What funny/interesting thing happened in your life today?

Ultimate Steve

So, I was at improv practice tonight and we were waiting for the other group to plan out their scene, which we are given two minutes to do. I turn to the guy next to me and say "Hmm, I wonder if I could get to the cafeteria and back in two minutes." And he says "Try it." And I don't hesitate, I just run.

Improv/English room: Third floor, far south side of the school.

Cafeteria: First floor, far north side of the school.

So, I run down the staircase and turn into the hallway which leads into the 1952 expansion, which is basically a long ramp. However, there's a group of middle school (I think) kids standing there at the base of the hallway, and for whatever reason as soon as they see me burst through the doors, they all start screaming and run away. I got the feeling they weren't supposed to be there, but I was too busy laughing my face off to care.

Made it there and back in under a minute and a half. :)

Went to a Basketball tournament yesterday, and our team got stuffed like a turkey on Thanksgiving Eve. I hated it for 2 reasons. First, we lost 2 games out of 2 that we played. Second, I missed 3 perfectly open shots. The first shot was an airball. Wide open, I took a handoff and lined up. I jumped up, and as soon as the ball left my hand, I winced. Well that ball is krap, I thought as the ball didn't even hit the backboard. Then we come to the second game. I stand on the sidelines for much of the game (Per usual; I'm not LeBron), and finally get subbed in. I get a pass this time. I flow around one defender, and shoot. It's going up, up, up! It hits the backboard. IT'S GOING IN!!!!! The ball falls, and slams the rim with enough force to shake the floor, and the ball harmlessly bounces out of the rim and onto the ground.

"YOU'VE GOT TO BE KIDDING!" I inadvertently shout. The second shot.

By this point the game's pointless. We're down by 30 with 40 seconds left on the clock. I go in and do what my coach says. "Every time you get that ball, shoot." I go in, and I catch the pass. Then my post blocks for me. I go up, and in between 2 guys. "Oooo!" The guys on the bench say as I literally go under them. Who says short people can't play ball? I line up for the shot- free-throw length, straight up the middle. I've hit this shot thousands of times in practice. I jump up, and the ball's perfect up the middle. I aimed for the backboard, but it was a bit flat. The ball goes past the front of the rim. The team was standing up. I know it's going in. It's in.. IT'S IN!!! It's not in. The ball slammed against that tiny circular bit on the inside of the rim, and the ball was flung out of the rim at mach speed, and they got the rebound.

Yup. My yesterday.

At least I got to ride on the new charter bus

Edited by Vanamonde

Unbelievable... It's December... the snowstorm that hit Houston is heading this way... the wind is picking up, and the temperature is dropping rapidly...

And I swear to God... I hear an Ice Cream truck outside nearby....  :huh:

Only in Florida... :confused:

10 minutes ago, Just Jim said:

Unbelievable... It's December... the snowstorm that hit Houston is heading this way... the wind is picking up, and the temperature is dropping rapidly...

And I swear to God... I hear an Ice Cream truck outside nearby....  :huh:

Only in Florida... :confused:

We were supposed to get snow until this snowstorm turned south... Grrr...

Today I climbed a large, 6 meter ish tall pile of snow (roughly 20 feet, for all you stubborn imperial unit-users), reached the top, looked around, felt proud of myself, and then promptly slipped and rolled down.

According to my parents, it was quite hilarious.

5 hours ago, Earthlinger said:

Today I climbed a large, 6 meter ish tall pile of snow (roughly 20 feet, for all you stubborn imperial unit-users), reached the top, looked around, felt proud of myself, and then promptly slipped and rolled down.

According to my parents, it was quite hilarious.

:(

We have had flurries and that's it. We didn't get much snow last year either. The only time I went sledding was during freezing rain, which made for... Interesting sledding...

I almost passed out today! It wasn't that fun. Lots of sparkly stuff in my eyes, low blood pressure, and generally not feeling well. Nurse described it as shock. Laid down for a couple hours afterwards.

Just noticed:
The most popular thread in Forum Games is "ban another user" ("Ban the user above you") (20300 replies since 2012).
The second most popular thread in Forum Games is "corrupt another user's wish" ("Make a wish and have it horribly corrupted") (14200 replies since 2012).
Other forum games are much less popular.

Those humans... They like nothing as much as banning a neighbor or corrupting the neighbor's wishes...

Edited by kerbiloid

I just did two of those online "When will I die" tests. One said 2074, one said 2093.

It got me thinking. How accurate exactly are they? I've already come relatively close to death a few times. Am I either lucky to have survived, or unlucky that I've had so many near-ish death experiences? Am I living in the danger zone, or does everyone have several near death experiences before they're out of high school?

And then I realized, that even if I die in the 2065, I'm currently as close to the date of the first moon landing than I am to my death. Part of me wonders if the space agencies will have pulled themselves together by then and gotten us to Mars...

Interesting, if slightly weird thoughts.

56 minutes ago, Ultimate Steve said:

I've already come relatively close to death a few times

Actually? When/how?

I've had some relatively serious injuries, but never something where I could have died...

This one time I almost got run over by an idiot on a scooter (motorcycle) who ignored the red light, but he was moving relatively slowly and only hit my backpack :P

People under 18: 

It is really not safe for you to be posting personal information on the internet. Avoid pictures of yourself, the name of your school, any details about where you live (don't even mention the city), your age, the grade you're in, and so on. We've been pretty lenient about this in the past and just removing the information for you and sending a reminder, but it's been happening so much lately that we are going to start issuing warns about it. This is for your own protection. 

35 minutes ago, Earthlinger said:

Actually? When/how?

I might be slightly exaggerating, but here's a list:

• I wasn't breathing when I was born, the umbilical cord was wrapped around my neck twice.
  • I almost had a model rocket launched directly into my face. Most likely not lethal, but, man, I was screaming for a solid thirty seconds after it missed my face by two inches.
  • I almost fell off of a very large cliff in South Dakota, I was sliding towards it then my foot caught a rock.
  • I was involved in a car crash a few months ago that injured two people pretty badly, one of whom could have easily died (I was in the same car as both of them).

I myself nearly died a few times. Most of them via cars zipping close by. But they were just close calls, not actuall accidents. I never got injured, the last time i was in the hospital bed was for my birth. Here are some examples: (some of them aren't really close to death/close calls but life threatening)

• I got nearly hit by cars several times. Once there was a car accident down the road and if i went just a moment earlier, i could've been involdved.
  • A rock once landed next to me during PE class, it came outta nowhere, its likely someone threw but i saw nobody there, so he/she could've ran away. That thing went fast and if it hit my head i could have some brain damage.
  • Some weird man once offered me help with my bike, i said no. Im not sure what he was wanting to because it sounded a little suspicious.
  • There is a motorclubhouse where guns and weapons are stored. If someone had acces to that and was out of his mind, well you know the deal.

Im easily paranoid when something dangerous can happend and im always carefull with things.

Damn is this thread getting tol dark?

22 hours ago, qzgy said:

It wasn't that fun. Lots of sparkly stuff in my eyes, low blood pressure, and generally not feeling well. Nurse described it as shock. Laid down for a couple hours afterwards.

Had something similar a while ago. I tripped because of nothing (aside from overestimating friction on my floor)

Well, at least my I only saw black every time I tried to stand up after that for 30 minutes or so. I was fine after that.

But now, I have another goal to achieve in my life: NEVER actually pass out.

4 hours ago, NSEP said:

I myself nearly died a few times. Most of them via cars zipping close by. But they were just close calls, not actuall accidents. I never got injured, the last time i was in the hospital bed was for my birth. Here are some examples: (some of them aren't really close to death/close calls but life threatening)

Oh, that reminds me, once I was sitting in the back of a school bus and we crossed an intersection and a pickup truck went straight across at medium speed and missed the back of the bus by a couple feet.

That's five.

Another one I thought was a close call at the time, but I was nowhere close to actually dying: I was on this rollercoaster and my seatbelt (but not my lap bar) came undone. The coaster wasn't extreme or anything, but it sure freaked me out at the time.

Yesterday, there was a total blackout in my city at night. I'm not upset. In fact, I immediately ran outside of my house... To see the starry sky...

Holy... The starry sky is so beautiful!!! The night sky, full of stars isn't a scenery that you can see every night in a city. It's like the stars itself illuminates the night. Best night ever for me to see such a scenery

Edited by ARS

I did die. When I had my aneurysm repair, the aneurysm was so large they had to replace my entire aorta from the root, right above the heart, all the way through the arch. Well, normally when they do surgery on that part of the aorta, they splice the heart-lung bypass machine into the aortic arch. So, in my case, they:

1. Put me under anesthesia. (I was very grateful for this step.)
  2. Patched one end of the heart-lung machine into my femoral artery.
  3. Cut an eight-inch incision in the middle of my chest.
  4. Patched the other end of the heart-lung machine into the aortic arch.
  5. Stopped my heart.
  6. Started cooling my blood as it passed through the heart-lung machine to bring my body temperature down to 65F.
  7. Rotated my body so that my head was down 30 degrees. (To prevent any air bubbles from collecting in my brain.)
  8. Stopped the heart-lung machine.
  9. Cut out the aortic arch. 
  10. Sewed the new aortic implant (with the heart-lung machine already attached) into the aortic arch.
  11. Started the heart-lung machine.

Then they started warming me back up and moved on to the much more complicated step of sewing the implant into the aortic root. All told, between the times the heart-lung machine was stopped and started I had no blood flow through my entire body for 11 minutes. Clinically dead. But, as they say in the medical field, you aren't dead until you are warm and dead. :) All told I was in the OR for nine hours. 

Sonic Booms!!!

I kid you not, Sonic Booms this afternoon! I was writing up the next Emiko chapter, and baking a pumpkin pie, when we heard and felt a couple loud rumbly booms. I wasn't sure what it was at first... we did have a really impressive T-storm last night, and I know they're working on rebuilding a retention pond a block over... but on a cold, rainy Saturday afternoon???

Then I got a pm from our buddy @ZooNamedGames, who lives not terribly far from me, asking if I heard the boom! He'll tell ya... they were louder by him!

Well... it gets even more interesting, because now no-one seems to know what caused it. Here's the write-up that just showed up on our local news website:

If you heard a loud boom this afternoon, you weren’t alone.
Many people across the Bay area reported hearing the loud noise.
Residents in Hillsborough, Pasco and Polk counties also reported feeling the ground shaking.
Was it an explosion? A military operation?
Spectrum Bay News 9 reached out to law enforcement agencies to find out the cause.
Many agencies said they didn’t know.
A Pasco County Sheriff’s Officer spokesperson said the agency received dozens of calls about the boom. Some callers reported seeing military-style jets around the time of the boom, but Pasco deputies were not able to confirm that.
It seems, for now, the loud boom remains a mystery.   

So I'm guessing they were some sort of fighter jets out of MacDill.... but for now it appears to be somewhat of a mystery....

hmmm......

Edited by Just Jim