What funny/interesting thing happened in your life today?

Ultimate Steve

1 hour ago, Earthlinger said:

It's where alumni/former students 'come back home' to their old/original schools. I think.

In all honesty, I have no idea what these things entail lol. The only dance I've been to was the graduation one the school staged, and that was four years ago. By rule of thumb, I only go if my friends are going, or if there's food.

If I sound experienced, don't look at me. Look at Wikipedia.

3 hours ago, Earthlinger said:

It's where alumni/former students 'come back home' to their old/original schools. I think.

It's where alumni come back home to their old school and make large donations to the school's building fund. At least that's what the mailings I receive from my alma mater would have me to believe.

4 hours ago, p1t1o said:

I've always wondered what "homecoming" is.

At my school, it's a whole week where each day there's a different silly dress-up theme, and on the last day all the seniors go to the school atrium and yell, and at the end of the day everyone has to go to the gym to yell and watch random students play nonsensical games that involve balloons and arbitrarily large quantities of toilet paper for "school spirit". Then in the evening there's a football game and a dance and nobody watches the ISS flying directly overhead or turns off the spotlights to try to get a glimpse of the departing Progress supply vehicle.

2 minutes ago, cubinator said:

At my school, it's a whole week where each day there's a different silly dress-up theme, and on the last day all the seniors go to the school atrium and yell, and at the end of the day everyone has to go to the gym to yell and watch random students play nonsensical games that involve balloons and arbitrarily large quantities of toilet paper for "school spirit". Then in the evening there's a football game and a dance and nobody watches the ISS flying directly overhead or turns off the spotlights to try to get a glimpse of the departing Progress supply vehicle.

Honestly, that sounds like the sort of thing I wish I got more of when I was at school, sounds quite fun, the ISS passes over all the time. But yeah, it probably would have been me and the others off in the corner having a whale of a time chatting Star Trek Voyager or something :wink:

17 minutes ago, p1t1o said:

Honestly, that sounds like the sort of thing I wish I got more of when I was at school, sounds quite fun, the ISS passes over all the time. But yeah, it probably would have been me and the others off in the corner having a whale of a time chatting Star Trek Voyager or something :wink:

When I was in high school I never went to a single homecoming. I always had something more important to do, which usually involved driving me, whichever girl I was dating, and a van-load of our friends to Hollywood or Westwood or Pasadena for dinner, a movie, and staying up way past our bedtimes. Much more fun than sitting around and watching football.

1 hour ago, TheSaint said:

When I was in high school I never went to a single homecoming. I always had something more important to do, which usually involved driving me, whichever girl I was dating, and a van-load of our friends to Hollywood or Westwood or Pasadena for dinner, a movie, and staying up way past our bedtimes. Much more fun than sitting around and watching football.

Yeah that sort of thing was only occasionally possible, just due to context, you make your own fun I guess :wink:

I have just come back from kwikfit, I had a slow puncture in a tyre. I have been moved to a different area in work and have to drive across the docks and I have been warned that I will pick up punctures there and sure enough, I had one today. Luckily it was a £25 fix and not a new tyre this time.

I was talking to one of the mechanics there and he was saying he is moving away in a few months, has a new job. I asked where, anywhere nice?
San Antonio, Texas. Aparently he went on a trip to NY and while there he met someone and they became an item and are getting married next year. He is a normal UK mechanic here in Wales, works in kwikfit about 50yo, she has just sold her $5million aparement in Manhatten so they can move to Texas.... aparently offered to buy him a Mustang V8 as a gift. Such an awesome story I really wish them well.
He already has a job over there, people don't seem to like working on european cars and he has experience of working on them so he found a job easily and was saying he will be getting paid 10 times as much as here.
Awesome things and life changes can happen.

Watching Jeopardy earlier. The answer was, "Who are the Ramones." Hearing Alex uttering the words, as if he were familiar with their music, caused me all kinds of mind wandering amusement. Admittedly I never quite got to the point I could picture him in his basement with the stereo cranking Beat On The Brat. 

I get to bandify in 5 days!

also I'm 1st chair tuba, and got a perfect on my scales test (Ab, Eb, Bb, F, and C concert scales)

google classroom rocks, never thought i'd actually like a school thing... weird

also we get to play "hooked on a feeling". bad part is we have the same rhythm for the entire song, just dual eighth notes, eighth rest, eighth note, quarter note, and either a dual eighth note again, or another quarter note, kinda weird. at least we get the rhythm from measures 42-48.

I JUST now realized I'm somehow good at the tuba...weird

also! beginner's tubas, they're basically euphoniums, advanced tubas are much bigger!

Not funny, but an event...

In my english class, there was someone in my small group whom was eating popcorn, then they started coughing, not a normal cough, but a very strained cough. Then they started to stop coughing, good, right? Uuh, no. The other person asked if they were chocking, nod, ooooh crap. Thankfully, they got it out of they're throat themselves. 

Moral of the story; pay attention to those emergency thingies that you learn at school

Edited by RoadRunnerAerospace

I had an orchestra concert last night, and we had a few guest soloists as well. We're all listening to the cellist talk, and all of a sudden, all of the soloists and my instructor were together on the stage. Then they started playing Paint It Black, and it was the best string rendition I've heard.

Then we had both orchestras all play bluegrass as one giant fiddle. It was a fun night.

I love IKEA, you come for 3 things and end up with 25 more things.

Ann? Ann? ANN? Where are you? WHERE ARE YOU ANN? I DONT KNOW THE WAY OUT ANN? ANN HELP! ANN I DONT WANT YOU TO LEAVE M.... ooh nice bowl, let me take this...

2 hours ago, NSEP said:

I love IKEA, you come for 3 things and end up with 25 more things.

Ann? Ann? ANN? Where are you? WHERE ARE YOU ANN? I DONT KNOW THE WAY OUT ANN? ANN HELP! ANN I DONT WANT YOU TO LEAVE M.... ooh nice bowl, let me take this...

You love it until you’re being dragged around the whole damn store for 3 hours by your parents who are doing the exactly what you describe...

27 minutes ago, TheEpicSquared said:

You love it until you’re being dragged around the whole damn store for 3 hours by your parents who are doing the exactly what you describe...

True that. IKEA is fun, but gets really annoying, especially when younhave to wait for them to grab something while you cause a traffic jam. I also dislike the kids who nick those Weelchairs and mess around with them like toys.

I went to the Wings Over Houston Airshow. They couldnt get the F-4's engine to start, the the MiG-15, F-100, and A-4 were just fine. There was an F/A-18E demo. And, of course, the Thunderbirds were there. Im uploading the videos right now...

The MiG-17 Videos

https://photos.app.goo.gl/oKrRnbgQkd348UQs2

F/A-18E

https://photos.app.goo.gl/WO4gmvjA90w9REam2

F-100 and A-4

https://photos.app.goo.gl/A4G29EQImAzySYdD2

Shockwave Jet Truck vs. Stunt Plane

https://photos.app.goo.gl/KoCGwun0FBZZJzjj1

Edited by Guest

2 minutes ago, dundun92 said:

Ive yet to see neptune... yet. Ive seen Uranus though.

If you have a decent telescope and clear skies you should check. It's really quite easy to find once you locate Hydor with the naked eye, if you check out Stellarium or a similar star chart first.

Just now, cubinator said:

If you have a decent telescope and clear skies you should check. It's really quite easy to find once you locate Hydor with the naked eye, if you check out Stellarium or a similar star chart first.

I live in a city subrub, and i only have a refractor. I can find Hydor though. Ill give it a a try!