What funny/interesting thing happened in your life today?

Ultimate Steve

1 hour ago, p1t1o said:

I fricken' LOVE Dune

Taste is a weird thing though, David Lynch hates his creation, but Frank Herbert thought the movie was an almost perfect representation.

1 hour ago, TheSaint said:

I liked the miniseries better, although it still had its faults.

IMO, they both had good and bad points, but I much preferred the mini-series to the Lynch movie.

As for something funny or interesting... I've got a good one. Princess Navi-Bug discovered my lap.... and overnight has become the biggest lap cat ever!!!

j7JJoP1.jpg

1 minute ago, p1t1o said:

Im aware of the controvercy and junk, but to a 14 year old in 1997, it was awesome.

I could see that, I suppose, but having read it first, I hated it... more than I can verbalize. I liked nothing about it. Sadly, I watched it with my friend who worked on it (I saw a bunch of the bugs in his shop when I was recently in LA).

From the "I kid you not" file...

Today, for my U.S. history since 1865 class, I has a rather unique experience. This is the last week of the summer semester, today being the first of two lectures this week. I actually had a student tell me today she was not going to do the exam or turn in the remaining assignments. She's leaving tomorrow morning on a week long cruise in the Caribbean.

I explained that she only had a few days left of the course and the final exams and discussion questions were not optional. I even explained that it would pull her current grade average, an "A" to a "C".

Her response was, "Oh, that's okay. I only need a C in this course for graduation..."

31 minutes ago, p1t1o said:

You might be pleased to know that Villeneuve has said that he intends his film to be very different to Lynch's.

Well, amusingly, for all of the visual miscues, Lynch's movie actually tried to stay true to the story (as least as much as a two-hour movie can stay true to this complex of a book). So I guess we'll see.

27 minutes ago, tater said:

I could see that, I suppose, but having read it first, I hated it... more than I can verbalize. I liked nothing about it. Sadly, I watched it with my friend who worked on it (I saw a bunch of the bugs in his shop when I was recently in LA).

Funny, when I went to see it the girl I was with at the time was not into science fiction at all, and she thought it was terrible (as I did). So she kept going on and on afterwards about how she was not going to let me drag her to another "Star Trek Troopers" movie. LOL

29 minutes ago, Just Jim said:

IMO, they both had good and bad points, but I much preferred the mini-series to the Lynch movie.

As for something funny or interesting... I've got a good one. Princess Navi-Bug discovered my lap.... and overnight has become the biggest lap cat ever!!!

j7JJoP1.jpg

Too cute. Our cat is not a lap cat. She sleeps in Thing Two's bed on occasion. The closest my wife and I get to real affection is when she will occasionally climb onto the back of the couch while we are sitting there and attempt to chew our hair. Dumb cat.

8 minutes ago, adsii1970 said:

From the "I kid you not" file...

Today, for my U.S. history since 1865 class, I has a rather unique experience. This is the last week of the summer semester, today being the first of two lectures this week. I actually had a student tell me today she was not going to do the exam or turn in the remaining assignments. She's leaving tomorrow morning on a week long cruise in the Caribbean.

I explained that she only had a few days left of the course and the final exams and discussion questions were not optional. I even explained that it would pull her current grade average, an "A" to a "C".

Her response was, "Oh, that's okay. I only need a C in this course for graduation..."

Well, if it works for her, it works for her. Blame the game not the player, right? Just let her wait and see how far that attitude gets her in real life.

Edited by TheSaint
Ninjaed

So there's a huge thunderstorm going on where I'm at, and my dad and sister and I were at the UMASS dining hall, and - get this - there's a flood warning. It's 12:31 and the warning ends at 2:30. Somehow or other, we got home, and now I'm sitting shivering on my bed.

I didn't know vehicle repairs also covers changing the key and key mechanism.

But I just did that XD

10 hours ago, Delay said:

Also (for the first time) found Polaris in the night sky!

I take it you don't usually live in the north hemisphere ?

Imho, instead of a 20th Dune ecranisation, they would better make, say, Barrayar.

19 hours ago, TheSaint said:

Our cat is not a lap cat. She sleeps in Thing Two's bed on occasion. The closest my wife and I get to real affection is when she will occasionally climb onto the back of the couch while we are sitting there and attempt to chew our hair. Dumb cat.

Isn't she Siamese?

I came across this comic page while going through all the old comics that I have. I had to stifle a chuckle! (read from right to left)

i0agJCb.jpg

Context: The main character's younger brother is an astronaut who is going to fly to the Moon atop a Ares-1. The night before the launch, his mother is concerned if the 'flimsy' rocket could even fly. :D

This page was published in mid 2008, when Ares/ Constellation was all the rage. So when I read it first, I just thought " You jinxed it!!!"

2 hours ago, YNM said:

I take it you don't usually live in the north hemisphere ? 

I do. As a matter of fact I never was in the southern hemisphere.

But I never actually found Polaris, either due to light pollution or my own incompetence.

2 hours ago, kerbiloid said:

Imho, instead of a 20th Dune ecranisation, they would better make, say, Barrayar.

Ooohh...Vorkosigan. That would make for an interesting movie series. If they, you know, actually adapted the books instead of just taking a vague idea of it and Hollywoodizing it.

2 hours ago, kerbiloid said:

Isn't she Siamese?

No, she's Ornery-ese. Just a plain old mutt North American housecat. We picked her up from the rescue, she apparently spent the first three or four weeks of her life living in a drainage culvert somewhere. I just don't think she ever completely got rid of that wild/feral bit.

4 hours ago, Delay said:

I'm convinced that tonight I saw a thin, faintly visible "band" going through the summer triangle.

I'm pretty sure I saw part of the Milky Way for the first time.

If you look closely, you should be able to see the darker spots right down the center of the band where giant dust clouds block out background stars. The galactic core is near red Antares, and our star system is moving in more or less the opposite direction from where you were looking before.

I just watched a movie... from a VHS tape!

Turns out that my dad has tapes of quite a lot of movies that I really want to watch.

Kinda sad that this technology is already dead. I'm still fascinated by how you can store image and (especially) sound information on tape.

Edited by Delay
missed a verb

The Wife & I celebrated our 15th wedding anniversary this weekend... by making a blacksmith forge. :D

BA0ocZn.jpg

Yes, it's a piece of crap made from a small metal trash can, but it got this bit of... something... hot enough to smoosh:

LDlbRTn.jpg

Even hot enough to quench harden.

IsJPOcv.jpg

It wull cut crush bludgeon if I threw it at you really hard it might leave a mark...

We even wound up with matching blisters:

hurHIU7.jpg

...despite welding for many years I've yet to grasp the concept that things recently exposed to metal-melting temperatures are, in fact, hot...

Wife got a chance to practice some tricky sheetmetal welding too, making the world's most warped table ever. Sheetmetal work is hard...

qRzDDpl.jpg?1

16 hours ago, SaturnianBlue said:

@Sorabh I just started watching the anime version of that book yesterday! 

Well, just you wait until you get to know what the 'new' names of the Ares rockets are! :D

And speaking of Ares, I found this: A report on what would happen if the SRB first stage exploded!

http://www.spaceref.com/news/viewsr.html?pid=31792

Hint: It is bad.....

Edited by Sorabh

After months of calculations, recalculations, mistakes, remistakes, experimentation, guesswork and consulting the forbidden ancient texts, I finally learned how to convert that crazy metabolic rate equation I asked about a while ago into something easily understandable and usable.

Nothing funny, but I just witnessed my first car crash in a while. The vehicle behind me tried to change of lane, but its driver did not (or improperly) checked his side, and struck another car. Having a rear dashcam I made a u-turn asap to meet with them, and to ask them if they would like to have a copy of the record for their insurances. Both were extremely calm but it took a while until a highway patrol officer arrived.

A good opportunity to remember that anything can happen very quickly and it is better to remain vigilant.