What funny/interesting thing happened in your life today?

Ultimate Steve

9 hours ago, DDE said:

Somebody commissioned Ansel Hsiao to create a 3D missile cruiser. Now, Ansel Hsiao is a freelancer that works (worked?) mostly for the old Star Wars technical manuals.

Hide contents

This, for example, is the most detailed model of a Gen 1 ISD to date, so you know this is the man to go for grizzly starships

isd2_122.jpg

So what would happen if someone asked him to create a missile cruiser?

Hide contents

The Tyrant-class, currently WIP.

tyrant15.jpg

tyrant18.jpg

Stalin died of envy.

It always seemed to me that the Star Wars capital ships, for as large as they were, were a little short on armament. Historic battleships had very large, visible weapons, and most science fiction/fantasy franchises have continued that idea. Look at most manga series, for example. In Traveller, for another example, the big warships had spinal-mount weapons. They basically built the ship around one big weapon, such as a particle accelerator, and then added secondary weapons on top of that. But Star Wars? Where are the guns?

=====================================================

So, this weekend was more car maintenance. (Man, my wife puts a lot of miles on her car.) It was the big 210,000 mile maintenance, so I got to do:

• Replace Timing Belt
  • Replace Serpentine Belt
  • Replace Spark Plugs
  • Replace Water Pump
  • Flush and Replace Coolant
  • Engine Oil and Filter Change
  • Change Transmission Fluid
  • Change Transfer Case Oil
  • Change Rear Differential Oil

I'm exhausted. And I managed to rip the tip off of my left index finger, so typing is a pain in the keister right now.

Edited by TheSaint

26 minutes ago, TheSaint said:

It always seemed to me that the Star Wars capital ships, for as large as they were, were a little short on armament. Historic battleships had very large, visible weapons, and most science fiction/fantasy franchises have continued that idea. Look at most manga series, for example. In Traveller, for another example, the big warships had spinal-mount weapons. They basically built the ship around one big weapon, such as a particle accelerator, and then added secondary weapons on top of that. But Star Wars? Where"re the guns?

True. And as you can see, Ansel is working very hard on fixing that. His ISD looks a bit more like a seagoing battleship now with all the tirrets, but ultimately SW ships tend to have a large number of “main” guns. In our case we’re talking about eight octuple mounts with dozens of gigatons per each shot.

Spoiler

isd2_144.jpg

isd2_140.jpg

isd2_141.jpg

isd2_139.jpg

On top of that, the Star Destroyer is in the bottom rung of Imperial capitals, as per the EU.

Spoiler

2wp0xew.jpg

And here it’s third from the top:

orthos1.jpg

Disclaimer: only some of those are canon

I like what he’s been doing with small combatants:

ff42.jpg

dart54.jpg

But my favourite remains the canon ISD-lite, the Procursator, and precisely for the reason you complain about:

proc35.jpg

proc20.jpg

I think it’s easily explained by the original model designers not having a coherent plan - the Star Destroyer used to be a two-seat ship - and the subsequent contributors being even less literate. After all, massive miles-long space warships only became the gold standard pretty recently.

Edited by DDE

1 hour ago, CatastrophicFailure said:

without the snazzy hat

Aww you've gotta have the hat, that's must.  We should take up a collection and get you one!

Hey, it's only $42.40!
https://www.galls.com/midway-cap-co-8-point-polyester-duty-hat?PMSRCE=GAPLA&gclid=EAIaIQobChMIyrjUxpWy4AIVhSaGCh0y5gd9EAQYAyABEgL0GPD_BwE

We can even find a badge for your hat too!...
https://www.google.com/search?q=bus+driver+hat+badge&source=lnms&tbm=isch&sa=X&ved=0ahUKEwjVnbKglrLgAhURxVkKHZt4BbgQ_AUIDygC&biw=1536&bih=732

You could re-start a trend! :cool:

Today during physics:

Spoiler

- Realized I had a thing to do

- Did thing

- Announcement came over speakers to keep kids in class

- Coach wouldn't let anyone go to the bathroom until the drug dog came

- People started asking stupid questions

- Talking about the AAF and the upcoming basketball game

- Kids get more desperate to go to the bathroom

- All of a sudden the two guys in front of me start trying to figure out the life story of Coach by doing what I believe to be a background search

- Half the class still begging to go to the restroom

- Drug dog comes

-  We're forced outside

- All of a sudden people start cracking fat jokes at one of our linemen (who takes it really hilariously might I add)

- Finally done

- Kids ask assistant principal if we can go

- Principal says yes

- Coach hears no

- Kids get more desperate

- Outright begging at this point

- Kids now forced to play "The Game," where they must: Guess a number from 1-1000, must be within 20. Coach types it in on a calculator beforehand.

- Some girl actually gets it right as one kid complains about something like either a UTI or a stretched bladder

- The game goes on

- I come up with an idea

- Use the school email to send out the following hostage message to the entire school: "This is from the students in Coach [Teacher]'s Classroom. He is holding us from going to the bathroom without playing a sadistic game. Please alert the authorities that these conditions of forced group punishment and lack of human rights are against the laws of the Geneva Convention drafted in 1949 in Geneva, Switzerland. Please send help."

- I suggest idea

- It's ignored

- Laugh internally as the kids get more and more desperate and I don't need to use the restroom

Spoiler
3 minutes ago, DarkOwl57 said:

until the drug dog came

The drug dog came, looked at everybody with unfocused silly smile, and walked away in silence. What did it want? Why did it come? Nobody knows. 
Stay normal, kids. Don't be like this dog.

8 minutes ago, DarkOwl57 said:

Kids get more desperate to go to the bathroom

8 minutes ago, DarkOwl57 said:

Half the class still begging to go to the restroom

Because the sinks in the bathroom were already occupied by the first half.

9 minutes ago, DarkOwl57 said:

Drug dog comes

Probably forgot something. The memory suffers, too.

10 minutes ago, DarkOwl57 said:

- Principal says yes

- Coach hears no

At last they agreed and let everybody to get the hands down and make two steps from the wall.

13 minutes ago, DarkOwl57 said:

"This is from the students in Coach [Teacher]'s Classroom. He is holding us from going to the bathroom without playing a sadistic game. Please alert the authorities that these conditions of forced group punishment and lack of human rights are against the laws of the Geneva Convention drafted in 1949 in Geneva, Switzerland. Please send help."

"Gathered in bathroom. Can't text more. Call the"

15 minutes ago, DarkOwl57 said:

Laugh internally as the kids get more and more desperate and I don't need to use the restroom

Five minutes later nobody needed any more.
But everybody needed the bathroom.

18 minutes ago, DarkOwl57 said:

Today during physics:

Reveal hidden contents

- Realized I had a thing to do

- Did thing

- Announcement came over speakers to keep kids in class

- Coach wouldn't let anyone go to the bathroom until the drug dog came

- People started asking stupid questions

- Talking about the AAF and the upcoming basketball game

- Kids get more desperate to go to the bathroom

- All of a sudden the two guys in front of me start trying to figure out the life story of Coach by doing what I believe to be a background search

- Half the class still begging to go to the restroom

- Drug dog comes

-  We're forced outside

- All of a sudden people start cracking fat jokes at one of our linemen (who takes it really hilariously might I add)

- Finally done

- Principal says yes

- Coach hears no

- Kids get more desperate

- Outright begging at this point

- Kids now forced to play "The Game," where they must: Guess a number from 1-1000, must be within 20. Coach types it in on a calculator beforehand.

- Some girl actually gets it right as one kid complains about something like either a UTI or a stretched bladder

- The game goes on

- I come up with an idea

- Use the school email to send out the following hostage message to the entire school: "This is from the students in Coach [Teacher]'s Classroom. He is holding us from going to the bathroom without playing a sadistic game. Please alert the authorities that these conditions of forced group punishment and lack of human rights are against the laws of the Geneva Convention drafted in 1949 in Geneva, Switzerland. Please send help."

- I suggest idea

- It's ignored

- Laugh internally as the kids get more and more desperate and I don't need to use the restroom

And school administrators across the nation sit up nights trying to figure out why so many people are homeschooling their kids.... :rolleyes:

2/11/2019     PETITION FOR DIVORCE GRANTED            
2/11/2019     JUDGMENT RENDERED BY COURT AFTER TRIAL (NON-JURY)            

And it only cost eight grand, 40% of my IRA, and the 42" Samsung Smart TV.

Who the hell is petty enough to demand custody of the godsdamn television?!?

Oh, right.  She is.

Woke up to a Charlie horse. :huh: One of those paralyzing, mind-staggering, brings-the-Rest-of-the-nervous-system-along-with-it monsters that leaves you twitching and screaming and utterly unable to actually do any of the known things to relieve it until your wife is also screaming, convinced you’re dyng, and at that point it’s starting to sound more and more appealing. 

And you’re entirely out of bananas. 

*pokes @Vanamonde with a stick* stickpoke.gif

I've learned that Physics is my new favorite class. Today's discussion:

- Our coach got to chill with President Bush in Crawford, Texas

- How long would it take to go from one corner of the US to the other in a straight line

- How much would it cost to uber from West Texas to Venice Beach, LA? (The answer: $2,197 if you take regular Uber, $4,200 if you take Uber XL)

- How to do fingertip pushups if you don't have fingertips (the guy has them)

- What's the difference between a passport and a visa? (Passport: ~2-week stay. Visa: Over two weeks)

- Oh, and some mumbo-jumbo about sound waves...

4 minutes ago, DarkOwl57 said:

- Our coach got to chill with President Bush in Crawford, Texas

One of my best friends from high school lives in Texas now. Whenever I email him I always sign off with, "Say, 'Hi,' to 43 for me when you see him at the Kwik-E-Mart." :D

One of my friends on Facebook was laughing about the fact that she's gotten old enough that she has to have her kids fix her computer for her. Oh, when I retire, I am having my kids fix all my computer problems. Every. Damn. Time. So freaking tired of fixing computers.

My Dad was laughing out REALLY loud. "HAhaHA!!! It was not the Thiosulphate Pentahydrate, it was the Hexametaphosphate!!" He was talking to one of his colleagues over the phone.

After he was done with the phone call, I could not hold myself back and asked him what the joke was. He just said it was grown up stuff, I won't understand.

I looked up those terms in Google, but couldn't really find what was that funny...