What funny/interesting thing happened in your life today?

Ultimate Steve

18 hours ago, Just Jim said:

Floridians are incredibly impatient, and if you think they're waiting until the 4th to blow stuff off... yeah right... it's been going on out there for over an hour now!!!

Where I live is outside of any city limits, and the county has no laws against fireworks.

Be happy that people wait until near the 4th to set off fireworks.  Around here, they randomly go off throughout the year.

19 hours ago, Just Jim said:

Two little known facts about Florida...

One: Fireworks are completely legal, including some seriously hardcore stuff..

Two: Floridians are incredibly impatient, and if you think they're waiting until the 4th to blow stuff off... yeah right... it's been going on out there for over an hour now!!!  :rolleyes:

In the UK our fireworks celebration (aside from new year) is Guy Fawkes night on Nov 5th. Fireworks are usually on sale in supermarkets by middle of October, and start going off basically the moment they're available. Sometimes at 2 in the afternoon, sometimes at 2 in the morning. There is no reason to it, especially the daylight ones, but that doesn't seem to deter people from doing it. Once someone (seemingly by accident) set off an entire box in the park across the road from my house and a huge column of multicoloured fire went up while the owners picked themselves up off the grass nearby. They looked a bit scorched and I got a good laugh out of it despite being woken up :)

I think we do have limits on the size of fireworks that can be sold, and there's a lot of calls to completely ban them in shops because of this kind of behaviour...

(Also I sometimes wonder why we celebrate failing to blow up the houses of parliament...)

Oh, interesting thing... I finally swapped my AMD Ryzen for an Intel 8700K and overclocked it to 5ghz. It's um... quite a bit quicker at KSP. I was getting 12.5 "internal fps" on a particular flight, and now it bounces 30-45. That's more improvement than I expected. Yellow clock begone! :o 

I did the Drawthisinyourstyle twitter challenge, lots of fun and a lot of happy faces.

I also watched Salyut 7 today. Amazing movie, i loved it 9/10, would recommend. The last scene though, im not going to spoil it, but its hilariously scientifically inaccurate.

9 hours ago, eddiew said:

In the UK our fireworks celebration (aside from new year) is Guy Fawkes night on Nov 5th. Fireworks are usually on sale in supermarkets by middle of October, and start going off basically the moment they're available. Sometimes at 2 in the afternoon, sometimes at 2 in the morning. There is no reason to it, especially the daylight ones, but that doesn't seem to deter people from doing it. Once someone (seemingly by accident) set off an entire box in the park across the road from my house and a huge column of multicoloured fire went up while the owners picked themselves up off the grass nearby. They looked a bit scorched and I got a good laugh out of it despite being woken up :)

I think we do have limits on the size of fireworks that can be sold, and there's a lot of calls to completely ban them in shops because of this kind of behaviour...

(Also I sometimes wonder why we celebrate failing to blow up the houses of parliament...)

Oh, interesting thing... I finally swapped my AMD Ryzen for an Intel 8700K and overclocked it to 5ghz. It's um... quite a bit quicker at KSP. I was getting 12.5 "internal fps" on a particular flight, and now it bounces 30-45. That's more improvement than I expected. Yellow clock begone! :o 

Hm, yeah, why do we celebrate failing to blow up a building? Weird.

Also fellow Briton here, hello! :)

3 hours ago, RealKerbal3x said:

Hm, yeah, why do we celebrate failing to blow up a building? Weird.

Also fellow Briton here, hello! :)

V for Vendetta had a point imo. We should demolish that thing, it's just a status symbol for all the old-money millionaires who work in it. Should make them work in something the council built :D 

1 hour ago, eddiew said:

V for Vendetta had a point imo. We should demolish that thing, it's just a status symbol for all the old-money millionaires who work in it. Should make them work in something the council built :D 

They should keep the old Houses of Parliament as a tourist attraction or something and then build a more modern one.

15 hours ago, eddiew said:

Nah its never really gone. The only effect when you upgrade is to stick on more parts to your ships. yellow clock will rise again

2 hours ago, RealKerbal3x said:

They should keep the old Houses of Parliament as a tourist attraction or something and then build a more modern one.

They could turn it into one of those indoor street-food places, maybe have a waterslide going around the edge :D   Or maybe just a posh hotel.

Either way the modern building should be made by the local council; lots of concrete and those nice plastic chairs you get in schools.

26 minutes ago, qzgy said:

Nah its never really gone. The only effect when you upgrade is to stick on more parts to your ships. yellow clock will rise again

Or put Scatterer back in... although I'm not 100% sure whether that's CPU or GPU loading.

4 minutes ago, eddiew said:

Or put Scatterer back in... although I'm not 100% sure whether that's CPU or GPU loading.

I would suspect GPU loading... After all its just a pretty visual thingy not a physics thing.

4 hours ago, qzgy said:

I would suspect GPU loading... After all its just a pretty visual thingy not a physics thing.

Turns out it is... KSP goes from ~30% GPU load to 100% with Scatterer xD

I was on my way to one of my classes today, and there wasn't anyone in the immediate area. This particular campus is very condensed. All the buildings are connected by walkways and stairs, and the third floor covers all of it. There are concrete walkways, electrical conduits, and structural supports all over the place. I think it looks futuristic, and, looking around, it suddenly all reminded me of a dream I had, where I was inside an empty spaceship. It was all very surreal, but I can finally "put my finger on" that particular dream.

Today Yesterday was interesting, finally got to see a new bee emerging!

YOC3FF0.png

Yet another drone who will do absolutely nothing useful during his short life of sloth and debauchery. :rolleyes:

[more melittological crap follows]

Spoiler

Added the honey super to our hive (the box on top):

LgsozMd.jpg

Now to see if we'll actually harvest anything from a first-year colony.

Comb with a view:

xWhGjny.jpg

Finished setup (they were rather annoyed at having their home rearranged yet again):

NlE4A49.jpg

Also, found the girls had been busy on Fuchsiazilla, here: 

vBchtKE.jpg

Apparently, they make fruit...

xrHUMVP.jpg

Now, to find an unwitting victim willing volunteer to try some...

Today was... neither funny, nor interesting, :mad: and was basically 15 hours of sitting in traffic (for which I was only paid for 8ish <_<).

The other day I learned about a new speedcubing method that could allow me to get significantly faster (Roux). It's essentially three steps instead of four, so I think if I learn it well I could bring my times down a lot. Maybe I can even start seeing sub-10 second solves commonly...

15 hours ago, qzgy said:

*raises hand slowly*

Sadly, the interwebz tell me fuchsia berries don’t keep, so anything you’d receive would likely be highly fermented, thereby placing me in violation of some law about contraband and state lines. :D Or possibly international borders.

9 hours ago, cubinator said:

The other day I learned about a new speedcubing method that could allow me to get significantly faster (Roux)

Don't forget to take into account relativistic factor, when approaching to the light speed.

3 hours ago, CatastrophicFailure said:

Sadly, the interwebz tell me fuchsia berries don’t keep, so anything you’d receive would likely be highly fermented, thereby placing me in violation of some law about contraband and state lines. :D Or possibly international borders.

Ah pity. Does these interwebz you speak of also say how they taste?

Also for note, unless you live outside the US, would probably be state borders (unless you live in NJ) 

Back at the family home for a short stay, I had no choice but to get back to the good ol' manual transmission. Some apprehension after nearly five years driving full-auto then CVT, but the good old Peugeot 307 of 2002 and her terrible 1.6 spared me. Just some shifts a little rough but nothing terrible, until I go home where many were waiting for me on the parking lot... just to stall the engine in front of everybody!

Anyway, a birthday present was waiting for me: they offer me a one hour trip in Honda S2000, one of my favorite cars! I will never forget the sensations behind the wheel of this little gem, so reactive and nervous. The small local country roads add a good touch with their constant turns and relief.

It's not what's happened, but what's about to happen in the next couple hours, that could get a little interesting. As many of you know, I live in Florida, and fireworks are not just legal, they've been popping off for days... and tonight is the 4th.

Now here's the interesting part... there's a big line of Thunderstorms heading this way, and I'll be logging off in a few minutes before it hits.

And it's going to be really interesting to see if anyone holds back on the fireworks tonight, or everyone just goes ahead and starts blasting despite the rain!  :D

Yeah... update on my last post. I was so totally wrong... lol... The rain cleared out, and it's cooled off, and everything is soaked... and even though the sun hasn't set, I've already heard a couple massive mortars going off a couple streets over... Tonight is gonna get LOUD... :confused:

On 7/3/2018 at 2:37 AM, CatastrophicFailure said:

finally got to see a new bee emerging!

Forgot to mention my cousin did get back to me; 'Forget the sweet treats; Smoke the stand-up guys' was pretty much the answer. His news was more about his dismay on learning that his budding business (product) needed all kinds of certifications (FDA) and caloric labeling, and other such nonsense.

Edit:
You can thank the moronic word filter for "stand-up guys". You know that's not what I wrote. <_<

Edited by LordFerret
clarification

On 7/1/2018 at 3:02 PM, razark said:

Where I live is outside of any city limits, and the county has no laws against fireworks.

And now my neighborhood sounds and smells like a Civil War recreation.