What funny/interesting thing happened in your life today?

Ultimate Steve

15 hours ago, Ultimate Steve said:

I never thought I'd get to say this, but today, my crush asked me to Prom!

Im very happy for you, but im crying at the same time.

I did however spoke to a girl that i like a little, but probably doesn't like me. I told her a little bit about the Starlink thing Elon is planning, and how the launch of Paz was litterly during our history lesson.

I don't know how, why or what love is. baby don't hurt me, don't hurt me, no more.

On 20-2-2018 at 3:31 AM, cubinator said:

JPL Simulator 2019

This would be interesting.

Now including: Budget Cut gamemode!

5 minutes ago, adsii1970 said:

Had (another) faculty member call me a modern day sage. This is always a good thing, considering others who are considered as sages in the ancient Greek world!

But are you a Great Sage?

voy_falseprofits149.jpg

Edited by Geonovast

22 minutes ago, adsii1970 said:

Had (another) faculty member call me a modern day sage. This is always a good thing, considering others who are considered as sages in the ancient Greek world!

17 minutes ago, Geonovast said:

But are you a Great Sage?

As long as he’s not also the Eminate... you know... <_<

1 hour ago, monstah said:

My mom just got a tattoo. So, now, my wife's tattooed, my mom's tattooed, my dad's a skateboarder... and I'm just a nerd :B

Then of course you know... your only course is to upstage them. -_-

Today I found out that a coworker’s long-time gf was pregnant. The funny part is after that when I got to my post, plugged my phone into the stereo, and hit shuffle, the first song to play was...

Spoiler

It's been a long time since I've watched that video, wow he' had such a babyface back then (1982)

Edited by StrandedonEarth

7 minutes ago, StrandedonEarth said:

Today I found out that a coworker’s long-time gf was pregnant. The funny part is after that when I got to my post, plugged my phone into the stereo, and hit shuffle, the first song to play was...

Hide contents

White Wedding!  (I’ll post the music video here when I’m off mobile)

too funny!!!

Okay, this is a bit of a long/technical/geeky one with only a small portion relating to today, but I'll post it anyway, I guess.

A while ago, me and my sister tried to speedrun the Galacticraft mod for Minecraft. The goal was to reach the moon as fast as possible working together, and on our first attempt a few weeks ago we managed about three hours and fifty minutes, we don't know the exact amount because we forgot to stop the timer. During our next speedrun, we dropped all requirements for a return journey, including a parachute, oxygen systems, cargo capacity, as well as not building a super nice house. Our house was then a dirt/cobble hut with six chests, all labeled, which led to a staircase to the mines. This decreased our time by almost half, to one hour and forty-eight minutes.

Then, a few days later, we tried again, with a few more optimizations. We wouldn't build a nice staircase with actual steps, our base would be located at the proper mining level, and we would only be on the surface twice, once to gather food, wool, and wood, and a second time to launch to the moon. It worked well, but we got a bad spawn and had to take about fifteen minutes looking for sheep and climbing the staircase for one piece of sand we had fotgotten. However, we still improved by eight minutes, giving a time of one hour and forty minutes.

Today, however, we tried one more time, with almost no changes to the strategy of the third speedrun except for "Get lucky with the seed," "Remember the sand," and "Build a third compressor." Those small changes paid off, and our time ended up being 1:14:23 from first movement until touchdown on the lunar surface. The main bottlenecks at this point are:

• Dying (you have to go back down the staircase again)
  • Getting iron early on (it takes a while to get going, we didn't have a bucket to collect oil until about 40% of the way through)
  • Crafting items you only need once or twice (I should make a list and craft them all early on)
  • How much iron we can find (we need at least three stacks for just the GC stuff, more for armor and tools)
  • Silicon (we need six, but we were one short until the last 15-25 minutes)
  • Initially digging the staircase (solution, craft two stone picks at the beginning and don't go back up to kill animals, have the other people do that)

We are going to try again on Monday with a third person and we will attempt to get under an hour. Our planned procedure is:

• First Ten Minutes:
    • Player one punches trees to get some wood, then grabs two stone picks from player two to tunnel down to y=11. After he is down there, he will hollow out an area for a base after crafting a third pickaxe (or an iron one if he found iron). He will place a double chest, a crafting table, and at least five furnaces and create enough space for the GC machines. If possible in the time allowed, he will craft iron pickaxes for all three players, as well as buckets (although these are secondary).
    • Player two punches one tree, makes wooden pickaxe, and mines 6 cobblestone, gives Player one two stone pickaxes, mines 10 cobblestone, and makes an axe, two swords, and a pickaxe. She gives a sword and the axe to Player three, and then kills as many animals as possible. If less than six sheep are found, shears will be needed, which will be provided either by player three or player one (non-ideal). The sheep are sheared and killed, and she will find one piece of sand.
      • If 32 food, >=6 wool, and 1 sand are found, she will immediately follow Player 1 to the underground base and begin cave mining after depositing food/sand in furnace, and wool in chest (if a cave is found. Otherwise strip mine).
      • If >=6 wool, 1 sand, and some food is found but the sun sets, still do the above. We can get by with that much food.
      • If six wool are not found before the sun sets, restart with a new seed. The wool will be too much of a delay.
    • Player three will punch wood until receiving an axe from Player Two, and then will gather at least 48 wood. He will then attempt to find a surface cave with iron and make a pair of shears to shear sheep with. If no iron is found easily, he should kill animals for a bit with his sword and then follow Player One into the base, deposit his items, and begin to mine.
  • 10 to 25 Minutes (upper bound varies, if things are going well 10-20 and if things are going bad 10-30):
    • Everyone should cave mine, or strip mine until they find a cave. Gather (in order of importance) Iron, Coal, Tin, Copper, Aluminum, Tin. Gather at least six silicon, at least 20 redstone, and at least three diamonds (In general, doesn't have to be in the first 20 minutes).
    • Do not mine gold, emerald, or excess redstone, it is a waste of time.
    • If the base is located near a cave and enough iron exists, gather lava buckets to power the compressors.
    • Cook the food and give at least 10 to each player.
    • Collect a bucket of oil.
  • 25 to 30 Minutes (or less):
    • Player one crafts a bunch of small items he will forget from a list (ex. 9 redstone torches, 3 levers, 3 buttons, etc.).
    • Everyone else mines, places items in furnace, and mines some more.
  • 30 to 55 Minutes:
    • Player one crafts all of the GC stuff, wires, a circuit fabricator, three compressors (or two then another later on if iron is lacking), a refinery, a fuel loader, a NASA workbench, launch pad, and tier 1 rocket (in order). Most of this time is alternating between the compressors, the crafting bench, and the furnaces. The fuel is refined and put into a canister and the rocket components are created.
    • Players two and three keep mining at full speed, not crafting more than an iron chestplate (although if more diamonds are found they can use them for picks/armor, the rocket only requires 3) and depositing things in the furnaces.
  • 55 to 57 minutes:
    • Player one places the NASA workbench, crafts the rocket, gathers the fuel canister, wire, rocket, launch pad, fuel loader, coal, and coal generator and ascends the staircase.
    • Player two grabs a sword if she doesn't already have one and climbs the staircase.
    • Player three climbs the staircase as well.
  • 57 to 60 minutes:
    • Player one, after reaching the surface, places the launch pad, rocket, fuel loader, wire, and coal generator, loads the fuel canister and coal, and waits.
    • Player two defends the launch site from mobs if it is night.
    • Player three boards the rocket. After the rocket has begun fueling, he presses space twice. Due to the 20 second countdown, the rocket will have enough fuel in it by the time it takes off to make it to the moon. about two minutes later, he will crash into the moon and press respawn. The timer is stopped.
  • Then we party.

Yesterday my daughter used a gift card she had to buy a record player. Records are incredibly expensive ($25!), so I told her we'd stop at my storage unit on the way home, where I brought home a small subset of our vinyl (100 records?). She's been listening to old Bowie all morning.

50 minutes ago, tater said:

Yesterday my daughter used a gift card she had to buy a record player. Records are incredibly expensive ($25!), so I told her we'd stop at my storage unit on the way home, where I brought home a small subset of our vinyl (100 records?). She's been listening to old Bowie all morning.

My dad's probably got about 8000 albums at last count.  Big mix of 33 1/3, 45, and 78s.  When I was a kid, we'd go garage saling every weekend in the summer.  Almost every trip involved at least one stop that went something like this:

*Box full of albums anywhere from 20 to 200, listed at $0.50 - $2 each*
Dad: "I'll give you $5 for the whole box."
Them: "Ok."

My mom once picked up a 45 jukebox that had 100 45s in it for him for $100.  He sold one of the 45s, IIRC it was The White Album, for $125.  Dunno if he's still got the jukebox.

I've never been big on vinyl, but they do seem to be making a slow comeback.

Edited by Geonovast

The very first bank loan I ever had was for stereo components. Most of it was Pioneer - that was pretty much the name in home equipment at the time. I haven't even seen components in years. The loss of sound quality today doesn't seem to bother anyone but us old guys - and yes all my stuff has been ripped to play on my computer or phone.

2 hours ago, Red Shirt said:

The very first bank loan I ever had was for stereo components. Most of it was Pioneer - that was pretty much the name in home equipment at the time. I haven't even seen components in years. The loss of sound quality today doesn't seem to bother anyone but us old guys - and yes all my stuff has been ripped to play on my computer or phone.

Hey... Lets not genersalise :P

I spent (too much) money on a very nice 7.1 system for my computer - which I guess is also my TV only it plays what I want, when I want, without commercials. You wouldn't believe how good KSP sounds on it :D

Oh yeah, and actually it was yesterday and I completely forgot to post it here:

Spoiler

2sbmyk6.jpg

Visited a space museum

Edited by Antstar
forgot to be on topic

On 3/1/2018 at 10:13 PM, munlander1 said:

Starting a falcon 9 model out of foam board. I'll start documenting it as I mostly did a lot of math and started with a basic template cut out of graph paper tonight. Might make a post in the lounge if it develops.

Would love to see! Good luck. I started a Starfighter. Never got beyond the fuselage frame...

In other news, that storm blacked out my school. I wasn't there. I had a DC trip instead. Sunny weather with some wind.

Im working on putting all my Moon images together in one image, so i have one entire map of the Moon made 100% by myself. Im having a surprising lack of images revealing the Eastern hemisphere of the Moon though.