Post Your Model (SSTO And Rocket to Laythe) And I will create it

KidFury

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
3 minutes ago, Firemetal said:

Ok I want to see you build an SSTO spaceplane that goes to Laythe and back on its own, no refueling nor interplanetary tugs, with 100% re-entry heating.

Fire

*Getting cola and popcorn. &)

On ‎21‎/‎01‎/‎2017 at 3:40 AM, Firemetal said:

Ok I want to see you build an SSTO spaceplane that goes to Laythe and back on its own, no refueling nor interplanetary tugs, with 100% re-entry heating.

Fire

When you say "no refuelling", do you mean "no refuelling by another vehicle" but ISRU on the surface of Laythe to get your return fuel is allowed, or no refuelling period?

Having to rendezvous with ,  then dock to another vessel in orbit makes the mission more time consuming  and forces the player to put more "work" into the mission, so I can see why someone might be against that.   Similarly, having to stop at Duna or Minmus to go mining for fuel adds workload.

But if you can go direct from Kerbin to the Jool system, mining is zero effort.  You land, deploy the drill, and go to max time acceleration.   Done in a minute or two.   All you need is one small drill, one small converter, and three RTGs.   If you want it to go a bit faster in terms of game time,  then bring a deployable radiator so the drill doesn't work at 7% speed due to being too hot.   Bring an engineer Kerbal on the trip.  

Going direct there and back with no refuelling or ISRU is just difficulty for difficulty's sake,  and might make the ship harder to use in other ways.

The delta V needed for this mission is strongly dependant on how good you are at gravity assists.   I'm rubbish - I needed 3500 with tylo encounters and aerobraking.  If you're amazing at such things you can do it with not much more than 1000 by getting an eve-kerbin slingshot out to jool.    However, that's a whole lotta workload - requires  as much time plotting manuvers as an intermediate refuelling stop would, and far more skill.

>>The thread title makes it sound lke the OP wants to test drive our creations.   Actually, I have something he could test drive for me.     If you click on the link to my Kebalx profile in my signature, I have a craft called SSTL gavmod.  It's a ship someone else needed help with,  I fixed up the handling and verified it gets to low kerbin orbit with over 4000dv remaining.  It has mining gear onboard.  But I've not personally flown it further.

There's a couple of issues I'd like to fix - got some stuff like reaction wheels and batteries on the outside that can only take 2000k,  they'd be better in  a cargo bay since a Jool mission can result in some very hot aerobraking passes.

16 minutes ago, AeroGav said:

When you say "no refuelling", do you mean "no refuelling by another vehicle" but ISRU on the surface of Laythe to get your return fuel is allowed, or no refuelling period?

Having to rendezvous with ,  then dock to another vessel in orbit makes the mission more time consuming  and forces the player to put more "work" into the mission, so I can see why someone might be against that.   Similarly, having to stop at Duna or Minmus to go mining for fuel adds workload.

But if you can go direct from Kerbin to the Jool system, mining is zero effort.  You land, deploy the drill, and go to max time acceleration.   Done in a minute or two.   All you need is one small drill, one small converter, and three RTGs.   If you want it to go a bit faster in terms of game time,  then bring a deployable radiator so the drill doesn't work at 7% speed due to being too hot.   Bring an engineer Kerbal on the trip.  

Going direct there and back with no refuelling or ISRU is just difficulty for difficulty's sake,  and might make the ship harder to use in other ways.

The delta V needed for this mission is strongly dependant on how good you are at gravity assists.   I'm rubbish - I needed 3500 with tylo encounters and aerobraking.  If you're amazing at such things you can do it with not much more than 1000 by getting an eve-kerbin slingshot out to jool.    However, that's a whole lotta workload - requires  as much time plotting manuvers as an intermediate refuelling stop would, and far more skill.

>>The thread title makes it sound lke the OP wants to test drive our creations.   Actually, I have something he could test drive for me.     If you click on the link to my Kebalx profile in my signature, I have a craft called SSTL gavmod.  It's a ship someone else needed help with,  I fixed up the handling and verified it gets to low kerbin orbit with over 4000dv remaining.  It has mining gear onboard.  But I've not personally flown it further.

There's a couple of issues I'd like to fix - got some stuff like reaction wheels and batteries on the outside that can only take 2000k,  they'd be better in  a cargo bay since a Jool mission can result in some very hot aerobraking passes.

I meant no ISRU. It can be done but it is flipping frustrating. Although nice Jool V ISRU spaceplane! Looks great!

Fire

If I was going to stipulate an additional requirement beyond just getting there, it would be "no gravity assists" rather than "no isru",  because a novice player who just downloads the craft off kerbalx probably can't do those. I 've been playing for over a year and I'm still rubbish.

1 minute ago, AeroGav said:

If I was going to stipulate an additional requirement beyond just getting there, it would be "no gravity assists" rather than "no isru",  because a novice player who just downloads the craft off kerbalx probably can't do those. I 've been playing for over a year and I'm still rubbish.

Hey same here. Gravity assists are quite hard to do although they are very rewarding. When I challenged him to do a Laythe SSTO with those requirements, it was a joke because only the best of the best can do that. I was not expecting him to be able to do that. I can't do that. Re-entering always gets me. But it seems as if he has just ditched the thread anyway so it doesn't matter.

Fire

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.