What funny/interesting thing happened in your life today?

Ultimate Steve

So far, today, the most interesting thing in my life is seeing a video about an event in someone else's life:

Also I learned (if youtube comments are to be believed), you can't get any money from monetizing youtube videos without having 1000 subscribers.

Also, I learned that this is a thing:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Situs_ambiguus

https://ghr.nlm.nih.gov/condition/heterotaxy-syndrome

https://www.chop.edu/conditions-diseases/heterotaxy-syndrome-isomerism

I don't know if that's interesting to others, but I think its weird that there are some people going around with their insides all rearranged.. and apparently living to old age like that...

3 hours ago, KerikBalm said:

I don't know if that's interesting to others, but I think its weird that there are some people going around with their insides all rearranged.. and apparently living to old age like that...

Hey, long as all the bits work well enough, I don't think placement would matter too much. Would probably be a nightmare for surgeons though.

Also I think a family friend actually does have her heart on the wrong side. I think, not sure.

3 minutes ago, qzgy said:

Also I think a family friend actually does have her heart on the wrong side. I think, not sure.

My cousin has Situs Inversus.  Not only is everything on the wrong side, but it's mirrored.  So if she ever needs an organ transplant, the donor would also need to have Situs Inversus.

FunFactTM: amino acids (apart from glycine) come in L & D enantiomers, and the vast majority in all biological organisms are the L enantiomer. (there are instances where D-versions are present but there are extreme exception and are often translated in-situ from the L-variant).

Things start to go deeply, deeply wrong if D-enantiomers are introduced where they should not be. IIRC some forms of Alzheimers have been linked to D-enantiomer amino acid exposure.

Apparently this is just a quirk of evolution on Earth, at some point the L-enantiomers were used and from then on its just what we went with.

"We" meaning all protein-forming organisms on the planet with very few exceptions (and none in actual proteins AFAIK, some D-aminos can be found in some bacterial cell walls or used as neurotransmitters in higher organisms )

Edited by p1t1o

3 hours ago, KerikBalm said:

Also, I learned that this is a thing:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Situs_ambiguus

https://ghr.nlm.nih.gov/condition/heterotaxy-syndrome

https://www.chop.edu/conditions-diseases/heterotaxy-syndrome-isomerism

Sort of related: When I went in for my valve replacement they performed a full torso CT scan to make sure that there weren't any surprises for the surgeon. They discovered that I had a pelvic kidney, my right kidney had never lifted out of my pelvis. Works fine, it's just an idiosyncratic anomaly. But it was funny that it had been that way since birth and I had no idea until I was in my late 40s.

Fast forward a couple of years. I wound up with pneumonia at one point, and they saw some scarring on my lungs while treating that and referred me to a pulmonologist, and he wanted a hi-res CT of my lungs to look at. So I go to the radiology group, I get all laid out, they zap me. I'm waiting. I wait like two or three minutes. The tech comes out again and resituates me, they zap me again. I wait some more. I'm looking over in the booth and there's three of them in there pouring over my scan. And then they call the radiologist in. And I'm starting to get a little concerned. Finally, after about ten minutes or so, one of he other techs comes out and asks, "So, have you donated a kidney or something?" <facepalm> The tech was freaking out because she was expecting to see two kidneys at the bottom of the scan, and no matter what she did she was only seeing one. She was new and she was all, "What am I doing wrong here!" And I hadn't thought to mention anything about the kidney because, they're looking at my lungs, what do they care about my kidneys! She was very relieved, and we all had a good laugh about my shy kidney.

6 hours ago, KerikBalm said:

So far, today, the most interesting thing in my life is seeing a video about an event in someone else's life:

Jiminy flarped-up crinklefries, that is some anxiety-inducing scat right there! :wacko: I think my blood pressure just jumped up higher than that glider. :confused:

3 hours ago, p1t1o said:

FunFactTM: amino acids (apart from glycine) come in L & D enantiomers, and the vast majority in all biological organisms are the L enantiomer. (there are instances where D-versions are present but there are extreme exception and are often translated in-situ from the L-variant).

Things start to go deeply, deeply wrong if D-enantiomers are introduced where they should not be. IIRC some forms of Alzheimers have been linked to D-enantiomer amino acid exposure.

Apparently this is just a quirk of evolution on Earth, at some point the L-enantiomers were used and from then on its just what we went with.

"We" meaning all protein-forming organisms on the planet with very few exceptions (and none in actual proteins AFAIK, some D-aminos can be found in some bacterial cell walls or used as neurotransmitters in higher organisms )

And so if you got flipped via a four-dimensional excursion, you would run into very big trouble when it came time to eat some food.

44 minutes ago, CatastrophicFailure said:

Extrapolate? This sounds familiar, but I can’t put my finger on the details...

Imagine cutting out an irregular polygon from paper (or actually do it, the choice is yours). This is like your proteins. If you rotate it and slide it around, it will always be the same shape. 

But if you flip it over through a third dimension, it will now be mirrored. And chances are it won't fit into the hole you cut it out of anymore, not without flipping it back.

This is what would happen to everything in your body if you were flipped in a fourth dimension and returned to Earth. Your molecules and large structures would now be mirrored, you would see the whole world mirrored through your eyes...

I think this phenomenon is referenced in Flatland.

18 minutes ago, cubinator said:

Imagine cutting out an irregular polygon from paper (or actually do it, the choice is yours). This is like your proteins. If you rotate it and slide it around, it will always be the same shape. 

But if you flip it over through a third dimension, it will now be mirrored. And chances are it won't fit into the hole you cut it out of anymore, not without flipping it back.

This is what would happen to everything in your body if you were flipped in a fourth dimension and returned to Earth. Your molecules and large structures would now be mirrored, you would see the whole world mirrored through your eyes...

I think this phenomenon is referenced in Flatland.

I believe there was a Lovecraft story with this as a plot point. I think it was Lovecraft, anyway.

Number of times I have slipped onto my butt this winter: 0 1

I was alright outside, went into a building, thought I was fine, and the second I went from the carpet to the smooth tile I was on the ground because of the snow that was melting out of my soles.

Edited by cubinator

Got news last night that my cousin has been elected as an AAAS Fellow for 2018, and was also reviewed in this month's Chronicle of Higher Education.  During discussion of this with my uncle, I learned that he (my uncle) was an AAAS keynote speaker in NYC back in 1965... his paper is archived somewhere within the Journal of Geoscience Education.

A few months ago I wrote a very, very slimmed down pseudo social media thinger so that my 9 year old could share pictures and whatnot with our family that's 600 miles away without being exposed to the vitriol that is real social media.  Since it's running on a server in my basement, it's very easy to allow her unrestricted access to that system while her actual internet usage is strictly limited.

Last night, we had a pretty severe storm with the tornado sirens going off from about 1 - 1:30 am.  So at 1 I was forced to wake her up and bring her downstairs.  At 1:30 we went back upstairs and I put her back to bed.

She didn't go back to bed, though.  I know this since she pretty much ratted on herself by posting on that system at 1:34 this morning.  When I asked her about it, she told me she stayed up until 4 :mad:

Started shovelling snow at 4:30 this morning. Finished about 5 minutes ago (about 5:55 AM).

And that's just for the sidewalks and behind the garage.

We got dumped on hardcore last night.

Edited by GDJ

I encountered a space denier in the wild today. They insist that it's all CGI and fakery, hinted at disbelief towards a spherical Earth too. I showed them a few photos from other planets...

Spoiler

Gale Crater, Mars:Image result for mars landscape curiosity

Enceladus:Related image

Sunset, Gale Crater again:

Image result for mars sunset

...and I told them "You can continue ignoring the universe, but I'm going to go there."

It doesn't matter much to me, for now I'm going to continue right on making a sounding rocket for a space shot, and soon enough I'll be climbing into a capsule and heading off into orbit for the betterment of all Earthly life.

After a power outage caused some issues at work yesterday, I finally got around to configuring apcupsd on all three servers there to shut down properly in the event of 25% charge of the UPS.

Since I just recently got a new APC UPS with a USB port for my KSP computer, I plugged it in last night.  Without having to do a thing, I was greeted with a few new toys. :D

Screenshotat20181204.png