What funny/interesting thing happened in your life today?

Ultimate Steve

1 minute ago, Ultimate Steve said:

I was going through my grandfather's old binders from the time he worked at NASA. And - well, see for yourself!

F1dvr2S.jpg

*Sound of me geeking out*

Thats really neat! Which mission?

1 minute ago, qzgy said:

Thats really neat! Which mission?

STS-3, the first one with an unpainted ET and the only one to land at White Sands. Also appears to be signed by both astronauts and the NASA administrator, although I can't tell if that was printed or if they're actual signatures. The latter would be really cool!

2 minutes ago, Ultimate Steve said:

STS-3, the first one with an unpainted ET and the only one to land at White Sands. Also appears to be signed by both astronauts and the NASA administrator, although I can't tell if that was printed or if they're actual signatures. The latter would be really cool!

Ok - explains the  image and the only 2 astronauts. BTW, what did he do? Engineer? Something in mission control?

1 minute ago, qzgy said:

Ok - explains the  image and the only 2 astronauts. BTW, what did he do? Engineer? Something in mission control?

I'm not exactly sure what he did, but he worked at Lewis Research Center in Ohio. I'm guessing more towards the experimental engineering/design side of things. Reading through this binder, it looks like he was really involved with the SP-100 project, which was about future applications of nuclear power in space for electrical power, though, not propulsion. Unfortunately it did not advance to flight hardware, but it did produce several neat designs. He also appears to have been involved in alloy development.

Just now, Ultimate Steve said:

I'm not exactly sure what he did, but he worked at Lewis Research Center in Ohio. I'm guessing more towards the experimental engineering/design side of things. Reading through this binder, it looks like he was really involved with the SP-100 project, which was about future applications of nuclear power in space for electrical power, though, not propulsion. Unfortunately it did not advance to flight hardware, but it did produce several neat designs. He also appears to have been involved in alloy development.

I'm now really curious to rifle through that.

I've also found out that he worked at NASA from 1958 through 1988, that's quite a long time, so he almost definitely did other stuff as well! I find it amazing to know that my grandfather was at NASA from basically the very beginning. I did not know that at all, I had always assumed he came in later...

11 hours ago, qzgy said:

I sorta now want a qualitative value. Also, how do you know that they are the hottest? Just word of mouth?

Well for one, I saw them. Two, I'm in the middle of a 2000 population town, so I don't have much of a pool to choose from. Three, considering that I couldn't keep y eyes off of them, yeah- they were the hottest. 

1 hour ago, DarkOwl57 said:

Well for one, I saw them. Two, I'm in the middle of a 2000 population town, so I don't have much of a pool to choose from. Three, considering that I couldn't keep y eyes off of them, yeah- they were the hottest. 

Ok then (2000 people is very small.... Being from NJ, my middle school had 1500 or so people..... AND THERE'S THREE MIDDLE SCHOOLS.)

In other news.... MOAR SNOW. Not much though....

5 hours ago, qzgy said:

In other news.... MOAR SNOW. Not much though....

Ha

I have the best snow. My  snow is so deep, I'm practically drowning

Help

No actually, we have like a meter of snow, and I have to climb this five meter high pile in order to get to the bus station

:P

Edited by Earthlinger

5 minutes ago, Earthlinger said:

Ha

Help

No actually, we have like a meter of snow, and I have to climb this five meter high pile in order to get to the bus station

I'll trade you! We had one significant snow (less than a quarter of an inch, though) and it's melted by now.

Just now, Ultimate Steve said:

I'll trade you! We had one significant snow (less than a quarter of an inch, though) and it's melted by now.

Lol :D

I used to live in the rainiest place in Canada (and also the warmest) and we'd hardly ever get a good snowfall. Christmas was always rainy :/

1 hour ago, Earthlinger said:

Ha

Help

I wish I had that much snow..... I like the snow....

24 minutes ago, qzgy said:

I wish I had that much snow..... I like the snow....

I wish I had snow.   I live in Southwest Missouri, and we haven't had a single flake this winter.  Hell, it was 60* F yesterday!

I grew up in Wisconsin, and this is just wrong.  I need there to be half an inch even just forecast so I can giggle at all the native southerners clearing the shelves of TP and bread.

22 hours ago, Geonovast said:

I wish I had snow.   I live in Southwest Missouri, and we haven't had a single flake this winter.  Hell, it was 60* F yesterday!

I grew up in Wisconsin, and this is just wrong.  I need there to be half an inch even just forecast so I can giggle at all the native southerners clearing the shelves of TP and bread.

When you live in a place where it snows once every TWENTY years and half the time it melts before the millimeter of snow. And we wouldn't bother to clear the shelves since we are 60% stone. We can stand against the Mediterranean heat, the southern mud drizzle, the eastern (dry in summer, rainy on autumn and spring) breeze, and the infamous, speedy, and COLD gale recibing the name of TRAMUNTANA, THE NORTHERN WIND. 

If we can stand the Tramuntana, we can stand everything with just a long sleeved shirt, a sweater and some jeans. Our single and powerful natural enemy is RAIN. Since it never rains, we have not developed a strong natural mechanism against the occasional downpours of April and November (al Abril, aigües mil (google translate that ;-) ))

As they say in Catalonia:

Al Decembre I al Gener, busca recer.

On 12/14/2017 at 5:04 PM, Geonovast said:

I grew up in upstate NY, and I've seen enough snow to last a lifetime... 

However, having said that, I live in Florida now, which almost never gets snow... almost. My grandparents remember it snowing here once, about 25 years or so ago. Anyway, It would be hilarious to watch the lifelong Floridians completely freak out if it started snowing, even just a little... hehehe...  

Its the last week of school, and i have 6 school tasks i have to finish by the end of the week, after that, its christmas time, my Dad is getting married right after christmas and right after that i have to get to England with my family to Crlebrate New Years Eve.

I only have 2 days of rest after that before school punches me in the face again.

Goodbye A380... we used to have two at IAH. Emirates replaced theirs with a 777-300 a while back, and Lufthansa just changed today to  747-8i. At least i saw them while they were there...