What funny/interesting thing happened in your life today?

Ultimate Steve

I saw someone at school today with the same mechanical pencil as me: https://www.jetpens.com/Uni-Kuru-Toga-Advance-Mechanical-Pencil-0.5-mm-Black/pd/21019

These things are great by the way, they work well, it's hard to break the lead, and it really does keep the lead sharp. Also, that site is a terrible rabbit hole that makes you want to buy five 100$ pens that all are designed to outlive you, when you're already swimming in free ones: https://www.jetpens.com/blog/the-best-machined-pens/pt/973

Finished watching Steins;Gate today.

It's... an experience.

Starts out funny. Gets serious and funny. Then kind of goes all out funny in a few scenes in the last episode with some seriousness mixed in.

Maybe I should become a mad scientist? Or would a mad engineer be more appropriate?

9 hours ago, razark said:

I've always found their innards rather uninteresting.

Thin, spread out, all mixed together, and stuck to the bottom of my shoe.

I just call in the exterminators. They spray around some Roach-Be-Gone, and no more nightmares.

8 hours ago, Shpaget said:

I just call in the exterminators. They spray around some Roach-Be-Gone, and no more nightmares.

Except for living with the fact you've just basically terminated an entire population of roaches living peacefully as one with nature. Think of the children you ordered the death of! :P

I got a call from my mom.  

Mom: "I have a computer question.  I don't think this is real, but I wanted to tell you just to make sure."

Me: "Uh, ok." *Prepares my best 'Have you tried turning it off and on again?' voice*

Mom: "I got two phone calls from Microsoft, they told me that my IP address had been hacked and that they need to give me a new one."

Me: *Erupts laughing*

Mom: "So this definitely isn't real, then."

After a few minutes, I was able to stop laughing long enough to remind her that she doesn't even have any microsoft products in her house.  She then mentioned that they'd spoofed her phone number.

WHO FALLS FOR THIS STUFF?

30 minutes ago, Geonovast said:

I got a call from my mom.  

Mom: "I have a computer question.  I don't think this is real, but I wanted to tell you just to make sure."

Me: "Uh, ok." *Prepares my best 'Have you tried turning it off and on again?' voice*

Mom: "I got two phone calls from Microsoft, they told me that my IP address had been hacked and that they need to give me a new one."

Me: *Erupts laughing*

Mom: "So this definitely isn't real, then."

After a few minutes, I was able to stop laughing long enough to remind her that she doesn't even have any microsoft products in her house.  She then mentioned that they'd spoofed her phone number.

Lots of people. Especially old people. They had a article in the local paper a while ago, local off-duty sheriff deputy was in line at Walmart, noticed that the old lady in front of him was buying a bunch of $100 Visa gift cards, got suspicious, started asking her some questions. Sure enough, she was falling for one of the IRS scam phone calls.

Really wish there were a way to press a button and send high voltage shocks to people on the other side of a phone call. Not enough to kill them, just enough to make them rethink their life choices. :mad:

2 hours ago, Geonovast said:

Everyone. I’m not sure how many people were phished by PwC to prepare one of their presentation, but they claimed a success rate of 100%. Other sources claim that at least 4% of those swindled get victimized again in under a year.

Between the huge social media papertrails and the bank employees constantly selling data, no-one, and I mean no-one, is safe from social engineers. Tech-illiterate grannies are just the low-hanging fruit; even militaries can fall prey to convincing spear-phishes.

3 hours ago, qzgy said:

Except for living with the fact you've just basically terminated an entire population of roaches living peacefully as one with nature. Think of the children you ordered the death of! :P

And then a great big one from another planet comes down, steals some redneck’s skin, and tried to steal the galaxy too... 

Spoiler

tenor.gif?itemid=4954926

Edited by CatastrophicFailure

3 hours ago, qzgy said:

Except for living with the fact you've just basically terminated an entire population of roaches living peacefully as one with nature.

Roaches? Just roaches?

Spoiler

The+Butterfly+Effect.jpg

A whole Callisto space base got devastated by a hydrogen plum from Jupiter in not so far future...
Roaches...

3 hours ago, Geonovast said:

After a few minutes, I was able to stop laughing long enough to remind her that she doesn't even have any microsoft products in her house

Windows 8. You can't uninstall it that easy.
Windows 9. You can't.
Windows 10: You can't stop it from updating and observing your activities.
Windows 11: You can't avoid it. It will install itself whatever you undertake. Resistance is futile.

3 hours ago, Geonovast said:

The same who falls for the commercials. 95%.

3 minutes ago, CatastrophicFailure said:

The Borg won’t come with cubes and nanites, they’ll come with software updates. Which they didn’t want either. :P

Screw that stupid impossible geometric shape.  To take down the Borg, all they needed to do was install Windows 10 on Hugh, and send him home.

This is neither interesting, nor funny. :mad: Once again, I’m getting paid my ridiculous government wage to sit on my duff and do nothing for 9.5 hours. Cuz this place still hasn’t recovered from 4 inches of snow last weekend. And then, this is coming tomorrow! 

I’m gonna be ticked if I don’t get to go drive in it. ಠ_ಠ

4 hours ago, qzgy said:

You know, I am very much against animal cruelty and senseless killings, but in my book roaches get no sympathy. They outnumber us something like 10 000 to 1 and have wings. As far as I'm concerned, I'm not tolerating them in my house.

40 minutes ago, CatastrophicFailure said:

Transit Bus driver. 

Hide contents

LameKlutzyGlowworm-small.gif

:ph34r:

I want to ride your bus!

17 minutes ago, Shpaget said:

You know, I am very much against animal cruelty and senseless killings, but in my book roaches get no sympathy. They outnumber us something like 10 000 to 1 and have wings. As far as I'm concerned, I'm not tolerating them in my house.

They're not exactly an endangered species....

Oh, also, my partner and I were taking apart a robot for a class yesterday. He looked somewhat humanoid (but with wheels) so we named him after me. As I'm taking apart something, I feel something suddenly hurt in my lower arm and wrist. I say "Ow!" and as it turns out, my partner happened to be disassembling the lower arm and wrist of the robot that was named after me at that very moment.

Robot voodoo. :ph34r:

Somebody commissioned Ansel Hsiao to create a 3D missile cruiser. Now, Ansel Hsiao is a freelancer that works (worked?) mostly for the old Star Wars technical manuals.

Spoiler

This, for example, is the most detailed model of a Gen 1 ISD to date, so you know this is the man to go for grizzly starships

isd2_122.jpg

So what would happen if someone asked him to create a missile cruiser?

Spoiler

The Tyrant-class, currently WIP.

tyrant15.jpg

tyrant18.jpg

Stalin died of envy.

Edited by DDE