What funny/interesting thing happened in your life today?

Ultimate Steve

33 minutes ago, CatastrophicFailure said:

I made an enormous trebuchet that can fling a dead cow over almost 2500 feet!

What a devious revenge.

The neighbors still think that was a tornado who covered their yard with dead cows.

The neighbors from the opposite side still think that those neighbors are cultists who have stolen their herd and sacrificed it in the yard.

And only one man knows how it was actually...

13 minutes ago, kerbiloid said:

What a devious revenge.

The neighbors still think that was a tornado who covered their yard with dead cows.

The neighbors from the opposite side still think that those neighbors are cultists who have stolen their herd and sacrificed it in the yard.

And only one man knows how it was actually...

I want to live where my neighbors are 2500+/- feet away...:wub:

7 hours ago, CatastrophicFailure said:

I want to live where my neighbors are 2500+/- feet away...:wub:

I don't.  I used to.  While it was awesome that I essentially didn't have neighbors, I also essentially didn't have internet.  The internet was so bad I would have to literally go to other people's houses to download anything more than a few MB.

So I realized that besides the trebuchet, I hadn't posted much here. Time to change that.

Sep. 30: My first date. I was pumped up (For a date), and it was our first time seeing each other since the football game (She goes to a different school, but she's in the band, and our schools played each other). I had asked her out a week beforehand (With a cheesy paperclip ring), and she said yes. It wasn't that bad; Pizza Hut is always a win. And the best thing is how amazing we are. Her passcode for her phone is the day I asked her to be my girlfriend. If that's not true love, I don't know what is right there.

------

Oct. 8: District Track Meet. It had rained the night before, so the course was wet and muddy. However, I ran it okay (Besides almost doing a backflip as they do in the cartoons when someone slips on a banana peel). Final result: Pretty good. Me: 6th, Freshman #1 (T): 9th, Freshman #2 (A): 10th. WE'RE GOING TO REGIONALS!!! We leave on the 21st (Sunday), get to Lubbock that night, carb load, run the 22nd (Monday afternoon).

----

Oct. 19: Our school is facing off against the big scary in the district. A school that's almost 3A, we're not favored in our second home game of the district schedule (We were supposed to play there, but it's been raining for about four days, and their grass field is worse for wear compared to our fancy astroturf). But I won't be there. Coach told me not to do anything to get myself sick, hurt, or in any other way damaged, and I don't think that sitting at a football game- at night, in the rain, in cold temperatures, in a West Texas wind- would necessarily help out with keeping myself from getting sick.

4 hours ago, Geonovast said:

I don't.  I used to.  While it was awesome that I essentially didn't have neighbors, I also essentially didn't have internet.  The internet was so bad I would have to literally go to other people's houses to download anything more than a few MB.

Today is the future, yo. ^_^ Starlink is just around the corner. 

12 hours ago, Ultimate Steve said:

How exactly does one convince a church to let you play one?

Not a church. This organ is at my university. But I can answer that:

Make acquaintance with the organist. In my case, I don't go to church, but my grandmother does, and she talked with the organist there, who it turns out also teaches piano lessons. I was able to get organ lessons instead, and after I had a little experience I was allowed to just go in and play the church organ on my own during office hours over the summer.

Now I'm in college, though, and don't have a car. But, the college has a school of music, and they have a few organs. I emailed the organ professor, saying I would like to continue practicing the awesome instrument, and also went to the open house at a very big organ on campus that just got restored, where I played for a few minutes and conversed with the professor. He booked me some time in that room pictured above with the very nice pipe organ.

So basically, get to know an organist and they will be able to get you to the console. If you express interest in continuing and learning more, you'll probably be able to strike a deal!

Next time I go to an organ, I will try to bring some recording equipment that is more than my laptop's embedded macguffins. And I will think of something to play that sounds nice. Maybe.

Also, how awesome and Animusic-like would it be to have robot arms pulling the stops for me? That would be awesome and I want that on the organ that I send to Mars in 30 years. Future self, take note! This organ would totally fit in a cargo BFR! Also you should wear a cape when you play it.

Edited by cubinator

1 hour ago, cubinator said:

Also, how awesome and Animusic-like would it be to have robot arms pulling the stops for me? That would be awesome and I want that on the organ that I send to Mars in 30 years. Future self, take note! This organ would totally fit in a cargo BFR!

Make sure you play it outside, that’s gotta sound eerie as heck in the thin air. 

might need to upgrade the bellows first...

2 minutes ago, CatastrophicFailure said:

Make sure you play it outside, that’s gotta sound eerie as heck in the thin air. 

might need to upgrade the bellows first...

Will see about depressing the concert hall at some point, and real thin space gloves...

On 6/6/2018 at 2:19 AM, NSEP said:

I somehow got most of my friends to stop playing Fortnite by introducing them to Spaceflight Simulater.

Yes, yeah!

Elon Musk is helping you.  Check his twitter page...  

10 hours ago, cubinator said:

I played a harpsichord for the first time today. It was kind of great but also kind of weird. I also played this organ. That was great.

Wow, you can play the queen of instruments, i am impressed.

I wish i could play an instrument ...

When i was in school, one of our teacher was the organist in church. He invited the whole class to visit him and hear the organ. He started to play a church song, then something more neutral, a classic riff, and finished the gig with a blues and a boogie. The pastor was not amused.

Edited by Green Baron

8 hours ago, CatastrophicFailure said:

No no, you can play something happy, tho I guess those organs do gravitate to the somber. :lol:

Oh, those things can really be exciting if the player feels it. So much energy...

6 hours ago, Green Baron said:

When i was in school, one of our teacher was the organist in church. He invited the whole class to visit him and hear the organ. He started to play a church song, then something more neutral, a classic riff, and finished the gig with a blues and a boogie. The pastor was not amused.

I imagine he wouldn't be amused by me playing video game themes on one! :DSo much of that music sounds soooo good on a pipe organ though. 

I figured out some scripting in Python and used it to make a function that prints all primes between 2 and some number x.
I tried out some values: 2, 3, 40, 37 (to make sure that 37 is also included if it is x), 1000...

...and then I tried 1,000,000.
rCFpo1V.png

It... took a while to go through the list. The list ended up being so large that the command prompt window ran out of lines, so what I actually got in the end was a list of primes that starts at 958,553 and ends at 999,983.

At least I know the script works. And that I'm not entirely sane anymore.

Went to the SVP meeting (here in town this year) to meet a friend, and take him to lunch. He got us into the exhibitor hall (which is where the poster session also is), so I had a nice lunch, saw some cool exhibits, and even saw some interesting posters. All in all a nice way to spend the middle of the day.