What funny/interesting thing happened in your life today?

Ultimate Steve

I binge read 'Saturn Run'! My friend gifted the ebook and said he will be getting me a lot of space books, like Stephen Baxter's Manifold series and  NASA trilogy :D.... I feel bad that he has to spend money though... but he doesn't mind, so I guess its OK...

So today, we're starting rockets in physics. Easy. Freaking. Peasy. I go onto the design program we're using, make a basic PVC body, cardboard fins, and 3D printed nosecone with the provided engine, and go crazy. After tweaking, I managed to create a monster.

835m Apogee

177m/s max velocity

But then, I ran into a problem. The motor we're using has a set charge time. We can't change parachute launch stats. *sigh*

New stats:

644m Apogee

171m/s max velocity

Errors: Chute is deploying at 47.8m/s.

The apogee on the Raptor I is a stunning 2,112.9 feet. I think we might have to call the FAA. And get more durable chutes.

1 hour ago, DarkOwl57 said:

Ding Ding Ding!!!

The Estes D12 Rocket motor with a 5-second ejection charge (Estes D12-5)

Must be a pretty light rocket to get up so high. The rocket I flew had a J motor and had an apogee of 1029 m (OpenRocket predicted about 1200 m). It had a big avionics bay, though, and the body wasn't incredibly light.

For our parachutes, we used an altimeter to set off our own charges at apogee and then at 500 ft. This is pretty common for high power rockets.

Edited by cubinator

Last night I finally ran my computer hard enough to make my UPS beep about overloading it.  Nothing shut off, I think it was just the "If I lose power, I can't hold this load" beep.  Still annoying, though.

I managed to go a whole two and a half weeks without ordering anything from NewEgg, too.  Oh well.

The Raptor I (Also known as the loving name "The Silver Bullet" due to its metallic paint scheme) didn't work as well as it could. The rocket itself ended up launching perfectly.... followed by it spinning unconrollably. It impacted the ground before the parachute even deployed. The innards (Parachute, parachute chord, etc.) are mildly singed, but overall not a total loss. The engine itself is toast- black, sulfer-smelling toast. We lost Fin 1 due to carelessness (Some bystanding student decided to toss the rocket to one of my group members), while Fin 2 is hanging on by a thread from ground impact caused by a poor COM balance. Overall, our problem came from 2 things.

1) The rocket's engine is tilted a bit.
2) The rocket had a small COM issue where the launch lug was heavier than the fins, which dragged down the sides. However, I think that the experience of actually building the thing is more important than the results. Pictures (And video) to come later.

@cubinator @razark @Delay

HotTake: in one specific example, IMO the original effects are better than the modern ones. That specific example is the weapon effects in ship-to-ship combat.

To elaborate: (I couldnt find any examples on google image but) in the early episodes of the original-old-original, the battle effects consisted of a series of very brief, circular, white flashes,and the torpedos/projectiles themselves would not be visible in transit.

Consider the photon torpedo, a matter/antimatter warhead, essentially a very large (!!) nuke. In the modern series' the impact of a photon torpedo on a target is...underwhelming. More comparable to a WWII battleship shell. And they would travel at, apparently, a few hundred mph, max.

Whereas in reality it would look more like...a very brief spherical flash appearing out of nowhere.

Edited by p1t1o

3 hours ago, CatastrophicFailure said:

Only two hundred euros for twice the posted limit?! Please tell me that’s like, all the dollars!

He will have to re-take his test though, and likely several extra lessons. That maybe doubles or triples the financial cost, and with the points and extended probation, he stands a very good chance of losing his license again on any other infraction for the next 2 years, and with this on his record would stand a very high risk of a much longer ban if that happened.