[.16] Fix for weak large decouplers plus reduced wobble

CrashnBurn

I did a few calculations and decided the new, large decouplers needed some beefing up.

This is a simple .cfg file edit that increases the strength to what it would be just given the parts volume and diameter and based on the strength of the old, small decoupler as a reference. Even with this tweak, you can still knock off an engine or tank if you don\'t design it properly, but you shouldn\'t need to truss the couplers anymore. As a side benefit, my rockets seem to wobble much less.

These new config\'s are 8 times stronger than the original, which is far less than the 10x mass increase would suggest, but I think it\'s a fair balance.

EnragedPlatypus cleared up where the files go, I forgot to say what folders.

The first file should be decoupler1-2 and the second should be radialDecoupler1-2...

The first file is the large TR-19A stack Decoupler .cfg

The second file is the large TT-38K radial decoupler .cfg

Don\'t mix them up. :D

Edited by CrashnBurn
forum upgrade duplicated atachments

Which part names in the KSP\Parts folder are these? It\'s hard to tell from the cfgs because Harv made them identical by accident. I also can\'t find the large stack decoupler at all.

Which part names in the KSP\Parts folder are these? It\'s hard to tell from the cfgs because Harv made them identical by accident. I also can\'t find the large stack decoupler at all.

The first file should be decoupler1-2 and the second should be radialDecoupler1-2, I believe.

The first file should be decoupler1-2 and the second should be radialDecoupler1-2, I believe.

^ Yep, what he said. Thanks for clearing up my omission, Enraged Platypus, I will add that to the first post.

There are four stock decouplers in the game, but only two need modification. ;)

I had added the two .cfg files for the .16 large decouplers to the original post.

I assume the forum upgrade duplicated the attachments.

Sorry it was so confusing for you.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

The default strength setting is currently 22, I have seen very high settings in the 1000s, but I don't think anything we're building now would require settings that high. 200 is enough for almost any normal rocket part. I've never had to use anything higher.

• 9 months later...