Titan IIIE Voyager - Interplanetary Stroll

liquidhype

Allright people, I need your help. I wanted to do an as close to reality Voyager mission as possible in KSP, so I spent most of my christmas break modeling and texturing a Titan IIIE launch vehicle and the Voyager probes. The end-goal is to make a video of the mission and put in on the Youtubes.

I've finished the launch vehicle (image furher down), but I've run into a bit of a problem with the Star-37E/Voyager part of my build. From the reference images I see that either the Star-37E or the structure holding the Star-37E/Voyager stack has a hydrazine attitude control system, but what I can't seem to figure out is what type of thruster it is, its thrust, and most importantly, which directions of thrust the ACS system has. Is it only "forward" and "back", is it roll? I can't tell.

As there are plenty of smart people on the forum, I figured I'd ask for help here. I'll post links to some of my reference images so you can get an idea of what I'm talking about.

Reference image 1

Reference image 2

Reference image 3

Reference image 4

Anyways, here is an image of what I've got so far. There is a Centaur-D-1T inside the fairing, but I've yet to render an image of it.

8Q7t6jl.png

From the Voyager Backgrounder.pdf the specifications for these thrusters are:

• Propellant: Hydrazine (supplied by the Voyager itself)
  • Thrust (VAC): 100 lbf (~445 N) for pitch/yaw control, 5 lbf (~22.25 N) for roll control

So assume that it is a complete ACS for three-axis control. Forward is also the only available motion in the X axis (backwards firing mono-propellant thrusters are a huge no-no IRL).

And that Titan IIIE detail is something that i cannot comprehend...i wish you would continue your launchers pack...

4 minutes ago, Phineas Freak said:

From the Voyager Backgrounder.pdf the specifications for these thrusters are:

• Propellant: Hydrazine (supplied by the Voyager itself)
  • Thrust (VAC): 100 lbf (~445 N) for pitch/yaw control, 5 lbf (~22.25 N) for roll control

So assume that it is a complete ACS for three-axis control. Forward is also the only available motion in the X axis (backwards firing mono-propellant thrusters are a huge no-no IRL).

And that Titan IIIE detail is something that i cannot comprehend...i wish you would continue your launchers pack...

Fantastic, great find! I've been scratching my head for the last couple of days on these thrusters. I kinda figured backwards firing thrusters wouldn't be the case, but I could not for the life of me figure out which direction of control the thruster(s) had. To me it looked like there were only 4 thrusters, all firing "downwards".

Thank you for taking the time to help out.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.