What funny/interesting thing happened in your life today?

Ultimate Steve

On 6/15/2018 at 5:52 PM, adsii1970 said:

Had to deal with a book rep today. She wanted to convince me to change to her company's foreign policy textbook. After listening to her presentation for twenty minutes, I asked her a few quedtions:

• Why should I change textbooks and adopt yours? My students are already paying $78.00 for the main book and $43 for the primary source documents book?
    • Her answer was that her books would actually save my students money. The main textbook would only be $108 and the primary source documents are on-line.
    • Then she proceeded to tell me that students would have to pay a one-time online access fee of $35 to access the documents.
    • Her math does not support her claim. Students pay $121 for both books I use, brand new. They can buy used copies for as little as $65 for BOTH books.
    • Students sell both books back. This past semester, many students were able to sell both books for $45. The resell value for the main textbook for hers is only $48; the on-line fee is not returned when the semester is over.
  • I then asked her what made her books so much better than the books I am using... Here's what she used as her selling points...
    • Hers has a full analysis of the Trump administration's foreign policy (this is something that can never be done accurately and without bias at least ten years after a president leaves office regardless of what party the president belongs to).
    • Hers highlights the problems with the American Constitution and how it prevents, to the detriment of the planet, a worldwide government which would have the authority to regulate human population growth, industry, and economy. Only a global government would be able to stop the damage to the planet caused by humans.
    • Right now, the ONLY recent president we can evaluate the success or failure of their foreign policy is President William "Bill" Clinton. There's too much still-classified documents for George W. Bush and Barack H. Obama's administration. Maybe in 20 years, we will be able to talk about the totality of both former president's foreign policy. Right now, all analysis is speculation on what's known, which may not exactly be completely accurate.
  • I asked her if she believed that the students should be allowed to make up their own minds about the successes and failures of American foreign policy and simply be presented with the facts. Her answer astounded me.
    • College students don't have the right to have their own opinion, this is what causes the world's problems today. In higher education I am supposed to know the  importance of teaching students what  to think. 
    • I do not care what your political affiliation is; to claim one view is the ONLY CORRECT view is a very dangerous thing. It never works out too well.

When I told her I was not interested in adopting her publisher's books, she immediately wanted to talk to my department chair to see if I could not be "convinced" to adopt her publisher's "superior" textbook. No worries, my department chair backed me up. I've had the complete freedom to choose what books I use in each of my classes for the last 15 years, no need to change that now. :D

This, made my day. Thank you. I am sharing this with the educators in my family.

On 6/16/2018 at 5:42 PM, Just Jim said:

Bruce is a - Stork:

... it was fun getting a visit from him...

Umm..... are you trying to tell us something, without telling us something?!? ^_^

Got two tours of friends’ shops today. One a movie special effects (physical) shop, and another that makes osteological models. Excellent day, even got to wear Wolverine’s adamantium claws. Think the kids had fun as well.

Fun.

The internet connection started to shut on and off for no reason a few months ago, and now it works again for no reason.

Odd. I had to change the speed to a painfull 10Mbps, but now it works fine at 100Mbps again.

33 minutes ago, cubinator said:

Two nights ago I saw a bunch of fireflies blinking while I was watching Io transit Jupiter.

My wife and kids got to see fireflies for the first time when we were in Kentucky. It was like I got to see them for the first time all over again. :)

Today I finally managed to get my telescope out while the moon wasn't obstructed. And wow, I need to *properly* clean the optics, but the level of detail I was able to discern on the moon was incredible. I was able to get it so far in that I couldn't even see an edge! I was then going to point it at Jupiter but then the bugs started attacking me.

I also learned that I need to get one of those moon filter things, my right eye still feels a bit off.

On 6/22/2018 at 8:36 PM, StrandedonEarth said:

We got SWATted yesterday. It was on the news today

Wait, this actually happens? I thought this was just a myth. I'm gonna stop messing with the Low Orbit Ion Cannon just in case now...

1 hour ago, Kernel Kraken said:

Wait, this actually happens? I thought this was just a myth. I'm gonna stop messing with the Low Orbit Ion Cannon just in case now...

Unfortunately its not a myth. Im not sure how frequently it happends, but i do know that it is a harassment tactic that has been used fairly often on people subject to trolls like 'living memes'. There are many ways people can harass other people online but swatting is by far one of the worst.

As for funny/interesting things that happend in my life today, well, i contributed to a few twitter drawing challenges, and we finally bought soda after a whole damn week. All there was to drink was water and tea.

got the boat from last summer out. maidening it hopefully tomorrow in a canal nearby.

Wasn't perfectly unharmed by several months of storage - we had rested it upside down on a 1/8 inch plywood part of the skin. It was kinda wrinkled and delaminated. Nothing unfixable though.

Two little known facts about Florida...

One: Fireworks are completely legal, including some seriously hardcore stuff..

Two: Floridians are incredibly impatient, and if you think they're waiting until the 4th to blow stuff off... yeah right... it's been going on out there for over an hour now!!!  :rolleyes:

51 minutes ago, Just Jim said:

Two: Floridians are incredibly impatient, and if you think they're waiting until the 4th to blow stuff off... yeah right... it's been going on out there for over an hour now!!!  :rolleyes:

Well, yeah, it's Florida. It's so wet you couldn't set the state on fire on purpose. Meanwhile, in our town, not only are fireworks illegal, but the fire risk is so high they're cancelling the city's fireworks display too. :mad:

1 hour ago, Just Jim said:

I've heard some go off here as well...

15 hours ago, Just Jim said:

Scare- The- Living- Daylights- Out- Of- Your- Dog- Day celebrations have been going on here for a few days, at least the explosion parts have been. It's chaotic. And we've had tons of thunderstorms recently o we can't tell if it's actually fireworks or lightning :p