What funny/interesting thing happened in your life today?

Ultimate Steve

5 minutes ago, cubinator said:

If you have a decent telescope and clear skies you should check. It's really quite easy to find once you locate Hydor with the naked eye, if you check out Stellarium or a similar star chart first.

My telescope's mirror is getting pretty dirty. Any recommendations for cleaning? I tried to see Saturn a while back... No dice.

Just now, dundun92 said:

I live in a city subrub, and i only have a refractor. I can find Hydor though. Ill give it a a try!

Good luck! My really basic guidelines (don't take it too seriously, you may not see exactly this):

About a moon-width south of Hydor, there's two objects really close to each other and a third one off to the left (looking through the mirror-image of the telescope, and also in the Northern hemisphere). The rightmost and brighter of the two close objects is Neptune.

1 minute ago, Ultimate Steve said:

My telescope's mirror is getting pretty dirty. Any recommendations for cleaning? I tried to see Saturn a while back... No dice.

Lens paper?

So today I had band contest. However, I'm only here for one reason. The Air Force base. Literally like a mile away from the high school we have to march at, there's Dyess Air Force Base. Now that's epic in itself. During lunch I get to see B-1 bombers taking off. But as we were (or technically are; we're on the highway now) driving past, I snapped a couple awesome pics of a b-1 . But I realized. That things moving pretty slow.. Sure enough, it was landing! MY SCHOOL BUS DRAG RACED A B-1!!! I snapped a ton of pics of the bomber (including some absolutely amazing pictures where it was pointed at the camera), and the AFB (not sure if that's legal actually). 

Now you may be wondering: What's so special about a B-1 bomber? Well first I'd slap you upside the head. But then I'd tell you. Dyess AFB is one of only 2 Air Force bases in the state of Texas that has B-1 bombers. Also, IT'S THE FLIPPING US AIR FORCE!! HOW IS THAT NOT AWESOME?!

20 hours ago, DarkOwl57 said:

So today I had band contest. However, I'm only here for one reason. The Air Force base. Literally like a mile away from the high school we have to march at, there's Dyess Air Force Base. Now that's epic in itself. During lunch I get to see B-1 bombers taking off. But as we were (or technically are; we're on the highway now) driving past, I snapped a couple awesome pics of a b-1 . But I realized. That things moving pretty slow.. Sure enough, it was landing! MY SCHOOL BUS DRAG RACED A B-1!!! I snapped a ton of pics of the bomber (including some absolutely amazing pictures where it was pointed at the camera), and the AFB (not sure if that's legal actually). 

Now you may be wondering: What's so special about a B-1 bomber? Well first I'd slap you upside the head. But then I'd tell you. Dyess AFB is one of only 2 Air Force bases in the state of Texas that has B-1 bombers. Also, IT'S THE FLIPPING US AIR FORCE!! HOW IS THAT NOT AWESOME?!

Nice! I live near a major  commercial airport(in texas), and get to see at least 1 A380 and 1 747 take off daily. 

Oh, and I dont actually think thats legal to take pictures of the base like that. Ive visited David Monthan AFB, and during the boneyard tour, they said no pictures untill we are out of the active AFB area. 

Edited by Guest

On 10/23/2017 at 4:51 PM, DarkOwl57 said:

"While it may seem crass to call an airplane sexy, if any aircraft is worthy of the title, it is the B-1 Lancer."

-Tom Clancy

18 hours ago, TheKosanianMethod said:

"While it may seem crass to call an airplane sexy, if any aircraft is worthy of the title, it is the B-1 Lancer."

-Tom Clancy

My all time favorite (large-size) plane.

img_6833.jpg

On 23/10/2017 at 2:56 AM, dundun92 said:

Lens paper?

No !

Lens paper is nice for hard coated surfaces, but not for a telescope mirror. Store it upside down so that it doesn't collect too much dust. Ignore dust. If you can't resist then here's one of many instructions.

@_Augustus_ manufactures telescopes, trying to tag him. @Ultimate Steve has a dirty mirror ....

Edited by Green Baron

The time is 8:15. I am at a Junior Varsity Football game against my first ever 4-A team. I glance at the scoreboard; Badgers 16-0 Visitors. Badgers with the ball. We are unfortunately not the badgers and we're definitely the visitors. The sun has already set, and the lights have turned on. Then, I look up. I see 2 flashing lights. Then another pair of white lights. But there's something interesting.. 2 bits of blue trails. "What's that?" I ask myself. Then, they fly overhead. I see the blue trails clearly now; and the spacing of the lights. "Oh my god.." I mutter. "That's an F-22 Raptor!!!" The second plane fly's overhead, and it's the same thing. 2 pale blue trails, flashing lights, the works. 2 F-22 raptors. But I see they're flying pretty fast. Then, I hear it. It's a deep, dull, rumbling crackle. No-one notices. Then, It gets louder. And Louder. And Louder! It is a massive, booming, that I can feel through my chest pads and ankle brace. The entire game seems to stop. Everyone's looking up, trying to find the noise-making devices. Now by this point, I'm grinning like a madman trying to keep from saluting and shouting the theme song for the US Air Corps at the top of my lungs like an absolute idiot. But finally, they go away. And I feel sad. But happy at the same time. Because even though I don't know exactly what I saw, I know with my heart what it is. An F-22 Raptor. And even if it wasn't a Raptor, I don't care. Because I know what I heard. And that was the best experience of my life.

57 minutes ago, Green Baron said:

No !

Lens paper is nice for hard coated surfaces, but not for a telescope mirror. Store it upside down so that it doesn't collect too much dust. Ignore dust. If you can't resist then here's one of many instructions.

@_Augustus_ manufactures telescopes, trying to tag him. @Ultimate Steve has a dirty mirror ....

Same way one would clean and care for the mirror of an SLR!

I'm dating myself here.

Today i almost drowned in children wanting to see my drawings, they tried playing Mans Not Hot at the party to cheer up, that did not help, luckily i went with my cousin to my Grandma's house, i got saved. 

Short story shorter: i don't like younger kids. 

6 hours ago, LordFerret said:

Same way one would clean and care for the mirror of an SLR!

I don't remember ever cleaning the mirror on my camera, probably because it doesn't matter if it's spotless. Unless it's a fairly large speck stuck on the mirror, it's not visible since it's not focused, and even if it is visible through the viewfinder, it's not visible in the final image.

I did clean the focusing screen, though. That's another very delicate device, that is hard to clean, but easy to catch dirt.

6 hours ago, LordFerret said:

I'm dating myself here.

As long as you're in good company....

3 hours ago, Shpaget said:

I don't remember ever cleaning the mirror on my camera, probably because it doesn't matter if it's spotless. Unless it's a fairly large speck stuck on the mirror, it's not visible since it's not focused, and even if it is visible through the viewfinder, it's not visible in the final image.

I did clean the focusing screen, though. That's another very delicate device, that is hard to clean, but easy to catch dirt.

As long as you're in good company....

I used (still have) Nikon F2S equipment, and frequent lens changes out in the field along with less frequent focusing screen changes for use with specific lenses, would invariably end up allowing dust, dirt, grit, pollen (especially) on the mirror and such. Changing out a focusing screen exposes not only the mirror and focusing screen to contaminants, but the underside of the Photomic  F2S finder as well. Now I don't know about you, but in looking through my viewfinder I demand a crystal clear view... my preference... just like I can't stand the windshield of my car being dirty - inside or out.

On 10/22/2017 at 11:14 AM, NSEP said:

I love IKEA, you come for 3 things and end up with 25 more things.

Ann? Ann? ANN? Where are you? WHERE ARE YOU ANN? I DONT KNOW THE WAY OUT ANN? ANN HELP! ANN I DONT WANT YOU TO LEAVE M.... ooh nice bowl, let me take this...

You come for 3 things, and end up with a crate of IKEA Swedish meatballs. Just a whole bunch of meatballs...