What funny/interesting thing happened in your life today?

Ultimate Steve

4 hours ago, CatastrophicFailure said:

We’ve been trying to avoid it up til now, but cold crummy weather usually makes for cranky bees even with smoking. 

What about the sugar water method? I've never seen it used, but in reading the claim is that it's better for the bees. I'll have to shoot my cousin an email and ask him, he was bee keeping for a while (business).

14 hours ago, NSEP said:

I found out that you can comfortably house around 9 billion people in a 40km box building, and if we fit half of all Earths land area with these things, and that we could house something like 17 quadrillion people on Earth.

And they can warm the whol place with their bodies.

Spoiler

Free_yourself_from_the_Matrix!.jpg

The service bots can utilize the heat waste and keep the place safe and comfortable.

13 hours ago, LordFerret said:

What about the sugar water method? I've never seen it used, but in reading the claim is that it's better for the bees. I'll have to shoot my cousin an email and ask him, he was bee keeping for a while (business).

We used sugar water when we first installed the package, but up until the other day we really hadn’t needed anything. Our gals have always been real docile, except for this one bee who really doesn’t like me and constantly headbutts me working the hive. Apparently she’s recently graduated to Forager, too, since she came after me once when I wasn’t anywhere near the hive. :/

I found a wasp on my window today. This is the second time in a few days there's been a wasp in that spot, so I may have an issue...I don't know how they got into the house, but luckily I could just open the window and let them out right there. 

58 minutes ago, cubinator said:

I found a wasp on my window today. This is the second time in a few days there's been a wasp in that spot, so I may have an issue...I don't know how they got into the house, but luckily I could just open the window and let them out right there. 

Have a look outside the window up at the roofline, that’s where they like to build nests. 

Had to deal with a book rep today. She wanted to convince me to change to her company's foreign policy textbook. After listening to her presentation for twenty minutes, I asked her a few quedtions:

• Why should I change textbooks and adopt yours? My students are already paying $78.00 for the main book and $43 for the primary source documents book?
    • Her answer was that her books would actually save my students money. The main textbook would only be $108 and the primary source documents are on-line.
    • Then she proceeded to tell me that students would have to pay a one-time online access fee of $35 to access the documents.
    • Her math does not support her claim. Students pay $121 for both books I use, brand new. They can buy used copies for as little as $65 for BOTH books.
    • Students sell both books back. This past semester, many students were able to sell both books for $45. The resell value for the main textbook for hers is only $48; the on-line fee is not returned when the semester is over.
  • I then asked her what made her books so much better than the books I am using... Here's what she used as her selling points...
    • Hers has a full analysis of the Trump administration's foreign policy (this is something that can never be done accurately and without bias at least ten years after a president leaves office regardless of what party the president belongs to).
    • Hers highlights the problems with the American Constitution and how it prevents, to the detriment of the planet, a worldwide government which would have the authority to regulate human population growth, industry, and economy. Only a global government would be able to stop the damage to the planet caused by humans.
    • Right now, the ONLY recent president we can evaluate the success or failure of their foreign policy is President William "Bill" Clinton. There's too much still-classified documents for George W. Bush and Barack H. Obama's administration. Maybe in 20 years, we will be able to talk about the totality of both former president's foreign policy. Right now, all analysis is speculation on what's known, which may not exactly be completely accurate.
  • I asked her if she believed that the students should be allowed to make up their own minds about the successes and failures of American foreign policy and simply be presented with the facts. Her answer astounded me.
    • College students don't have the right to have their own opinion, this is what causes the world's problems today. In higher education I am supposed to know the  importance of teaching students what  to think. 
    • I do not care what your political affiliation is; to claim one view is the ONLY CORRECT view is a very dangerous thing. It never works out too well.

When I told her I was not interested in adopting her publisher's books, she immediately wanted to talk to my department chair to see if I could not be "convinced" to adopt her publisher's "superior" textbook. No worries, my department chair backed me up. I've had the complete freedom to choose what books I use in each of my classes for the last 15 years, no need to change that now. :D

Edited by adsii1970

2 minutes ago, adsii1970 said:

Had to deal with a book rep today. She wanted to convince me to change to her company's foreign policy textbook. After listening to her presentation for twenty minutes, I asked her a few quedtions:

• Why should I change textbooks and adopt yours? My students are already paying $78.00 for the main book and $43 for the primary source documents book?
    • Her answer was that her books would actually save my students money. The main textbook would only be $108 and the primary source documents are on-line.
    • Then she proceeded to tell me that students would have to pay a one-time online access fee of $35 to access the documents.
  • I then asked her what made her books so much better than the books I am using... Here's what she used as her selling points...
    • Hers has a full analysis of the Trump administration's foreign policy (this is something that can never be done accurately and without bias at least ten years after a president leaves office regardless of what party the president belongs to).
    • Hers highlights the problems with the American Constitution and how it prevents, to the detriment of the planet, a worldwide government which would have the authority to regulate human population growth, industry, and economy. Only a global government would be able to stop the damage to the planet caused by humans.
  •  I asked her if she believed that the students should be allowed to make up their own minds about the successes and failures of American foreign policy and simply be presented with the facts. Her answer astounded me.
    • College students don't have the right to have their own opinion, this is what causes the world's problems today. In higher education I am supposed to know the  importance of teaching students what  to think. 

When I told her I was not interested in adopting her publisher's books, she immediately wanted to talk to my department chair to see if I could not be "convinced" to adopt her publisher's "superior" textbook. No worries, my department chair backed me up. I've had the complete freedom to choose what books I use in each of my classes for the last 15 years, no need to change that now. :D

Faith in humanity -1

2 hours ago, CatastrophicFailure said:

Have a look outside the window up at the roofline, that’s where they like to build nests. 

A quick look outside didn't reveal anything. Also the window is right at ground level (that floor is partially below ground). I checked for openings along the window edge, and I can see how jumping spiders got in, but not a wasp.

I was cycling this morning for exercise, humming the song as my bicycle moves on the empty street (it's holiday anyway), then as the road gets inclined down, I released the pedal, and let the gravity pull me alongside the road. I feel a breeze of wind on my face, I yell in excitement, with my eyes slightly closed... Until I realized that my head almost hit a street sign. Had I didn't evade it quickly, my cycling exercise is surely gonna leave a mark

7 hours ago, adsii1970 said:

and the primary source documents are on-line

... and can be printed at home.

6 hours ago, adsii1970 said:

a global government would be able to stop the damage to the planet caused by humans.

So young, so naive...

Even they couldn't.

6 hours ago, adsii1970 said:

many students were able to sell both books for $45.

Don't they draw in the books?
If yes - it would cost more than a brand new one, as it's culturally more significant.

Someone called my drawings stick figures ;.;, help me, im extremely sad now, im never going to draw ever again.

/s

12 hours ago, adsii1970 said:

Hers highlights the problems with the American Constitution and how it prevents, to the detriment of the planet, a worldwide government which would have the authority to regulate human population growth, industry, and economy. Only a global government would be able to stop the damage to the planet caused by humans.

Hmmm, sounds familiar. A world government that has control over everything, the population, industry, economy, your opinion...

illuminati

Illuminati Confirmed.

6 hours ago, kerbiloid said:

.. and can be printed at home.

Which still costs the student more money. At least buying it in book form, with the book I am already using, there's no *hidden* fees. But if I did use their "online" platform, students would have to pay to access it and then would have more cost as they print it. Unfortunately printer ink/toner isn't free. Oh, and neither is paper. This online product simply isn't cost effective for the student - which is one of the reasons it takes me so long to replace course textbooks when I do decide it' time. I want to make sure the student gets the best deal.

Even they couldn't.

Yup. Even if you did remove humans from the planet, the world would still have significant climate change.

Don't they draw in the books?
If yes - it would cost more than a brand new one, as it's culturally more significant.

Hehehe, I like your way of thinking. In a Latin textbook, I found a gem that has stuck with me since the undergraduate program:

Latin is a dead language,
As dead as can be.
First it killed the Romans,
And now it's killing me...

Edited by adsii1970

So today our buddy Bruce showed up for a visit...

Bruce is a Wood Stork:

X5KeiJG.jpg

Bruce stands about a meter tall, and is just about the craziest bird ever! For the last several years he's been visiting, but only 1 or 2 days a year... and I kid you not, he will walk right up to the front door and knock!!! I will try and get a video of it next time... he knocks on the door with his dagger-beak, and expects someone (me) to come out and feed him a couple hot dogs...  :D

Yup... Wood Storks love hot dogs. I'll break off pieces maybe 1 or 2 inch and either toss them to him, which he catches in mid-air... pretty cool to watch... or hold them and he'll take them out of my hand. You just have to be careful, that beak is razor sharp, and could really hurt someone if he wanted... But he's super tame, obviously... You can see how close he was when I took that pic... 

The funny thing, again, is his memory is stunning, and he always finds his way back, expecting a hot-dog treat... and he's been doing it for years and years... I honestly don't remember when he first showed up. And it makes me wonder, if this behavior is normal, perhaps this is where the "Storks deliver babies?" myth originated from? They say all myths and folklore and all that has a basis in fact, and I can say, for an absolute fact, Storks really do show up at houses where they remember getting food... maybe there's the real origin? 

Anyway, it was fun getting a visit from him... he's a riot to feed and always welcome.

So, I saw The Incredibles 2 today... and it was certainly Incredible!

But the main thing is, I tested that $5 telescope I got at a garage sale. It only came with one eyepiece, a 12.5mm one. And I pointed it at the Moon, but I just couldn't get it to focus... and then I realized that there was another tube that was preventing the focus from going in far enough (now that I look at it it seems to be a 3x Barlow lens!) so I took it out, and it focused fine. By that time, though, the moon had set, so I pointed it at Jupiter instead.

And WOW. Biggest Jupiter I've ever seen. Unfortunately, it was an out of focus blob at best, BUT it was a BIG out of focus blob! I'll take a big out of focus blob any day over a small in focus point of light (my old telescope). So, except for the focus issues (which *might* be solvable, I don't know much about telescopes, though) it's way better than my current scope.

But, the one eyepiece that came with it is an 0.965 eyepiece, the other ones I have are 1.25, so they won't fit. I've been looking online and I don't want to drop a huge chunk of change on an eyepiece or two. Going the extreme cheapo route, I can get a $6 adapter but risk not being able to focus with the new lenses at all (the thing barely focuses already even with the focus all the way in) or I can get a super cheap (and probably very low quality) set of lenses for $15 from China.

And I just realized my huge derp. I just looked up how to properly clean telescope optics and I basically did everything it said not to do when I cleaned it. :P Like using wet Kleenex. Which might explain the focus issues. Oh well... still cool, although I may have accidentally ruined it.

Now, Saturn should be decently high in the sky by now, I'm going to go have a look.

@Ultimate Steve If it’s really old, and slightly abused, it might need to be adjusted as well. I forget the proper term, and I’m a little fuzzy on the details, but telescopes need to have the tune/lenses adjusted periodically, takes some special tools & knowhow. Google prolly your friend, there. 

9 hours ago, Ultimate Steve said:

And I just realized my huge derp. I just looked up how to properly clean telescope optics and I basically did everything it said not to do when I cleaned it. :P Like using wet Kleenex. Which might explain the focus issues. Oh well... still cool, although I may have accidentally ruined it.

No, you haven't. You've just left a film on the lenses. There are a few ways you can go about to remove it, but I will tell you one that I use and have had great success. Go to any optometrist's shop where they actually do the lenses. Buy some of the spray-on non aerosol eyeglass lens cleaner and a few of those ultra soft cloth wipes you use for glasses. It will allow you to keep the lenses clean and keep the residue off them.

It has worked for me for nearly 25 years. May it do the same for you.

15 hours ago, CatastrophicFailure said:

This is kind of awesome. :D

...and practically begs for an Emiko cameo...;)

11 hours ago, adsii1970 said:

I agree!

OK, this morning I woke up and discovered a couple people apparently want me to add another nibling into Emiko Station... lol...

I hadn't really thought about it one way or the other, but I'm not entirely opposed to the idea. The only thing is we should continue this discussion on the Emiko thread, so we don't de-rail this one.

10 hours ago, Ultimate Steve said:

But the main thing is, I tested that $5 telescope I got at a garage sale....

8 hours ago, CatastrophicFailure said:

@Ultimate Steve If it’s really old, and slightly abused, it might need to be adjusted as well. I forget the proper term, and I’m a little fuzzy on the details, but telescopes need to have the tune/lenses adjusted periodically, takes some special tools & knowhow. Google prolly your friend, there. 

A while back I "inherited" a really nice Manon 7 x 50 binoculars from this guy I knew up north because they were (quote) "cross-eyed". And they were, for lack of a better term. He was going to throw them out, but I took them before he could. I called a camera shop that said they'd take a look, and sure enough, one of the lenses was jarred slightly out of place. Took them maybe 15 minutes at the most to fix, and they only charged me $20.00, or something like that. 

Now granted, it's a telescope, not binoculars, but I'm guessing it's what @CatastrophicFailure said, and like my binoculars, it might just need the lens(s) adjusted a little.

Edited by Just Jim