The Official Kerbal Dakar 2017

Triop

33 minutes ago, Magzimum said:

@Triop, can you please clarify some of the rules? (And if an update is needed on the opening post of the thread, please do that ASAP)?

Some people are speaking in your name, others are making suggestions about the rules, and someone even disqualified my entry on your behalf. But usually on the forum only one person is in charge of a challenge...

To give a short overview of what I picked up in the thread:

• You can use a mod with parts with a crash tolerance up to 250 m/s (that's nearly Mach 1).
  • You cannot use the cheat that makes stuff indestructible (which in my opinion is the same as a crash tolerance of 250 m/s).
  • You cannot reload, because that would break the spirit of the Dakar. (But using mods that have nearly indestructible stuff does not).
  • None of this is mentioned in the opening post of the challenge.

To be disqualified by someone who isn't even the organizer has confused me... especially since it was on a rule that I (still) cannot find in the opening post of any of the Dakar threads, which is where normally the rules are listed.

Wauw, as I hear from you some people are taking it very seriously...

I can not check if people use indestructible parts or quicksave/load, I let it up to you how you want to experience the 7 stages.

It's about designing and driving, testing yourself.

To be honest after a stock run of the complete course I've started to use modded parts and cfg editing myself, I have (car) body parts with a higher crashtolerance and faster wheels, but still I don't make it further than stage 3...:confused:

Many discussions on the rules, mostly by people who haven't even driven a single stage...

Don't let people judge you on how you do it, that's my job. &)

Just have fun Magzimum, good luck.

4 hours ago, Norcalplanner said:

I watched the whole thing.  It was actually fairly coherent - he's going through some RL stuff, and the game isn't very fun for him with all the post 0.90 changes.  Listen starting at 7:10, including the epiphany starting at 7:45 and some fairly insightful introspection starting at 8:30, culminating in a decision at 11:00.

Listen 6:10 - 7:00...fairly coherent.

But what ever, he is gone and my "little insulting" challenge is still going. ^_^

46 minutes ago, SpannerMonkey(smce) said:

What parts and mod are you talking about?

This:

On 8-1-2017 at 8:01 PM, Flamingo said:

[...] The Kerbinator has four big a** wheels with a crash speed of 250/ms [...]

36 minutes ago, Triop said:

Wauw, as I hear from you some people are taking it very seriously...

Yeah, I guess it became more serious when I felt a little wronged. But to clarify, I took the game as serious as ever, but I took the thread/forum more serious as a result. Normally I think KSP is hilarious, and I don't take it too serious (except the physics, which is very serious). Example.

You soon spend a good 4-8 hrs on designing, testing and driving a vehicle. Possibly more. And I did that specifically for this course and for this challenge... with the aim of setting a quick time (in my own category of solar/electric/stock where I am not even sure anyone else is going to compete). Of course that means I want it listed somewhere in the results. I don't even care if the categories are all merged together... But I have to say that I got a little bitter when it was suggested that it shouldn't be listed at all as a result of reloading a few times.

It's a little like being offered a small gift, and then have it taken away again. That may make you disappointed, even when the net result is the same as when nothing happened at all.

Edited by Magzimum

Just now, Magzimum said:

This:

I could see your point if he'd claimed it was stock and later you found out he was using super tough wheels,  he's been very up front about it and he was as Triop advises playing the game his way.  He'll be in the modded class anyway, so can pretty much do what he likes.  Triop was kind enough to include mod users in his challenge which is a rare thing, and I think everyone's been fairly upfront about what they have, and what they're using .  I even posted the wheel cfg's for my mod wheels for everyone to see and copy if they wanted. 

I think we've already established that the honor system of results etc is flawed and open to exploitation , even the most stock looking craft can actually be something very different with a liberal application of MM patches. And that either is a big deal for you or it isn't,  for plenty of players who've already completed one if not more attempts and complete runs  it was evidently not an issue for them

18 minutes ago, Magzimum said:

It's a little like being offered a small gift, and then have it taken away again.

That is sad...^_^

Not a single entry in this competition is the same, categorizing is going to be hell for me at the end of the month...:confused:

Just to clarify this one more time, I did not cheat, no quicksaving/loading, no unbreakable joints and no no crash damage. The only thing that i used that was not stock, was the four wheels. 
The reason i was so upfront about the rules was because i did not want @Magzimum and LeafBaron to be sitting at the end of this month being devastated (yes this is very serious) because their runs had been disqualified for the simple reason that they, in good faith, had quicksaved/loaded. I myself had asked Triop the same question before the challenge began, so since i had his own answer on text, i shared it with you so you could see it, and he could do other things.

And about the wheels, yes they are very durable, but u still had big problems with flipping, spinning and ruining the girder that the wheels were attached to. If i am not allowed to use those wheels, then people who put wheels all around their cars should also be banned, since that makes them even more indestructible. And by this I am not saying that anyone should be banned, I am just putting things in a perspective.

Edit: 

What mod are you talking about?

@SpannerMonkey(smce) i think its called rollkage, brings four new wheels to the game. Very nice mod, discovered it in this challenge, but im most certainly going to keep on using it.

Edited by Flamingo

7 minutes ago, Flamingo said:

i think its called rollkage, brings four new wheels to the game.

I'm familiar with the mod and the wheels an did at one point test and  consider using them myself. The position of the wheel colliders in the model  is not to my preference and causes problems , so I opted for something else.

19 minutes ago, DarkOwl57 said:

7: 30 IT'S PRONOUNCED TREEOP YOU PILLOCK

Also, don't hate me, but I LOVE that car in the thumbnail

You mean my youtube tumbnail ?

It,s a VW Beetle rat rod papercraft I re-designed years ago:

http://i127.photobucket.com/albums/p143/Triop/CIMG9077.jpg

http://www.papermodelers.com/forum/design-threads/9760-beetle-hot-rod.html

I need to get back to that hobby... ^_^

Edited by Triop

14 minutes ago, Triop said:

You mean my youtube tumbnail ?

It,s a VW Beetle rat rod papercraft I re-designed years ago:

http://i127.photobucket.com/albums/p143/Triop/CIMG9077.jpg

http://www.papermodelers.com/forum/design-threads/9760-beetle-hot-rod.html

I need to get back to that hobby... ^_^

nnniiiiicccceeeee

And I meant the thumbnail for that video

been trying to figure out a way to create a stock suspension system using landing legs. progress is slow and there is nothing to show. Maybe someone better than I can come up with something. 

The idea was to make a stock bearing but have one end attached to the landing leg. to maintain control over the wheels i thought plugging each axle into a winch from KIS KAS would work

Edited by Leafbaron

8 minutes ago, foamyesque said:

@Triop: Could I have a definitive statement on whether stage-level save/loads are acceptable?

Because if they aren't I'll need to rethink things.

After a stage you can save, not during a stage.

I've updated the thread:

- Use mods or make it stock, it's up to you.

- You can use electric, jet engines, both if you like but no flying (that also means don't use jet engines while jumping).

- Minimal 1 Kerbal, so no drones.

- No saving during stages.

- When a stage is finished you can save and start the next stage when ever you like.

- If you crash during a stage, and you can't repair you have to restart the complete rally.

Hope this make things more clear, sorry about the messy rules....^_^

giphy.gif

17 minutes ago, Triop said:

- If you crash during a stage, and you can't repair you have to restart the complete rally.

Damn. Guess I'll need to redesign to be a bit safer and slower; I'm confident in being able to complete each stage but not each one first time, and I'd really rather not spend hours redoing sections I've already gone past.

4 hours ago, Leafbaron said:

been trying to figure out a way to create a stock suspension system using landing legs. progress is slow and there is nothing to show. Maybe someone better than I can come up with something. 

The idea was to make a stock bearing but have one end attached to the landing leg. to maintain control over the wheels i thought plugging each axle into a winch from KIS KAS would work

If you attach the chassis to the suspension in such a way that they're the same vessel, you were screwed before you begun. Stock colliders don't interact with parts on the same vessel.

If, on the other hand, you happen to attach them in a way that splits the vessel, you can't control the wheels from the chassis except by trim.

The Magnus advises that you investigate the KSPWheel colliders:

JmW5VCp.jpg

It drives, but it's still pretty dodgy.

Quick question, I downloaded the persistent file and put it in the right area but when I loaded the game none of the flags showed up. Did I do something wrong? There was a second file I downloaded with the first called persistent load meta where does that go? I'm a bit stumped.

20 hours ago, Jeb federation said:

I really like the car. @mrmcp1It looks like one of those rally cars in Europe. :)

Thanks, it turned out better than I expected. I think it sort of resembles the Lancia 037 rally car (slightly)

512px-037Rallye.jpg

7 hours ago, Jeb federation said:

Quick question, I downloaded the persistent file and put it in the right area but when I loaded the game none of the flags showed up. Did I do something wrong? There was a second file I downloaded with the first called persistent load meta where does that go? I'm a bit stumped.

What KSP version are you using?

It worked by copying into my saves folder for me

22 minutes ago, 0111narwhalz said:

Remember to load it. Open the load save dialogue by pressing MOD-F9. Select the new save file and load it.

If you just copy it from the folder it is contained in (i.e. the official kerbal dakar 2017 part)  it works as well

9 minutes ago, Jeb federation said:

OK. My version is 1.2.1

There is a way of opening the save in 1.2.1 (I think you open the persistence file in an text editor and change all instances of 1.2.2 to 1.2.1)

Not really sure how to do it but you can patch KSP to the newest version  

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.