The Kerbal Cross-Continental Rally

The Kerbin Cross-Continental Rally (KCCR)

This is part of the Official Kerbal Racing Season rover race event, organized by myself and @Oliverm001x

The KCCR is an off-road cross-continental rally consisting of 8 stages. The race starts off at the Stage 1 flag (next to the KSC runway), and heads north along the continent towards the finish flag. The 8 stages offer every type of terrain, from smooth ground to rocky mountains and sheer cliffs for the racer to navigate on and around.

Each stage is roughly 60km, not too short and not too long.

THE DURATION OF THIS CHALLENGE IS FROM 1ST JANUARY TO 28TH FEBRUARY. AFTER THAT A NEW RALLY/RACE WILL BE HELD.

Save file for the rally: https://www.dropbox.com/sh/51esn08h184rtrh/AADEj35YVyqXYjqQT7YdDRf5a?dl=0

Screenshots (behold my amazing MS Paint skills! :P) :

screenshot470.png

Full track

yCWO3zoGQXqpmiCswF--6deEi6NW8FESHRBiqza2dvyauNW_1BAP57F7NBUULjL090-8T9gxmtDPHZ-w78zQOGRzZlN1WgQpCJCysGZXqRYOksyWWeSMCGWsgJ1stdKNpZrUY64h

Stages 1-3 (Stage 1 starts at the KSC runway)

cjLLTSYKIlIVNt0UP3DydNRN8f0arkWFTCdO2UfMsWolJCv6q_2L_9bDRnIZk5mhXqwUMcvHS3HNlRZeGY5CTRPbhOYeXYZolu64gjBFQYCga1oglC4svKaqUZ1MSvtH9criB3bo

Stages 3-4

oaZ3xmQTaQO0CODqx24E5Q9HOL20r57la-ugYylnSqNRd8kNOhYSZ6EINZkQaDo8Q6nvhFrBoe0GLXlHIvlvl8eHVNjTSmc6G-mw51uy6i3p0tR3QRYNoCM2DjV5_LASF4DpB0kq

Stages 4-5

2lUBc1mhqNRcfRX-uX_JcQ5AL6P-EkhP1DflpLKFTop331rsD9eN4AOEQ8FArHQ8GfoAWR8NJwaEr9952wuPxh6S_FIsh7OnLOMMP2iIAPxvUj_ldO-BAY2FgrOllYWdbIcGCPBv

Stages 5-6

eMsYFUFrnyFotpfJIoCEAS5ZMxxILGSWWxiu59wAEoDPXiTNdGZ0_IOZGmaC__EDcMcvj8GEnRR_tZHKNWgbwP_8UrsFBq1_LCmn7OIGLesETbo6sgYkiTBW_JFfSmuV7CKFHr0I

Stages 6-8

Rules:

1. Main categories are Modded and Stock, subcategories are Electric only (E), Fuel/Electric (F/E), Fuel only (F) and Hovercraft (H).

2. Only one vehicle is allowed for the entire rally, the vehicle cannot be replaced. However, fixing the vehicle (things like repairing wheels) is allowed. Using KIS/KAS to replace parts of the vehicle is allowed, but will put you in the modded section.

3. Chutes are allowed.

4. Flying is not allowed.

1. Jumping, however, is allowed. A jump is classified as a jump if the craft is in the air but is not being propelled by anything. It should follow a (rough) arc and hit the ground again. If the throttle is active while the craft is in the air (resulting in the engines, if any, producing thrust), this is considered flying.

1. Boost flaps are allowed. These block the thrust of engines instantly, avoiding the dreaded spool-up and spool-down times of jet engines. Junos are the only jet engines this method can be used on effectively.

2. If boost flaps are not being used, then cutting throttle (using the X key) when the craft is in the air is sufficient. Even though the jet engines will still be producing thrust due to their long spool-down time, this can be disregarded as there is really no way to get around this.

5. The method for submitting an entry is as follows:

1. A screenshot of the vehicle inside the SPH/VAB.

2. A screenshot of the vehicle no more than 10 meters from the stage start flag, with a speed of 0.0 m/s.

3. A screenshot of the vehicle no more than 10 meters from the stage finish flag, with a speed of 0.0 m/s.

4. Screenshots while driving the stage are welcome.

5. Videos are highly encouraged, but the screenshots listed above are the bare minimum.

6. A suggested way of keeping track of your time for each stage:

1. When you start the stage, make a note of the mission clock (at the top-left of the screen), for example 01 mins 00 secs.

2. When you finish the stage, make a note of the mission clock again, for example 15 mins 57 secs.

3. And then do the maths: the start time subtracted from the finish time. In this example, the stage was started at 01 mins 00 secs, and finished at 15 mins 57 secs. 15:57 - 01:00 = 14 mins 57 secs, and that’s your time.

7. You will be placed on the leaderboards according to your total time from each stage. Obviously, a lower time is better.

Leaderboards:

Stock

Electric Only (E)

Spoiler

Fuel/Electric (F/E)

Spoiler

1. @Ultimate Steve - 2:34:53

Fuel Only (F)

Spoiler

Hovercraft (H)

Spoiler

Modded

Electric Only (E)

Spoiler

Fuel/Electric (F/E)

Spoiler

Fuel Only (F)

Spoiler

Hovercraft (H)

Spoiler

This is part of the Official KSP Racing Season, so any participants will get points, contributing to their season finish position (kind of how the F1 driver championship works). It's a WIP, check out that thread for more info.

Good luck! :) 

Please tell me if I missed anything, I'm sure I did. :blush: 

Edited by TheEpicSquared

A few questions:

1. What is a hovercraft?

2. Must you take a direct route to each marker or can you route around some mountains? 

3. Are parachutes allowed? It's not flying but would aid in soft landings when going over cliffs.

4. Can we submit separate stages at a time? As in say I finish stage one and two today, but don't have time for any more could I just submit those, then finish later? 

Welp, rip Attempt #1 :P Died on the descent of the snowy mountains. :/

Here's pic #1 ijSzefQ.png

Pic #2 (Damaged front of car in first stage :P) rPR4gxV.png

Pic #3 (When you have a slow computer like me, you don't get fancy things like seeing where you're going.) mxC0uVe.png

Pic #4 (...) 96yFDw7.png

I also was running low on fuel around when I crashed. I would have made it to the next stage but I didn't know how to refuel, so I was screwed either way xD.

Gonna try again Tomorrow.

Edited by PixelStory2

@Baybrawler

1. Someone wanted to use the anti-gravity pads from the Kerbal Foundries mod to make a craft. I wasn't sure which category to put it in, so I just called it hovercraft.

2. The route you take is up to you, but make sure to keep track of your time.

3. Chutes are allowed. I'll add it to the rules.

4. You can submit stages separately, they don't all have to be submitted at the same time. But all stages need to be in by February 28th at the latest, as that's how long this challenge goes on for.

Hope that helps. :) 

I'll be up for this, I'll be using anything i develop from the Dakar Kerbin edition, of which I'm just doing a second run, the first being a little lackluster .   So I'll take at least two slots in the modded category, the mods used will be chassis and wheels and deco items,  so far there's an EC version with fuel cells, and an EC with jet assist version both very different in mass and setup.

Spoiler

WT66GzH.png

1 minute ago, SpannerMonkey(smce) said:

I'll be up for this, I'll be using anything i develop from the Dakar Kerbin edition, of which I'm just doing a second run, the first being a little lackluster .   So I'll take at least two slots in the modded category, the mods used will be chassis and wheels and deco items,  so far there's an EC version with fuel cells, and an EC with jet assist version both very different in mass and setup.

Hide contents

WT66GzH.png

That is one damn sweet-looking rover! :cool: 

I'll be eagerly awaiting your entry!

5 minutes ago, TheEpicSquared said:

That is one damn sweet-looking rover! :cool: 

Cheers but..

Sadly Dakar experience has shown that being pretty is not an asset,  being tough as old boots and functional is all that matters at the end of the day , under certain conditions it's a fantastic truck but under others, like short sharp rippled terrain it get very unfriendly indeed, something I'll be remedying before I make my attempt with that one, but should the other finish the Dakar in one piece it's ready to go now :)

Spoiler

aBgd41b.png

9 hours ago, SpannerMonkey(smce) said:

Sadly Dakar experience has shown that being pretty is not an asset,  being tough as old boots and functional is all that matters at the end of the day

Sadly I have to agree with you, funny thing is in the real Dakar it's the same thing: Some people enter for the experience and some people enter for the win...

I wish we could have a good old stock build rally, all equal, but who would enter that.... mods, mods, mods.... <_<

KSP challenges, It's like trying to organize a sports event without doping ^_^

5 minutes ago, Triop said:

but who would enter that..

Hey, It's not for me ( i started playing KSP only because it was  amazingly moddable and a game I'd previously modded was dying)  but the challenge section has plenty of stock only challenges, so I'd imagine there's be a lot of takers, 

In KSP i don't believe there is ever an equal given the same stack of parts everybody arrives at the end with something very different and depending on skill level you have 256 parts engineering masterpieces or ten part Flintstones trucks  and that imo is a very uneven playing field and no more uneven than allowing mods to enter a challenge in an appropriate class.

There really hasn't been anything like the Dakar series and the OKRS in which mods could be fully tested, you can tool around KSC all week and not find out the stuff i found in two days of Dakar stage testing, for making durable well performing wheels it seems the only way to go, I'd like to think that if a squad type dared venture a stock entry then they'd be sorting some decent wheels and fixing the existing sets on return to dev land

6 minutes ago, SpannerMonkey(smce) said:

There really hasn't been anything like the Dakar series and the OKRS in which mods could be fully tested, you can tool around KSC all week and not find out the stuff i found in two days of Dakar stage testing, for making durable well performing wheels it seems the only way to go, I'd like to think that if a squad type dared venture a stock entry then they'd be sorting some decent wheels and fixing the existing sets on return to dev land

I could not agree more.

I don't hate mods/tweaking, it's just making it hard to organize a straight up challenge. :wink:

Ok, I'm in.

Allmost stage 1:

30Cbkal.png

The track looks like a great challenge, but I still don't like the timing you guys put this challenge up.

I will explain you why and it may sound stupid:

I love the Dakar, the real experience.

It starts at the first day of every new year, tradition.

You starting a same sort of rally right now is like https://en.wiktionary.org/wiki/sacrilegious to me.

But I do understand that it inspired people to put up new rallys and I have to admit I encourage that since all I want to do is burn track. &)

No hard feelings dudes, I just ventilated and am ready to race.

There is room for all of us, Peace ^_^

*drops mic

giphy.gif

Edited by Triop

14 hours ago, Triop said:

I wish we could have a good old stock build rally, all equal, but who would enter that.... mods, mods, mods.... <_<

I would totally be up for that. When it comes to space I much prefer mods, but for challenges I am a believer in a fully-stock experience; puts everyone on the same, controlled footing.

5 hours ago, DoctorDavinci said:

I agree with @Triop ... your timing for posting this challenge is abysmal

I for one say boycott 

I wouldn't go that far, but I definitely agree that the timing shows a lack of patience.

Anyway, I'll join up after I finish up my competition Dakar run. Planning to use my solar-electric Dakar vehicle for this one as well.

Edited by regex

11 minutes ago, Triop said:

I just scouted the route with a plane, man, this thing is loooong. :o

It would take me to much time and I probable won't even make it.

I'm out, sorry guys. :mellow:

I suppose your signature is correct :). But thanks anyway and best of luck!

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.