and last we heard he's willing to drive further in the dark so we hope he's about to start stage 3 to get to us.

This has been: The Dakar Journal; With Triop

Just now, DarkOwl57 said:

This has been: The Dakar Journal; With Triop

Has been ? Don't think so ^_^, UPDATE:

So right before the finish the same thing happened to Ribsen: lost a wheel just before the finish on flat terrain (Kraken ?)

35M8dEK.png

5dL3Lfl.png

Anyway, one of these cars is gonna be a donor for the other, so no worries.

Both cars are still in the race since they both made it to the finish.

We will have to wait till daylight for repairs...

To be continued. &)

1 hour ago, Triop said:

lost a wheel just before the finish on flat terrain

If you recall back in the early days I ran a set of these wheels, and had similar issues, which is why I made my own in the end,   at certain speeds usually on the flat they just come apart over those terrain seams, I've a feeling that this is due in part to the update process or lack of it they went through in order to get them working for 1.2 and beyond, a great general purpose wheel without doubt but not a race candidate . On that note did I send you a copy of the wheels?

Stage 4 with the Mad Moose is complete ... Time was 13:24

Screenshots:

Spoiler

NH9bzN4.pngAsBgqEC.png

Video:

Spoiler

And for anyone who would like to take her for a spin: https://kerbalx.com/DoctorDavinci/DCM1-Mad-Moose---KerbalX

(Please note that you will not have a camo paint job in your KSP as I edited the stock textures)

My times are as follows:
STAGE 1 - 15:00
STAGE 2 - 12:09
STAGE 3 - 13:36
STAGE 4 - 13:24

3 more to go ... For the next stage I choose to take the high road :cool:

Here is my first entry (will post the truck later)

The Lankia 037 (terrible name but does reference a real car)

It has two Juno's for power and a few fuel cells

u6uBT6C.png

Spoiler

Stage 1

Start: 0:01:00

M6hdm5N.png

End 0:11:42

YAe3MHv.png

Stage 2

Start 0:30:20

zEljg6K.png

End: 0:45:58

kb97VWF.png

Stage 3

Start: 1:02:25

TVPfuiy.png

End: 1:17:30

ppv0WPk.png

Stage 4

Start: 1:35:10

6wOi0xa.png

End: 1:47:58

yABVTKT.png

Stage 5

Start: 2:05:05

Q8dKg93.png

End: 2:16:18

zrbxOEq.png

Stage 6 

Refuelled on this stage using the support truck

Start: 0:01:43

maIn7Iw.png

End: 0:13:06

yHli0xd.png

Stage 7/ Finish

Had a crash on this stage and lost my headlights and self righting mechanism but no serious damage

Start: 0:30:50

zE19WQo.png

End: 0:43:10

S1XCcSq.png

Total time: 1:29:09

Surprisingly it was quicker than my practice

First time to complete the course properly (kept doing the last stage to the wrong destination)

Only one accident but landed on all 4 wheels after rolling

Edited by mrmcp1

Team regex' entry: The Volko E-40 XCS

Stock/vanilla fully electric vehicle driven on high terrain detail.

Install has SVE (Texture Replacer, Planet Shine, EVE, Scatterer) for mods, nothing else.

91mjPa4.png

Spoiler

Stage 1

Start - 00:01:00

ePaVMha.png

aw6ydXy.png

Finish - 00:19:13 (18 minutes 13 seconds)

Stage 2

Start - 20:00:00

MqyPYwI.png

dPfwxZY.png

pu0mn1I.png

Finish - 00:36:29 (16 minutes 29 seconds) Knocked over the flag here...

Stage 3

Start - 00:39:00 Note the knocked over flag.

v3iOVJa.png

KRnnzjz.png wooooo!

jjk6sI8.png

Finish - 01:00:26 (21 minutes 26 seconds)

Stage 4

Start - 05:27:00 (Stayed here overnight)

YB8vTqC.png

sdlBmJu.png

meyRPm7.png

cRGIT3G.png

Finish - 05:44:23 (17 minutes 23 seconds)

Stage 5

Start - 05:52:00

GB6c3wM.png

BnmZgvh.png

a2Oxr1c.png

728tudr.png

Finish - 06:11:07 (19 minutes 7 seconds)

Stage 6

Start - 06:13:00

WQlhqq7.png

yCy52jb.png

6btESrN.png

uQc3aTq.png

ZE3Rein.png

Finish - 06:31:13 (18 minutes 13 seconds)

Stage 7

Start - 11:20:00 (Stayed here overnight)

nlho2K4.png

wtZVlvL.png

WGnsnyr.png

Finish - 11:34:54 (14 minutes 54 seconds)

Total Drive Time = 02:05:45 (2 hours 5 minutes 45 seconds)

Phew! There are some pretty shots in there but the trees seem to have problems with Scatterer et al not to mention the odd terrain seams. C'est la vie...

Edited by regex

Here is my truck entry 

I am calling it the Bulldozer (it weighs 26 tons!) 

It has 4 Juno's for drive and a large fuel cell (which came in very useful on the last stage)

It was designed as a fuel supply vehicle for my car but performed well enough for me to time

9OqcNUk.png

Spoiler

Stage 1

Start: 0:01:00 

p6fhhsb.png

End: 0:16:21

ZYqve0e.png

Stage 2

Start: 0:34:20

qmFGmBB.png

End: 0:49:04

xx4OmSJ.png

Stage 3

Start:  1:05:50

O0ocyCU.png

End: 1:22:02 

prPLC0W.png

Stage 4

Start: 1:36:10

a8SsMTw.png

End: 1:51:47

pGyhbRS.png

Stage 5 time warped until sunrise

Start: 5:19:04

q9KvMpd.png

End: 5:32:26

9sKfyoK.png

Stage 6 had a bad roll on this stage and lost all the juno engines and rear fuel tanks

Start: day 0  5:50:44

l0zQEUS.png

End: day 1  0:05:16  (messed my times up here)

LQ4EqcI.png

Stage 7/ Finish if I hadn't protected my fuel cell I would not have been able to finish 

Start: 0:21:25

3TxXMcF.png

End: 0:37:24

Z41r4UX.png

Total time: 1:46:47

Had one major accident on stage 6 (3km from the finish)  which destroyed all of the juno engines meaning I had to rely on electrical power for the last stage 

It was much faster than I expected 

(calculation once finished)

0:01:00  - Departed @ Stage 1 flag

00:21:37 - Arrived @ Stage 2 flag

01:04:08 - Arrived @ Stage 3 flag

-  Stage 3 - DNF -

EDIT: 16/ 1 RESUMING stage 4-Finish when I happen to get home from work early enough (3 hours from work to home) but! hopefully soon!.. 705s a fine machine.. one of the best in the history of the KTP :) 

Aiming for tomorrow! :) not sure if it breaks the rules but!. the Dakar course will be conquered by a train.. the first of many journeys of this class of train I hope. this unit herself will find a home In preservation once the race is finished

Stage 1

I ended up adding more fuel under the false ideal that I simply didn't have enough, the locomotive was drinking fuel like theres no tomorrow.. so I added MOAR tanks!!..

Then... discovered I simply didn't have the hardpoint crossfeed on.. 9000 fuel.. meh. I'm not complaining

I didn't take a normal screenshot of stage 1 start but I did take a full video, screenshot is from the video -

Video has a big pause in it departing the flag but otherwise is fine after it (loading music)

dbeXlZh.jpg

Waiting for the clock to tick over to 1.00 -

Spoiler

aGPEWFT.jpg

Underway - spooling up to full

ZeSk3Zq.jpg

Climbing Final hill before Stage flag - Electric motors fighting and RTGs working hard, throttle control and junos providing effective traction/recharge rate

u0njpvo.jpg

MGsygKu.jpg

STAGE 2 -

ubnRVgq.jpg

Plenty of hairy moments where I thought id lose the whole train.. moments of madness running full speed down sides of mountains in hopes of making it back up the other side..with the only damage being one blade of the cow catcher.. then the other side.. basically headbutting a mountain

The train slipping back and being tied in knots, and moments where the wheels bottomed out so bad.. the train was a seesaw on the crest of hills

had to turn off headlights and beacon as even 1 second of electricity matters when you need to squeeze everything out of the trains propulsion systems to stop slipping back or inch over the side of a mountain with gravity pulling the other way

it was far too intense to take screenshots a lot.. but the video captured all :) around 1 hour in total.. so here's the highlights - and PROOF I did it realtime with no cheating.. see. trains are awesome :D

Red Time index are linked as one generally complete event

4:12 Train Knots
24:00 - Struggle Climb 2
26:25 - FLANK SPEED! Mountain!! (Lost Cowcatcher 1)
31.45 - Trapped at Summit - out of power
37:00 - Trapped Resumed - LocoSeesaw
40:32 - Resolution!

42:10+ - Rough Going - 42:40 Extreme braking - 43:30 Kiss of the mountain! - (Lost Cowcatcher 2)
46:40+ - ALL or nothing!
49:39 - FULL POWER!
52:04 - Flag in sight - I know my train well - Homerun!

the most extreme terrain ive purposely driven on in a train.. she did very well.. if she survives back home she'll be given a proper running number and assigned to the regular roster of land trains.. beautiful machine :) 

Spoiler

QxhG9cd.jpg

This became a regular thing. and then some.. one side of the train on the other side .. the other struggling to wiggle free. but she did! :)

7qlQDG8.jpg

Full power up the other side!!

t5vfAlb.jpg

DkkQdR0.jpg

STAGE 3 - **DNF** 

Spoiler

XnHIp0j.jpg

Farewell my good friend  - 705 - Trijet landtrain DNF

sauo3qB.jpg

Edited by Overland

My Dakar Lorry is powered by the two large fuel cells in the cargo area. Its top speed on flat ground is about 15-20 m/s. I might be a contender for the Slowest Vehicle Award, if such a thing exists.

bIfRxt2.png

I'll edit later to add in the next stages. All stages have been added!

I'm also recording each leg to make a time lapse video afterwards. To make a video that's not too boring, I'll make a highlights compilation instead. I have captured a (far too) large number of rolls which might make it somewhat interesting.

Damage sustained: I lost two out of twelve Oscar B fuel tanks during the first leg. I also lost the lower half of the cargo area, one of the high beams, part of the bonnet and my brake lights during the third leg when it was starting to go dark. Finally, during the sixth leg, I lost five more Oscar B fuel tanks. I was limited to two wheel drive from that moment on, and turned off most of the remaining lights. I made it with only 16 litres of fuel to spare. :D

Total time to finish - 5 hours, 9 minutes and 22 seconds, officially the slowest time of Kerbal Dakar 2017!

Spoiler

Stage 1

Start time - 00:01:32
Finish time - 01:01:48
Total time - 01:00:16
8m3nprv.png
0LiMFqI.png

Stage 2

Start time - 01:02:05
Finish time - 02:11:15
Total time - 01:09:10
3o0fcSl.png
9ifh9uT.png

Stage 3

Start time - 02:11:32
Finish time - 02:52:21
Total time - 00:40:49
imkrBMV.png
5tddZP6.png

Stage 4

Start time - 02:52:33
Finish time - 03:23:28
Total time - 00:30:55
jQQ8C3o.png
9H1gzKH.png

Stage 5

Start time - 03:23:52
Finish time - 03:58:08
Total time - 00:34:16
wjpXKFZ.png
s39DVfx.png

Stage 6

Start time - 03:58:44
Finish time - 04:34:11
Total time - 00:35:27
nTWVC0d.png
d8LCyjr.png

Stage 7

Start time - 04:34:30
Finish time - 05:12:59
Total time - 00:38:29
T78HsRl.png
IokMvkK.png

Total

Time from start to finish - 05:09:22 :D

Edited by WesleyWestland
Added final stages and total time

15 minutes ago, SpannerMonkey(smce) said:

Good luck on stage 2/3 especially having so much weight up top, mind you if a train can make it you should be able to :)

I tried the next stage three times now, the first time I couldn't make it up the hill, even when slaloming to keep the gradient less steep. The second time I flipped when descending said hill, and the third time I tried going around the entire mountain range, but physics time warp killed me when I hit a speed bump. It might take me a while to finish this... :/

6 minutes ago, WesleyWestland said:

I tried the next stage three times now, the first time I couldn't make it up the hill, even when slaloming to keep the gradient less steep. The second time I flipped when descending said hill, and the third time I tried going around the entire mountain range, but physics time warp killed me when I hit a speed bump. It might take me a while to finish this... :/

Its a nice truck. You may be better of redesigning it a bit though, I would double up on the wheels like a few of the other vehicles have and maybe even add 2 or so juno engines with a boost flap. Also I think physics warp may not be such a good idea

2 minutes ago, mrmcp1 said:

Its a nice truck. You may be better of redesigning it a bit though, I would double up on the wheels like a few of the other vehicles have and maybe even add 2 or so juno engines with a boost flap. Also I think physics warp may not be such a good idea

I wondered how well a vehicle without jet engines would do. Answer: Not very well. I'm not going for the fastest time, simply finishing will be a nice challenge by itself.

Physics warp worked fine on the first leg, I drove nearly all of it on 4x speed. I never exceeded 25 m/s anyway. On the second leg, steep downgrades sped me up too much. Maybe I shouldn't use 'cruise control' (trim) either. :P

Stage 2:

Start: 23:00

P5U6W71.png

Finish: 43:09

qwdKYIe.png

Total Stage time: 00:20:09

I screwed up a couple times; 180'd twice, 360'd 3 times, flipped once and Nedler flew out (I'm sending a medical team to replace him)

Edited by DarkOwl57

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.