[1.3.X] [Kopernicus] Cerillion

The White Guardian

@The White Guardian

Coming from playing on the PS4 I've found it nearly impossible to control planes with the WASD keys, but given what you are doing here it might be worth trying to get a controller or joystick set up to work well so I can fly Jeb home in style. It wouldn't be too hard to mount a relatively small SSTO to a rocket and deliver it to the planet, probably easier than the monstrosity I already sent there :P

9 minutes ago, The White Guardian said:

I've been working on something for Cerillion for an hour now...

5je0Ewr.png

@Disparia Books I've done some testing with the new atmosphere and the large heatshields, the large inflatable heatshield is able to produce enough drag to slow down light crafts significantly. Perhaps that might help.

New rocks or an Easter egg tease?

Guys, I'm giving up on KSPedia. Not because I don't know how to add it, but because Unity is being a *BLEEP*.

God, if I could strangle a computer... I follow the steps, everything goes perfectly, but when I try to build the project Unity crashes, destroys my prefabs, and spits out nothing.

Flip. This. Stupid. Program. :mad:

Edited by The White Guardian

4 minutes ago, The White Guardian said:

I have some good news though.

A third moon is nearing completion, and with it... I have done something that NO planet pack has done before.

Which button do i press for the 'intrigued Kerbal Face' emoji? Just don't punch your computer, I want more cerillion stuff and probably won't get it if you pummel the thing.

12 minutes ago, Disparia Books said:

Which button do i press for the 'intrigued Kerbal Face' emoji? Just don't punch your computer, I want more cerillion stuff and probably won't get it if you pummel the thing.

Heh, I paid quite the price for this thing. I'm not literally gonna wreck it, but I do hate Unity. Overcomplicated buggy piece o' junk...

2 hours ago, The White Guardian said:

A third moon is nearing completion, and with it... I have done something that NO planet pack has done before.

(raises eyebrows)

7 hours ago, The White Guardian said:

I've been working on something for Cerillion for an hour now...

5je0Ewr.png

@Disparia Books I've done some testing with the new atmosphere and the large heatshields, the large inflatable heatshield is able to produce enough drag to slow down light crafts significantly. Perhaps that might help.

Would that happen to be a terrain scatter?

(raises eyebrows further)

If I had any 3D modelling programs, I'd definitely try and make models that I could add to the surface of a planet.

I've been eying 3DSMax for a while since apparently it can import into the buggy unity...  But I'm not sure.

Either way, I'm excited to see what this secrecy is about!

7 hours ago, The White Guardian said:

Which one is it? *Interest intensifies*

6 hours ago, The White Guardian said:

For the first time in a planet pack, custom terrain scatter models have been implemented!

e5U22Ca.png

That's it, I'm going all out on this-single launch planetary base with high performance rover to explore. Awesome? Yes. AppropriatelyKerbal-style over confident? Yes. I'm already planning the mission.

A warning to EVERYONE currently having crafts on or near Cerillion:

- The next update will include moons. This may mess up orbits. Anything below the rings of Cerillion is safe.

- The next update will scale the atmosphere to 118000m so be wary. Re-entry is very easy though and often does not even require a heatshield. It's a nice and gradual climb in atmospheric pressure.

- This is VERY important - make sure that NOTHING - no craft or Kerbal - is touching a terrain scatter when updating. In the next update these will get colliders.

@Disparia Books Awesome! In that case I think you'd like to know that this little moonlet, named 'Jacob' will have an eccentric orbit requiring extra Delta-V but also working as a refueling post due to it's low gravity. Mavis is also well-suited for this purpose.

If I were you I'd wait a bit longer though as there is one more moon on the planner, and I really think you'll like it.

1 hour ago, The White Guardian said:

Awesome! In that case I think you'd like to know that this little moonlet, named 'Jacob' will have an eccentric orbit requiring extra Delta-V but also working as a refueling post due to it's low gravity. Mavis is also well-suited for this purpose.

That's all I needed to know, now I can build an SSTO to go to myself. Also for story purposes would it be fair to say that the purple rocks are composed of similar materials that color Eve? The moon looks awesome btw. I can't wait :D.

@The White Guardian

I pulled everything from the planet and got jeb off. He's in orbit in the rescue ship without enough  deltav to get home. I destroyed all debris in orbit too. Should I bring him back before I update or will the new moons not mess it up? He's in a 100km orbit with 0 inclination. I can't wait for this! 

Also, I just installed the planetary base mod...I'm king to configure and build a base while you finish up, because to building and getting it to orbit around Kerbin will take long enough! :wink:

The main planet will be home base with missions to drive it's surface and launch to the moons. I will have a mining facility on the base. Thanks for all your hard work!

Edited by Disparia Books

A note to everyone BEFORE YOU UPDATE:

From the next version of Cerillion and onward they will be anchored to a specific 'flightGlobalsIndex'. What this does: Kopernicus automatically assigns each planet an 'index' number based off their position, for example if the Sun is 0 then Moho is 1, Eve = 2, Gilly = 3, Kerbin = 4, etc.

Previously Cerillion had no index specified so that Kopernicus could automatically assign it a number upon loading the mod. This was done for optimal compatibility, because when two planets have the same index number both will not load. Therefore Cerillion could adapt no matter which mods were installed.

However, if another mod had no Index number, there is a chance that they would be indexed before Cerilllion. An example would be KerbolOrigins (tagging @amarius1) which adds several objects to the inner Kerbal solar system that have no FGI (if I remember correctly that is). This would mean that the index numbers would shift.

So, what does this mean to gameplay? Every craft in KSP does not have an orbit specified by the name of the object that it is orbiting. Instead orbits in KSP work using these index numbers. The save file of a craft orbiting Kerbin would read '4' as a reference body if we'd assume my previous example (Sun = 0, Moho = 1, etc) to be true. Since it is a number that is not tied to the name of the planet or any of it's properties for that matter, orbits could shift when installing multiple planet packs with no FlightGlobalsIndex.

Therefore, from the next version and onward Cerillion and it's moons will be tied to a specific FlightGlobalsIndex. This means that, when updating to the next version, crafts landed on Cerillion or orbiting Cerillion for that matter may shift to orbit it's innermost moon, Mavis, instead. This is a one-time thing.

So, what should you do when updating?

- Try to finish any mission to Cerillion before installing the update.

- Make a backup of your save file just in case.

- Install the new update.

The next update will only contain Mavis and Jacob for now, the last two moons are still in-development and will be added over time. Since these will have an FGI from the start they will not affect the orbits of spacecrafts, that is, unless the spacecrafts are orbiting in the vicinity of these new moons.

When I get home (and can get a look at the configs) I'll post the orbital info of Mavis and Jacob so any orbiting crafts can be adjusted in advance.

I'm terribly sorry for this FGI inconvenience but I better make the jump now before there is a whole bunch of moons that can complicate things further. Again, this is a one-time inconvenience.

On a separate note, I'm looking into the asteroid systems to see if I can add little moonlets to Cerillion's ringsystem as possible outpost locations. Minor Kopernicus-moons (read: moons with gravity) are an idea that I have to work out further, the idea being several tiny objects in the outermost regions of Cerillion's system as scattered asteroids.

@JacobJHC

EpWhtMg.png

a6XxxJs.png

That right there in the background is a WIP skybox (still hand-painting the stars) that will likely be shipped with Cerillion in a future update.

You can also spot the two in-dev moons in the background if you look close enough.

The last image is a WIP noise texture by the way, it'll be more fine-tuned in the release version.

2 hours ago, The White Guardian said:

a6XxxJs.png

So that's Jacob. It looks like an extreme Minmus. It's breathtaking. I have an SSTO which should be able to land there. Time to prepare for takeoff.....

Edited by JacobJHC

@The White Guardian I've spent the last few days building the most obscene lifter for my Cerillion base. I'm going to do a single-launch station and try to land it on the surface. Obviously I'm going to wait to do all of that until you roll out the awesome updates, so keep us all posted. That being said, tomorrow I'm going to do a bit of streaming for my orbital launch (will keep the station in LKO until further notice) as well as building my mining rig and rover for the base. The idea is to have a full station for science, a remote fueling station, and a rover that can explore and carry fuel from the mining operation to the base or a waiting rocket for further exploration of the moons.

Jeb's taken to calling Cerllion "Less Crowded Kerbin" and is excited to spend some time relaxing in a proper facility (as opposed to his spacesuit).

Thanks!

WEATHER WARNING: INCOMING STORMS!

dqvPrcY.png

You can now find sandstorms (that lower the light by ~85%...) and mist banks (minus ~15% light) drifting on Cerillion.

All moons are nearing completion. Stuff like biome maps and science defs are planned for the update after that.

So far three out of four moons are complete, although the fourth one may be revamped later.

50 minutes ago, The White Guardian said:

WEATHER WARNING: INCOMING STORMS!

dqvPrcY.png

You can now find sandstorms (that lower the light by ~85%...) and mist banks (minus ~15% light) drifting on Cerillion.

All moons are nearing completion. Stuff like biome maps and science defs are planned for the update after that.

So far three out of four moons are complete, although the fourth one may be revamped later.

So I Have EVE, scatterer, and HD textures installed through ckan. Despite reinstalling in different orders and using different recommended configuration files for each, I still can't get clouds to show up at all. Will that cause issues with the sandstorms or are they going to function independently?  Awesome work!

@Disparia Books That's probably because the current cloudsystem uses the default BoulderCo textures. In the next update this dependency will become obsolete.

Cloudsystems are integrated with Cerillion - all it needs is the EVE plugin. Same goes for Scatterer.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.