What funny/interesting thing happened in your life today?

Ultimate Steve

On 1/4/2017 at 11:12 PM, max_creative said:

Yep... 

Don't ask why I was searching these things... Just, don't ask... :P (feel free to ask) 

3...2...1... You're on a watchlist!

My artificial intelligence idiot teammates actually saved me in Halo 5 today. 8.5 seconds later and I'm vaporized by a binary rifle :(

343, if you're reading this for some reason, please don't do that again. Teammates don't watch teammates bleed out without trying to help them.

Edited by Fireheart318

I fixed the ethernet! Now i can finally do my online gaming and stuff.

Thanks to the Red Army Choir, i finished my homework in less than an hour. Now i won't get in trouble!

Thanks in Russian

22 hours ago, Geonovast said:

Have you tried turning it off and on again?

I tried that, but that didn't automatically setup a Powerline Adapter Network in my house unfortunately. Had to do it manually :D

Finally finished my 53-page long submission for the Ames Space Settlement Competition—over 100 hours of work in a month. The person at the post office was a little confused by "Moffett Field" (Where NASA Ames is at, which is unincorporated and separate from nearby Mountain View) but I'm sure it is fine.

Not sure what to do with my free time now that this is done... I guess it is time to get back to work in KSP! First I have to do homework (thankfully reduced, since we got snowed in).

Edited by SaturnianBlue

Got a snow day (barely any snow but a LOT of ice and slush), had 9,001 failed rocket launches (okay not that much), started fixing up the Wikipedia pages for the TRAPPIST-1 planets, and found out my foster cat wants to eat Tide Pods. 

10 hours ago, ProtoJeb21 said:

Got a snow day (barely any snow but a LOT of ice and slush)

We also got snow, but very little. It was more like a layer of dust, rather than a slushy.

Anyways, i finished half of my schoolwork today, 2 of them without even realizing i finshed it. Turns out i am way too pessimistic about my school work.

Well, it did not happen today but during the night of Friday to Saturday.

cbhNuhH.jpg

I just drove for 90 minutes to reach Orlando, and finally got the chance to have my second live ever of Marillion! 

Everything was simply amazing! If there was only a microscopic thing to complain about, it was the low number of 80's-90's songs. I don't know what I would had given to listen to Blind Curve or Out of this World in live just like the first time.

GV7pA0Y.jpg

Steve Rothery is still such an amazing player.

Friday night while I was camping I saw this really bright moving dot in the sky, even brighter than I'd seen the ISS. I put down the container I was carrying and looked up two seconds later to see it already extremely dim, and it completely vanished a second or two later. Curious, how something can go from that bright to nothing in four seconds...

1 hour ago, Ultimate Steve said:

Friday night while I was camping I saw this really bright moving dot in the sky, even brighter than I'd seen the ISS. I put down the container I was carrying and looked up two seconds later to see it already extremely dim, and it completely vanished a second or two later. Curious, how something can go from that bright to nothing in four seconds...

Sounds like an Iridium flare, they can get crazy bright but only last a second or two. For reference, Venus and the ISS reach about a -4 magnitude at their brightest, the full moon is around -12. The older Iridium satellites, due to their huge, flat, shiny antennas, can (briefly) reach around -8. :D

@cubinator Speaking of such, you sure it was a satellite and not just a meteor?

11 minutes ago, CatastrophicFailure said:

Speaking of such, you sure it was a satellite and not just a meteor?

Absolutely. They were red points, and they moved much too slowly to be meteors - I thought it was a fleet of drones or military aircraft until some of them stopped glowing. One fragment veered nearly 90 degrees, and I could see it's brightness oscillating, presumably as the thing tumbled and settled into the most aerodynamic orientation.

38 minutes ago, CatastrophicFailure said:

Sounds like an Iridium flare, they can get crazy bright but only last a second or two. For reference, Venus and the ISS reach about a -4 magnitude at their brightest, the full moon is around -12. The older Iridium satellites, due to their huge, flat, shiny antennas, can (briefly) reach around -8. :D

http://www.heavens-above.com/flaredetails.aspx?fid=7&lat=42.189&lng=-91.4614&loc=Howard+H.+Cherry+Scout+Reservation&alt=288&tz=CST

I looked it up, and apparently that was it! And according to the star map it happened right in the middle of Orion, and I remember it being in the center of a few more bright stars. I had thought it might have been an Iridium flare, but thanks for the confirmation!

2 hours ago, Ultimate Steve said:

http://www.heavens-above.com/flaredetails.aspx?fid=7&lat=42.189&lng=-91.4614&loc=Howard+H.+Cherry+Scout+Reservation&alt=288&tz=CST

I looked it up, and apparently that was it! And according to the star map it happened right in the middle of Orion, and I remember it being in the center of a few more bright stars. I had thought it might have been an Iridium flare, but thanks for the confirmation!

That website is tweaking out at the moment, I'll have to look later. As long as you're staring up at the sky, keep an eye out for Humanity Star from the first (sucessfull) Electron mission, tho prime viewing isn't for a few weeks yet. :D

Ok, technically yesterday, but I was lucky enough to attend a talk by Chris Hadfield, which was awesome :)

Hearing him talk about his experience with space and everything he'd done to get there was inspiring, and he's also got an awesome ability to take any questions and run with them.

I highly recommend attending one if you ever get the chance.

I went to have my normal Wednesday pie for lunch, and completely forgot that it's Lent. So, as our school is very religious, I can't eat meat for the next 39 days. Which means no pie for approximately 6 weeks. Yay?