What funny/interesting thing happened in your life today?

Ultimate Steve

2 hours ago, Confused Scientist said:

After two straight minutes of clicking "random article" on Wikipedia, I end up with Depopulation of cockroaches in post-Soviet states.

2 hours ago, Ultimate Steve said:

I had to try this. I ended up with "list of highways numbered 350." There is apparently dozens of them... https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_highways_numbered_350

Speaking of Wikipedia, did you know that if you click on and dig through articles you can always end up in the observable universe article!? I tried it and its super easy.

4 minutes ago, NSEP said:

Speaking of Wikipedia, did you know that if you click on and dig through articles you can always end up in the observable universe article!? I tried it and its super easy.

I remember an XKCD alt-text once claimed that if you started in any arbitrary article, then clicked on the first link of each article in turn you inevitably wound up in the Philosophy article.

7 minutes ago, NSEP said:

Click the first link in the main text of a Wikipedia page. Wash, rinse, repeat. 97% of the time you will eventually end up on the "philosophy" page. 

EDIT Ninja!

@TheSaint Here is the link to the article on the phenomenon: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wikipedia:Getting_to_Philosophy

Edited by Ultimate Steve

6 minutes ago, Ultimate Steve said:

Click the first link in the main text of a Wikipedia page. Wash, rinse, repeat. 97% of the time you will eventually end up on the "philosophy" page. 

EDIT Ninja!

@TheSaint Here is the link to the article on the phenomenon: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wikipedia:Getting_to_Philosophy

I can see the beginnings of the world's lamest doctoral dissertation here....

Edited by TheSaint

Today I searched the internet for a Kerbal T-Shirt that was not lame, over-designed, or graphically humongous (a personal pet peeve). In the process I found a KSP bikini pantie.  My wife did not find them interesting. Seriously? :wink: 

Annnnnnnd now I've started a whole Wikipedia thing! I guess that counts as something interesting today.

EDIT: Just took me eight tries to get to philosophy, from a random link in the "How to get to Philosophy" tutorial. I have also confirmed that it takes six links to travel from philosophy to philosophy. From a random word (monsoon) it took me twenty-one links, if I remember correctly. The mean number is twenty-seven. And from "Depopulation of Cockroaches in Post-Soviet States," it's twenty.

Edited by Confused Scientist

Philosophy - Wikipediaen.wikipedia.org

7:45 PM

Verificationism - Wikipediaen.wikipedia.org

Fact - Wikipediaen.wikipedia.org

Knowledge - Wikipediaen.wikipedia.org

Discipline (academia) - Wikipediaen.wikipedia.org

Social science - Wikipediaen.wikipedia.org

Social group - Wikipediaen.wikipedia.org

Society - Wikipediaen.wikipedia.org

Sociolinguistics - Wikipediaen.wikipedia.org

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Variety_(linguistics)en.wikipedia.org

Variety (linguistics) - Wikipediaen.wikipedia.org

American English - Wikipediaen.wikipedia.org

Behavior - Wikipediaen.wikipedia.org

Psychology - Wikipediaen.wikipedia.org

Meaning-making - Wikipediaen.wikipedia.org

Semiotics - Wikipediaen.wikipedia.org

Meaning (semiotics) - Wikipediaen.wikipedia.org

Communication - Wikipediaen.wikipedia.org

7:44 PM

Language - Wikipediaen.wikipedia.org

Vernacular - Wikipediaen.wikipedia.org

Colloquialism - Wikipediaen.wikipedia.org

Modern Greek - Wikipediaen.wikipedia.org

Greek language - Wikipediaen.wikipedia.org

Ancient Greek - Wikipediaen.wikipedia.org

Mathematics - Wikipediaen.wikipedia.org

Computing - Wikipediaen.wikipedia.org

Computer programming - Wikipediaen.wikipedia.org

Computer - Wikipediaen.wikipedia.org

User (computing) - Wikipediaen.wikipedia.org

Point and click - Wikipediaen.wikipedia.org

7:43 PM

Wikipedia:Getting to Philosophy - Wikipedia

Edited by DAL59

2 minutes ago, TheKosanianMethod said:

Currently rockin' black Nike New Balances and dark blue Merrell trail runners. 

I just bought a new pair of Brooks Adrenalines, because I have the flattest feet you've ever seen. My normal street runners are Brooks Beasts.

8 hours ago, The_Cat_In_Space said:

Someone emailed the whole school today. The message simply said 'suck my ----'. I found it funny, but have NO IDEA why they would send it to the WHOLE ENTIRE SCHOOL!

That happends to me also every now and then. I remember someone mailing the entire school because that person lost their glasses, that was 2 years ago, i hope she found them lol. Also, sometimes people just simply say a swearword and that can be quite funny at times.

Also, tommorow im going to meet REAL ASTRONUT ANDRÉ KUIPERS.

Edited by NSEP

So I live in West London, UK, and work in Slough about 15 miles away.

I am ordering a car from a dealership in Doncaster (about 200miles away) because thats where the best deal is.

To kill 2 birds with one stone, and to give it a good burn-in drive, Im having it delivered to my parents house and I will pick it up from there ( the second "bird" is visiting my parents), my parents live much closer to Doncaster than me.

I got the financial paperwork to sign, and the address of the head office on the paperwork?

Its like 100m away from my office in Slough, I can literally see their building from our windows.

Small world huh?

Edited by p1t1o

On 11/8/2017 at 11:56 PM, TheSaint said:

I remember an XKCD alt-text once claimed that if you started in any arbitrary article, then clicked on the first link of each article in turn you inevitably wound up in the Philosophy article.

Took me 34 clicks, started with the article "Martha Lake Airport Park" (obtained by clicking "Random article").

Martha Lake Airport Park

1. County park
  2. Park
  3. Recreation
  4. Leisure
  5. Time
  6. Sequence
  7. Mathematics
  8. Ancient Greek
  9. Greek language
  10. Modern Greek
  11. Help:IPA/Greek
  12. International Phonetic Alphabet
  13. Alphabet
  14. Letter (alphabet)
  15. Grapheme
  16. Linguistics
  17. Language
  18. Communication
  19. Meaning (semiotics)
  20. Semiotics
  21. Meaning-making
  22. Psychology
  23. Behavior
  24. American English
  25. Variety (linguistics)
  26. Sociolinguistics
  27. Society
  28. Social group
  29. Social science
  30. Discipline (academia)
  31. Knowledge
  32. Fact
  33. Verificationism
  34. Philosophy
Edited by TheEpicSquared

I've nearly completed a whole season of Bollywood dance classes and wearing traditional Indian dresses to work most of the week. 

I was moved to a department that pretty much uses data analytics to tell other departments what to fix and how... and seem to have enough clout to burn through any office politics to get them fixed. This seems way better than the previous job role of being a nameless corp wageslave in some dystopian sci-fi reality.

A mysterious bonus is on its way to my bank account and the reason is not known...