What funny/interesting thing happened in your life today?

Ultimate Steve

Dove into my first attempt at renewable energy. Bought two 40 Watt Solar Panels for the RV.
Might pick up 2 more (they're on a clearance at Canadian Tire). 

That is all for now.

I took a 3 hour nap, my first nap since i was a toddler or something. I didn't feel good after i took that nap, i turned into a teenager. The worst thing that could happend.

1 hour ago, NSEP said:

I took a 3 hour nap, my first nap since i was a toddler or something. I didn't feel good after i took that nap, i turned into a teenager. The worst thing that could happend.

It's the best halloween costume.

3 hours ago, NSEP said:

Life is cyclical. Just wait till you’re old like me and look forward to those naps. -_-

Today was citywide garage sale day, and I bought five things, a 25c Xylophone, a free mini etch-a-sketch keychain, a 25c board game, a $5 perplexus...

...and a $5 telescope which is probably in the same general power range as my current telescope. It's really dirty, but besides that, it is in working condition. Even if it is less powerful than my current telescope, it looks 5x cooler than my current one, comes with a stand, and really, you can't get any sort of telescope for $5.

So that's probably the best thing I've ever found on any annual garage sale day.

12 minutes ago, Ultimate Steve said:

Today was citywide garage sale day, and I bought five things, a 25c Xylophone, a free mini etch-a-sketch keychain, a 25c board game, a $5 perplexus...

...and a $5 telescope which is probably in the same general power range as my current telescope. It's really dirty, but besides that, it is in working condition. Even if it is less powerful than my current telescope, it looks 5x cooler than my current one, comes with a stand, and really, you can't get any sort of telescope for $5.

So that's probably the best thing I've ever found on any annual garage sale day.

Now attach the telescope to one of those rockets you want to build... :wink:

31 minutes ago, CatastrophicFailure said:

Now attach the telescope to one of those rockets you want to build... :wink:

I was originally planning on a low concentration HTP monopropellant thruster because it's the closest thing to being legal. Getting that telescope into orbit will require something exceedingly large... I have just the thing.

*digs around to find notebook*

wiROF1z.jpg

Spoiler

Some pages, 1/4 to 1/3 of them:

SaQnp48.jpg

r5VN47x.jpg

b9KNplC.jpg

VvrpwOf.jpg

7dDDtFz.jpg

LH0n9rF.jpg

Delta-V calculations:

aXFKA4S.png

Large scale wall component intergrity tests 1-2 and RCS system 1:1 scale model:

IUlLvBz.jpg

First plans for the capsule:

6S99uDJ.jpg

Capsule detail and rocket layout at bottom:

Orl1gHY.jpg

1:1 control panel layout diagram:

DbmZGB0.jpg

1/10th scale capsule, LES, and OPP mockup, radiators not shown:

DBsZDR2.jpg

Deteriorating 1/10th scale booster mockup:

TBgYQ8S.jpg

Secondary payload:

bQmyvrx.jpg

2 hours ago, Ultimate Steve said:

*digs around to find notebook*

:blink:

Ok, we seriously need to get you to a rocket club, for their sake. Before you become a jaded, disillusioned Bond villain and start mumbling about making them all pay...

Have you tried this?

https://www.rocketreviews.com/rocketry-clubs.html

or maybe this?

https://www.nar.org/find-a-local-club/nar-club-locator/

Today, well, yesterday, we found out just how grumpy our beehive can get. Horrible weather to be opening the hive, cold, cloudy, damp. That means nearly all of the bees were inside instead of out foraging, with nothing better to do than get all up in my business. As soon as we took the cover off the bees started poking their butts up and buzzing. When I reached in with the frame holder, a half dozen bees just shot to it like BB’s to a magnet, it was trippy as heck. Then they started charging at our faces. Only managed to get one frame out:

KeuiRB0.jpg

We just added a second (empty) brood box last week, so that’s really good comb drawing they’ve done, but the fact that it’s empty means they haven’t been able to get out foraging cuz of the weather. So we decided to just top off the feeder and leave them alone for now. 

uzQqdFz.jpg

Edited by CatastrophicFailure

I decided to start writing my own theme song. It would be a four movement suite, with each movement composed after completing a step in my grand plan. Since I've completed Step 1, I'm writing the first movement. The final movement will hopefully be written from my cabin inside a spaceship.

*in voice of Oprah Winfrey*

6 DAY WEEKEEEEEEEEEEEND!!

tumblr_n4mw33I4Sg1qmqy5mo1_500.gif

EDIT: lol I didnt see that caption on the gif before I posted

On 6/12/2018 at 5:24 AM, SiriusRocketry said:

Talked to my friend about music- he's a total EDM purist and doesn't usually like any other music, let alone talk about it.

He's weird.

I love the way that "EDM" is treated like a niche thing like it hasnt been around for 3 decades and spawned basically every other electronic genre...

..tell him if he isnt listening to Orbital, he knows nothing and should go home.

...and if you really wean to outfreak him, ask him how many Kraftwerk vinyls he owns.

Edited by p1t1o

11 minutes ago, p1t1o said:

*in voice of Oprah Winfrey*

6 DAY WEEKEEEEEEEEEEEND!!

tumblr_n4mw33I4Sg1qmqy5mo1_500.gif

EDIT: lol I didnt see that caption on the gif before I posted

I love the way that "EDM" is treated like a niche thing like it hasnt been around for 3 decades and spawned basically every other electronic genre...

..tell him if he isnt listening to Orbital, he knows nothing and should go home.

...and if you really wean to outfreak him, ask him how many Kraftwerk vinyls he owns.

Orbital? 

Kraftwerk?

WipEout. WipEout is the shnizzle and will always BE the shnizzle. P.E.T.R.O.L from 1995 will always be my favorite.

1 hour ago, SiriusRocketry said:

Orbital? 

Kraftwerk?

WipEout. WipEout is the shnizzle and will always BE the shnizzle. P.E.T.R.O.L from 1995 will always be my favorite.

Dude, P.E.T.R.O.L *is* Orbital :D

10 minutes ago, Geonovast said:

Yesterday I purchased a vinyl album for the first time ever in my life.

Do all record stores have to smell like incense?

My dad's into old music so much that he bought a vinyl album just for the cover (he doesn't actually have a record player) :P

25 minutes ago, RealKerbal3x said:

My dad's into old music so much that he bought a vinyl album just for the cover (he doesn't actually have a record player) :P

This was actually a brand new one, released May 28th.  I don't have record player either, it's a gift for my brother.

My dad used to pick up vinyl by the box at garage sales.  I think he had about 8000 records when I moved out.

Edited by Geonovast

Just now, Geonovast said:

This was actually a brand new one, released May 28th.  I don't have record player either, it's a gift.

I suppose it doesn't really matter how old the record is to some people, it's just that it's a old-style record and the design on the cover is a justifiable reason to buy it :)

On 6/11/2018 at 4:44 PM, CatastrophicFailure said:

Today, well, yesterday, we found out just how grumpy our beehive can get.

Don't you use smoke (or sugar water misting) to calm them first?

In my world,
I became a grandpa (Babua) again yesterday! :wub:

I found out that you can comfortably house around 9 billion people in a 40km box building, and if we fit half of all Earths land area with these things, and that we could house something like 17 quadrillion people on Earth.

I think i have gone full on midnight crazy again with my absolutely bogus ideas!

58 minutes ago, NSEP said:

I found out that you can comfortably house around 9 billion people in a 40km box building, and if we fit half of all Earths land area with these things, and that we could house something like 17 quadrillion people on Earth.

And then you just have to figure out a way to feed them all.