What funny/interesting thing happened in your life today?

Ultimate Steve

This morning I was just reviewing some (terrible) pictures the last year visit through the Space Center Visitor Complex, and I found these two (only 2 km from the 39A):

aLhj1v2.jpg

Everything normal? Let's look just a bit closer...

eDk7Rum.jpg?1

Then, I just discover this funny article  some minutes ago:

LaShelle McCoy, a NASA scientist, was working out at the space center gym when somebody made an announcement: “If anybody has a Jeep in the parking lot, there’s a gator underneath it.” Everyone ran to the plate-glass window and saw a huge alligator in a struggle with the gym security guard. “The guard said ‘Hi-Yaaaa!!!’ and made chopping motions,” McCoy says. “The gator hissed and spit but eventually went away.”

139LdNS.png

Edited by XB-70A

49 minutes ago, The_Cat_In_Space said:

I inhaled a piece of Lego today! What happens to my body with ABS plastic inside of it? :blush:

You survived 4 days of wilderness, what does plastic have against you !

Glad to see you back :D

This happened yesterday, but I wasn't the most cogent last night so I forgot to post it here. Better late than never, I guess?

Anyways...

I was once again hiking in the Adirondack Mountains yesterday, doing a loop trail that crosses the summits of Bear Den Mountain, Dial Mountain, and the amusingly named Nippletop. The weather up there was rather overcast yesterday, and it turns out that on some days the high peaks are tall enough to stick up into the clouds. Now, Dial and Nippletop sit on the same ridgeline, and the trail followed that line for the ~1.75 miles between the peaks. The upshot of this is that, for about 2.5 miles, I was hiking through a cloud. The trees at those elevations are typically quite stunted and windblown, which when combined with the low visibility from being in a cloud made the trail feel rather otherworldly. Felt like I was walking on an island in a sea of grey, the ground dropping off to either side.

Some of those aforementioned cloud-shrouded peaks:

C9ma3Dy.png

And the "view" from the peak of Dial:

8ly02As.png

Nippletop, being about 600 feet taller than Dial, was even cloudier.

cjECRWR.png

10 hours ago, YNM said:

You survived 4 days of wilderness, what does plastic have against you !

Glad to see you back :D

Thanks! 

Also, I have reached the like limit per day! I can't like anything until tomorrow :(

Actually this wasn't today, it was a week ago, but my math teacher actually told me to put my hand up less so that the other students have some time to think. That's not something you get to hear a lot.

The topic? We're currently revisiting linear equations in preperation for what seems to be calculus.

2 hours ago, Delay said:

Actually this wasn't today, it was a week ago, but my math teacher actually told me to put my hand up less so that the other students have some time to think. That's not something you get to hear a lot.

The topic? We're currently revisiting linear equations in preperation for what seems to be calculus.

My kids got this in their karate class. The sensei started referring to them as The Little Einsteins. As in, "So, who knows the answer?" <My kids hands all go up.> "Except for The Little Einsteins."

2 hours ago, TheSaint said:

My kids got this in their karate class. The sensei started referring to them as The Little Einsteins. As in, "So, who knows the answer?" <My kids hands all go up.> "Except for The Little Einsteins."

I remember in 7th grade history, i was told i couldn't raise my hand for the rest of the class that day

1 hour ago, munlander1 said:

I remember in 7th grade history, i was told i couldn't raise my hand for the rest of the class that day

I have frequent moments where I'm the only one raising my hand and the teacher asks for someone else who hasn't already answered.

8 hours ago, Delay said:

"Does anyone else have any ideas?"

I get a little too enthusiastic about answering as well.

Speaking of math class, today's class included difference quotients, although I already (unofficially) know basic derivatives. I worked through everything and was annoyed when I realized the result was just a derivative.

Edited by Mad Rocket Scientist

4 hours ago, munlander1 said:

Back when I was in 7th grade, I used to raise my hands at every question, and if I was not selected to answer, I would be more vigorous (Like jumping up and down) in my attempt to get noticed by the teacher when she asked the next question. :D

Finally, fed up,  my teacher came up with a plan. She said that a student could answer only once. And the next time she asked questions, I had to be very careful while raising my hand. "What if the next question is more difficult? Maybe I should wait for that." is what I would always tell myself :D

And also, who did this?

ILM6QZ7.png

My SIDES!!!! :D:D:D:D

I'm testing the graphic capabilities of my computer, with the spec of: Intel i5 processor, Nvidia GeForce 740M, 8GB RAM

So... Crysis run pretty fine, DOOM is playable enough. I need a better chip-melting program today... Ah yes, how about Wolfenstein The New Colossus? Sure enough, Even after I'm setting all graphics to the lowest possible value (Lowered the resolution to 640 X 360), it runs like slideshow on powerpoint, but worse, barely keeping with stuttering motion of the opening cinematic that I had to skip it, and even then it struggles to even load the first level where, after waiting for half an hour, the PC crashed. Well that was kinda awkward :P

Honestly though, I'm not a fan of graphic-heavy games, especially if it has very little replay value, since I'm judging game from gameplay, not graphic (Fortunately, KSP is a solid choice for me, since mods provides A LOT of replayability for a game that I owned for nearly six years). I'm just testing the benchmark to see how far my computer can go

Two times a year highly intellectual people like ourselves make fools out of themselves trying to correct clocks in cars, microwave ovens, photographic equipment, computers, dvd- and blue ray players, controllers for central heating, telescope, patio lighting, garden sprinklers and whatnot. We curse and swear never again when we forgot it and realize our mistake on sight of the train's red lights, departed plane, closed theater doors, angry boss or the the other way round. I always mix that up.

At least in Europe, this will soon(tm) be over. The EU's commission, following a census that brought to the 1 hour delayed light of a summer's day that 80% of the population is against it and finally realizing that nothing is saved during daylight savings time came down with the decision to cancel the clock change. They plan to be as eager as possible and have it decided before the end of next may (2019). Which will be too late for summer 2019.

Yay ! Life is about to get a little better :-)

Looking forward to the flame wars that will start when it goes about "shall we switch to constant summer- or wintertime ?". Already the "experts" throw in their cents and stake their claims (or claim the stakes ?). That'll be funny, i suppose :-)

Edited by Green Baron

38 minutes ago, Green Baron said:

Two times a year highly intellectual people like ourselves make fools out of themselves trying to correct clocks in cars, microwave ovens, photographic equipment, computers, dvd- and blue ray players, controllers for central heating, telescope, patio lighting, garden sprinklers and whatnot. We curse and swear never again when we forgot it and realize our mistake on sight of the train's red lights, departed plane, closed theater doors, angry boss or the the other way round. I always mix that up.

At least in Europe, this will soon(tm) be over. The EU's commission, following a census that brought to the 1 hour delayed light of a summer's day that 80% of the population is against it and finally realizing that nothing is saved during daylight savings time came down with the decision to cancel the clock change. They plan to be as eager as possible and have it decided before the end of next may (2019). Which will be too late for summer 2019.

Yay ! Life is about to get a little better :-)

Looking forward to the flame wars that will start when it goes about "shall we switch to constant summer- or wintertime ?". Already the "experts" throw in their cents and stake their claims (or claim the stakes ?). That'll be funny, i suppose :-)

One of the advantages of living in Arizona: No DST. I remember the old tale, that when they tried to explain DST to a Native American, he said, "So, you try to make a blanket longer by cutting an inch off the bottom and sewing it on to the top?"

15 minutes ago, tater said:

Leaving the house today I saw a big bobcat (not all that atypical a sight around here, but he was quite big).

There used to be a huge stretch of open land on our drive to the supermarket here where we would see herds of pronghorn, at least once a week, just grazing on the side of the road. But now they're developing it, going to put in another 1,000 homes. But just this weekend we were driving by and saw a big herd, probably 30 of them, grazing in the hundred yards or so between the development and the freeway. I guess AZGFD is going to capture and release them at some point, move them up north where there's more habitat. "Progress."

3 hours ago, Green Baron said:

Eternal Summer would make more sense, either way it’s a step in the right direction. Here in the Northwest, we could really use that extra hour of afternoon in the winter when the sun sets at like 4pm. :/

Tho in all fairness, these days most of the important stuff automatically resets itself...<_<

3 hours ago, tater said:

Leaving the house today I saw a big bobcat (not all that atypical a sight around here, but he was quite big).

I just had two bunnies and a big, ugly, yellow spider try to keep me from going down my driveway. Maybe I should just call in sick. :P

9 minutes ago, CatastrophicFailure said:

I just had two bunnies and a big, ugly, yellow spider try to keep me from going down my driveway. Maybe I should just call in sick. :P

tiny_friend_by_tatersw-dcjhywp.jpg

Little dude I found in the house (they get palm sized).

3 hours ago, Mukita12 said:

Help me.......

On this day of 31st August, I suffer a sickness called "Harry Potter Shipment"

I keep Shipping Harry and Ginny even thoe in the book they were married and all that jazz

I was still 14..... Please help....

Help you how? Judging by your phrasing, this was some time ago, right?

Your woes seem very earthly compared to mine

I should stop thinking so much :D

(Kidding)