What funny/interesting thing happened in your life today?

Ultimate Steve

9 hours ago, NSEP said:

I only play Singleplayer. I think i made a Space Shuttle External tank and a small ITS once. I sill have to build the Falcon Heavy to my Memory lane...

I have developed a massive storyline over the years that connects multiple worlds together with the common theme of space exploration. I can summarize it if you want (but the whole thing is extremely long).

I laugh then nearly cried as YouTube, once again, showed how stupid its recommendations could be.

Here are the 23 last videos I looked after:

Spoiler

4hDn1lU.png

And here is what it suggests me to look after:

Spoiler

YUspfk7.png

Stupid flaters video?! Mariah Carey?!!! Video Games?! Team sports and all the rest?! Seriously... what is THAT?! Exception made of Dire Straits and the Force 5 tornado videos, why are you suggesting such a huge quantity of [snip] to us?!

3 hours ago, XB-70A said:

why are you suggesting such a huge quantity of [snip] to us?!

Believe me: "YouTube Deutschland" (the german version of YouTube) is far, far, FAR worse than this "sh*tty" content you see here. Every time I clean cookies from my computer I have to look at the cancer that german youtubers produce every day.

The worst part? They're getting paid for it. More than the people who work hard every day to earn their money.

Youtube is basically a free-money-platform for these people.

34 minutes ago, Ultimate Steve said:

I have developed a massive storyline over the years that connects multiple worlds together with the common theme of space exploration. I can summarize it if you want (but the whole thing is extremely long).

Im listening!

2 hours ago, XB-70A said:

I laugh then nearly cried as YouTube, once again, showed how stupid its recommendations could be.

Here are the 23 last videos I looked after:

Reveal hidden contents

4hDn1lU.png

And here is what it suggests me to look after:

Reveal hidden contents

YUspfk7.png

Stupid flaters video?! Mariah Carey?!!! Video Games?! Team sports and all the rest?! Seriously... what is THAT?! Exception made of Dire Straits and the Force 5 tornado videos, why are you suggesting such a huge quantity of sh*t to us?!

I live in the Netherlands and i luckily don't have these problems. Most of the Dutch Audience specializes in typical vlogs, minecraft let's plays and other stuff like that, but i there is no sign of that in my recommendations.

The only annoyance i have with my recommendations is Flat Earth/Moon Hoax junk, but i do understand that the YouTube robots/people can get confused, since they both got things like NASA, SPACE, and EARTH in the tags right?

2 hours ago, Delay said:

Believe me: "YouTube Deutschland" (the german version of YouTube) is far, far, FAR worse than this "sh*tty" content you see here. Every time I clean cookies from my computer I have to look at the cancer that german youtubers produce every day.

I can trust you, as I also have a bad experience about during the early 2010s when I still was in France (typical and local channels of unfunny pranksters)...

Here, however, the worst is that it start to happen about a week ago now. Sometime it was still recommending some flatearthers videos for flatminded peoples, but it was not so much a problem. Since then, the whole recommendations are detained at 50% by VEVO sub-channels (still could be interesting if ONLY it was not recommending me "music" from Beiber-style groups all the time), and 25% conspiradiots themed videos (from "40 000 km deep secret ultra-giga-mega-PYRAMIDS" to the reptilists theme about space dinosaurs leading the world), the remaining is consisting of music from all around the globe, car crashes (?!) and sports (?!).

Well, maybe not funny to you guys but today my phone rang....I answered and I was asked if I was "ginger Jamie from Tesco" ....i said I wasnt and then she asked "well, what Jamie are you"........wth???....a 28 second phone call that really confused my day....true story im afraid to say...

16 hours ago, maceemiller said:

Well, maybe not funny to you guys but today my phone rang....I answered and I was asked if I was "ginger Jamie from Tesco" ....i said I wasnt and then she asked "well, what Jamie are you"........wth???....a 28 second phone call that really confused my day....true story im afraid to say...

I usually don't get phone calls, but sometimes people confuse me with another person. Kindergarten teachers usually confuse me with another guy thats always has to be a Mohammed. Oh, and recently this guy thought i really looked liked some cringey YouTuber who lives their life playing PUBG and Roblox.

OK... It's been insane here the last couple days. My newest cat, Bug, is in heat. We plan on taking her over next week to be fixed, but had to wait until after the holidays so we had the $$$.

Anyway, I also have 2 male cats. Phantom and Waldo... And they are already fixed...

To put it bluntly, she's been chasing them all over the house the last couple days, and they just keep running away, and then looking at me all confused... :huh:

Edited by Just Jim

7 minutes ago, NSEP said:

I usually don't get phone calls, but sometimes people confuse me with another person.

I always, always get confused with my dad over the phone. Apparently our voices are so similar (they're >yottamiles apart, if that even exists) that even relatives say "Hello <insert dad name here>!". It's routine for me now to say: "Sorry, but I'm not <insert dad name here>. I'm his son, <insert my name here>".

It's hilarious but also really annoying.

So this didn't happend today (it happend 4-5 months ago actually), but when i first hopped on a Train on the English Countryside(thing) i was surprised when i heard what i thought was a diesel engine start up. Turns out i grew up travelling in electric trains my entire life without asking myself what the powerlines above the trains are doing. I also never really thought twice when i saw sparks travelling through those powerlines.

I like electric trains better than diesel, because diesel trains feel alot more like trucks on tracks and electronic trains are more special. Oh yeah and don't forget the whole global warming and pollution talk.

10 minutes ago, NSEP said:

Oh yeah and don't forget the whole global warming and pollution talk

It's hard to argue in that specific case, but something had to generate that electricity.  For all you know (and you don't, because it's impossible to know), but the thing that generated that electricity for the electric trains was actually less efficient and more environmentally damaging than the diesel engine.

9 minutes ago, Geonovast said:

It's hard to argue in that specific case, but something had to generate that electricity.  For all you know (and you don't, because it's impossible to know), but the thing that generated that electricity for the electric trains was actually less efficient and more environmentally damaging than the diesel engine.

Thats true, but an electric train would still work if the power came from a clean energy source, while a diesel engine can only work with a not-so-clean energy source.

Just now, kerbiloid said:

In the name of Atom!

Tschernobyl/Chernobyl, Fukushima, potential use in weaponry...

In my eyes, it's not worth it the risk. If pulled off in a 100% guaranteed safe way that could never go wrong, and no atomic weapons are built (good luck doing with that), then I might give it a go.

1 minute ago, Delay said:

Tschernobyl/Chernobyl, Fukushima, potential use in weaponry...

In my eyes, it's not worth it the risk. If pulled off in a 100% guaranteed safe way that could never go wrong, and no atomic weapons are built (good luck doing with that), then I might give it a go.

6 minutes ago, kerbiloid said:

In the name of Atom!

Coincidentally, I'm writing a mini-thesis on nuclear fission :D

1 minute ago, Delay said:

Tschernobyl/Chernobyl

Running dubious experiments in continuously changing critical modes, disabling reactor protection, ...

3 minutes ago, Delay said:

Fukushima

... as well as building emergency facilities of the nuclear plant in several meters from the sea shore with registered 20 m high tsunamies,

are not wise really suicidal decisions.

The Great Atom doesn't want to be feared, but it wishes to be respected.
Then its generosity is unbelievable.

@kerbiloid The point I was trying to make is not that atomic facilities tend to go boom.

My point was that if they go boom, the results are devastating and wide-spread, potentially affecting hundreds of millions of people who weren't expecting a thing over night.

Edited by Delay
sentence structure.

11 minutes ago, Delay said:

My point was that if they go boom, the results are devastating and wide-spread, potentially affecting hundreds of millions of people who weren't expecting a thing over night.

A lack of energy devastates them even more, though not so spectacularly.
Crops need water. Water needs pumps. Pumps need energy.
Crops need fertilizers. Chemical plants need energy.
And so on.