What funny/interesting thing happened in your life today?

Ultimate Steve

31 minutes ago, Delay said:

So I actually haven't been doing as bad as I thought, then?

I agree with @MDZhB, You are doing well. I actually didn't get that you were ESL until you said something about it. Most of those words you should learn sometime but there's a lot that you probably won't need even if you learn them. I have been on this Earth 16 years, all but 3 weeks in the US and I have not needed to use the word Antechamber in an actual conversation once.

Earlier today, while at breakfast, I had one of those moments...

For many of you older, like me, remember how every Saturday evening we'd watch the National Geographic series of Jacques Cousteau? And if you remember, his ship, the Calypso, literally sailed all over the world, bringing the vastness and excitement of ocean exploration to our living rooms. Many of the young people in this forum have grown up in a world where they do not know who he is or the stories his ship told us for nearly 20 years.

5 hours ago, Mad Rocket Scientist said:

I don't think you should feel bad about not knowing those. Most of them are synonyms or less common ways of saying something. In many ways English doesn't have a concrete "formal" or "high-brow" vocabulary, rather it has many ways of saying things, and some people choose to use less common ones to be more precise. I would not have known you were not a native speaker of English at all.

This. I like having a large vocabulary in order to articulate my thoughts with greater precision.

Went biking around the countryside with my dad yesterday.

Saw 28 Teslas and about twenty other electric cars (non-Tesla) in the span of about two hours

:)

(I know that in some places this isn't much but this is the first time I live in an area where the density of electric cars is so high)

On 8/19/2018 at 3:48 PM, The Minmus Derp said:

Lalalalalalalala! I was sleeping, and then woke up, and threw up.

(O)_(O)

1 hour ago, Earthlinger said:

Went biking around the countryside with my dad yesterday.

Saw 28 Teslas and about twenty other electric cars (non-Tesla) in the span of about two hours

:)

(I know that in some places this isn't much but this is the first time I live in an area where the density of electric cars is so high)

I saw my second ever Tesla yesterday!

Welp, not really funny, probably not that interesting, either. Once again, the whole south end of my island is without power (about 13k homes) while the power company makes a permanent fix to whatever broke the last time. Gonna be out for a few hours, probably. :mad: On a Monday night. When people need their alarms to go off so they can get up for work the next morning. 

So here I sit, reading my iPad by candlelight, wondering if it’s actually going to be three hours or I should just go hook the gennie up.  Nope, battery backups are dying one by one, generator time.

Now, with the surrounding few square miles pitch black, it would be an awesome night for stargazing... except it’s so smokey out it looks like something out of The Mist (in daylight) and I can’t see a single flarping Star. :huh:

On 8/21/2018 at 3:43 AM, CatastrophicFailure said:

So here I sit, reading my iPad by candlelight

Why would you need the candle light? The iPad already produces light doesn't it?

1 minute ago, qzgy said:

Why would you need the candle light? The iPad already produces light doesn't it?

Maybe he is powering iPad with a candle.

(Also he just wrote that he is reading iPad, not that iPad is charged and switched on)

Edited by kerbiloid