Big Stutter Returning to Main Menu

Hello,

I am wondering if this is just me, or what.   Whenever I return to the Main Menu from playing, I receive this weird stutter... its long enough to potentially qualify as a freeze, but its more of a "long stutter".  This only happens on the first of the Main Menu's you return to.   Is this the "junk collecting" I have read about?  

I have a good machine, and the game is a flawless 60fps with all things maxed out, and runs smooth as butter in every other instance.  When I back out of the Space Center to the first of the Main Menus, the actual menu pauses before it reaches the spot on the screen where the words are selectable, just for a moment, and then everything slides back to butterville.

Shall I presume this is part of the efforts to optimize this cleanup process or somesuch?  Do you all experience this too?

Thanks.

13 hours ago, klesh said:

I am wondering if this is just me, or what.

It's not just you.

Is this the "junk collecting" I have read about?

At a guess (having not profiled it), I'd say it's a longer-than-usual garbage collection run due to all the stuff that just stopped running (and all the objects that are now out of scope).

Shall I presume this is part of the efforts to optimize this cleanup process or somesuch?

AFAIK, there's been no effort to "optimise" the garbage collector, it's part of the fossilised version of mono Unity uses. There's been an effort to reduce garbage creation, but in this case it's probably both unavoidable and unimportant, as performance doesn't matter much when you are leaving the game.

Thanks fellas, that's pretty much what I was was thinking.  Indeed, its nothing major, just a slight annoyance (moreso compounded by the fact there isn't a quit to desktop function).  I hate having to go through 2 menus to quit, and the fact the first of those menus teases you like that always made me wonder.  Thanks for the replies!

1 minute ago, steve_v said:

I use xkill, on Windows, I hear ALT-F4 does much the same. :wink:

Oooh, that's bold, friend. I always wondered if that would skip a final saving that might need to occur.  I'll try doing that from now on.  Happy New Year!

2 minutes ago, klesh said:

I always wondered if that would skip a final saving that might need to occur.

Never caused me any problems, and KSP makes backup saves in any case. The convent CTRL-ALT-ESC-<click on offending window> has taught me bad habits :P
There's only one game that does quit-nagging properly IMO, and that's DooM. Everything else is just wasting time, and those sliding menus annoy me on startup too.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.