What funny/interesting thing happened in your life today?

Ultimate Steve

1 hour ago, Green Baron said:

Linux Apache MySQL PHP ? *doubtfullook*

:-)

I came here to say the exact same thing!

1 hour ago, CatastrophicFailure said:

Also, like I say to everyone with an “interesting” driving story, dashcams, yo! Dashcams!

Yeah... I really need to get one.  I could run a YouTube channel just on the red light runners in this town.  I see at least one almost every day.

Just solved a Rubik's cube in 1:24.
Not record-breaking, of course, but a huge achievement for me, considering 1) that I was stuck in the 2-minute range for quite some time and 2) that I don't have the most efficient way to solve a Rubik's cube (I work with whatever situation I find myself in, rather than actually planning a few steps ahead).

I'm not interested in solving it any faster than that, <1 minute would be nice it's but not a necessity. Being able to solve the cube in the first place is satisfying enough.

Edited by Delay

On 10/3/2018 at 7:42 PM, Delay said:

<1 minute would be nice

Did a 58.95s.

And that time includes putting my watch (which I use improvisationally to measure my time) on the table and the time it takes to pick it up again and stop the timer.

Granted; my scramble wasn't that bad, so I probably saved some time by not needing to do that many turns.
Still, if this were official I'd now have a <1 minute time as my PB.

On 10/3/2018 at 12:42 PM, Delay said:

I'm not interested in solving it any faster than that

2 hours ago, Delay said:

Did a 58.95s.

You may have already started down the slippery slope...soon enough you'll be looking up F2L and 2LLL... :D 

I spent at least five years knowing only the beginner's method, and averaged 40-50 seconds during that time. Then I got a book detailing a method to get below 20 seconds, and learned random-ish algorithms from that book over the next few years. Eventually I got down to it and went all in learning 1-3 algorithms per day until I knew all 70ish necessary. Now I think I can get below 10 seconds consistently frequently by the time I get to Mars, but I'm an engineering student right now so my time allocation is...changing.

Edited by cubinator

9 minutes ago, cubinator said:

I spent at least five years knowing only the beginner's method, and averaged 40-50 seconds during that time.

I can't hold the cube "correctly" (in a way that allows quick rotations), which probably contributes to the time a tiny bit.  Add a few seconds to look around as well as a generally slow reaction time and you got your 58 seconds.

Edited by Delay

I watched anime for the first time (My Hero Academia) and uuuuuuuhhh... i don't watch any shows/cartoons/whatever nowadays, so i can't really compare it to anything other than Spaceflight Documentaries.

I really enjoyed watching it, but like all things, i HAVE to get a spaceflight break sometimes, so i watched a Space Shuttle video wth full volume. (I also watched the Martian)

7 minutes ago, NSEP said:

I watched anime for the first time (My Hero Academia) and uuuuuuuhhh... i don't watch any shows/cartoons/whatever nowadays, so i can't really compare it to anything other than Spaceflight Documentaries.

I really enjoyed watching it, but like all things, i HAVE to get a spaceflight break sometimes, so i watched a Space Shuttle video wth full volume. (I also watched the Martian)

Watch space anime.

5 minutes ago, Bill Phil said:

Watch space anime.

/space announcer voice

AAANIIIMEEEEEE IIIIINNNN SSSSPPPAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAACCCCCEEEEEEEE!!!!!!!

As far as today goes for me, both Young Eagles (if you're under 18 you can fly in a small plane for free) and the marching band competition (a really big deal) have been cancelled due to weather and both will not be rescheduled. :(

8 hours ago, NSEP said:

Ohhh, hey! Thats pretty good!

I’ve heart Planetes, about a space junk cleanup group, is pretty good. Also check out Rocket Girls if you can tolerate subtitles. The premise is a bit absurd (isn’t all anime?) but the tech is surprisingly on-point. 

Oh, and there’s always the classic Robotech/Macross... <_<

(Thankfully !) Not something that happened directly on me, and it's not exactly charming to know either, but... I think I've found our own version of San Andreas Fault ?

Full USGS overall report

Slip map :

20181007_143724.png

Intensity (mercalli, shown as rings -innermost thin VIII.5 outermost thin V.5) and (predicted) liquefaction map (as purplish shades) :

20181007_144016.png

Some view of the liquefaction that occured :

(1:00 and 2:00)

Not sure is it true or not, but apparently the movement was captured in whole by satellite :

(ground view during the event)

Any of you who actually live in California has a comment ? Was the 1989 earthquake this bad ?

Edited by YNM

This technically happened the other night, but I woke up randomly during the night and opened my eyes to see my dog standing on my bed staring directly at me. When I acknowledged him he lay down and went back to sleep and so did I. The weirdest part is, that's not the first time that's happened.

My best guess is that I had been talking in my sleep (My mum says I do this sometimes), which caught my dog's attention and also woke me up.

I must be really, really rusty when it comes to console gaming.  I used to play Halo: Reach 6-7 hours a day.  I've played it maybe a total of 8 hours this year now.  Managed to play a bit with my brother and my daughter last night.

My daughter managed three kills in one game.  One was me, one her uncle.

She's 9.

She doesn't really play video games, at all.  So she's not a gamer kid.

On 10/7/2018 at 8:53 AM, YNM said:

Any of you who actually live in California has a comment ? Was the 1989 earthquake this bad ?

I do not live in California. But the sad event in your area does not get the attention it deserves in western media. I read that almost 2.000 people are confirmed dead until now ?

For soil liquefaction and flow as a landslide to occur, the ground must be nearly soaked with water. An earthquake or pressure can bring the particles into suspension in the water matrix and a slope will then transport the material away and of course everything on it. This happens ideally along a ramp of more solid ground.

Several cases have been described, if you search "soil liquefaction".

I found a study describing the Palu-Koru fault as an area of high tension between 3 plate margins. We can put "low level seismicity" conclusion to science history now ... :/. San Andreas fault otoh, if i am not mistaken, is a classical transform fault of two plates slipping alongside each other.

Edited by Green Baron

2 hours ago, Green Baron said:

I read that almost 2.000 people are confirmed dead until now ?

Possibly more. For a while almost none of the gov't official based there was able to be contacted - the provincial governor only came up what, 3 days after ? Same with the mayor. It's total destruction where either the ground has fallen and/or made into slush and consume entire village, or where the tsunami hits. Or both.

IMO if it was only earthquake and tsunami the death toll won't be this high. But the landslides and liquefaction are much, much harder to run from (you don't know where they'd form - maps made by CVGHM/PVMBG shows the vast majority of the city to be very high risk, and USGS almost paints the whole lower region as being prone to liquefaction, as can be seen in the screenshots I shown earlier).

We are running the risk of either letting the same event happen in the future, or the whole area has to be vacated (Imagine a modern city of 500,000 people has to be relocated entirely...), or we have to figure out how to build stuff properly on such lands.

I hope the rest of the world could help us in tackling the challenge we are faced with.

Edited by YNM

On 10/7/2018 at 7:29 AM, THEdragon said:

This technically happened the other night, but I woke up randomly during the night and opened my eyes to see my dog standing on my bed staring directly at me. When I acknowledged him he lay down and went back to sleep and so did I. The weirdest part is, that's not the first time that's happened.

My best guess is that I had been talking in my sleep (My mum says I do this sometimes), which caught my dog's attention and also woke me up.

Some people have a little bit of a whistle (or wheezing) when they snore... maybe you're snoring and that's getting the dog's attention?