What funny/interesting thing happened in your life today?

Ultimate Steve

Well, not today, but quite recently, we discovered that our beehive didn’t survive.;.; Everything had been looking great until we got this extended February cold snap. There’s still snow on the ground in places, that just doesn’t happen here. When we opened the hive the other day to check it, we found a pitiful cluster of not-entirely-dead-yet cold-stupored bees on an empty frame, many of them still up to their little bee-butts in cells trying to lick the last dregs of honey from the bottom.

Frustrating thing is, there was plenty of honey (and a mostly full feeder) in frames on either side, but when the cluster gets small enough and the weather cold enough, they just can’t cross between the frames. 

Me: *Talking with my coach about college and stuff*
Coach: "Yeah, I'd say that [Texas] Tech is a good place to go for engineering stuff."

M: "Well I was actually thinking being a teacher would be kind of a cool job to have."
C: "No, don't be a teacher."
M: "What? Why?"
C: "They don't pay you nearly enough for the crap we have to deal with..."

@adsii1970 This true?

29 minutes ago, DarkOwl57 said:

Coach: "Yeah, I'd say that [Texas] Tech is a good place to go for engineering stuff."

M: "Well I was actually thinking being a teacher would be kind of a cool job to have."

@adsii1970 This true?

Eh. I know several people who are teachers. They don't do it to get rich. If you love teaching, be a teacher. (But have a Plan B in case you don't.)

1 hour ago, DarkOwl57 said:

@adsii1970 This true?

You teach because you're driven / compelled to teach.  If you're looking to make money, do something else.

Edited by LordFerret

8 hours ago, DarkOwl57 said:

@adsii1970 This true?

To be honest, it depends and let me explain to you why...

Yes, being a teacher or any level of educator for that matter does not pay well. You'll never be regarded as an "expert" in your field or even be remembered for the hours you sacrifice of your own time to help your students. BUT...

There is a huge reward when you see the spark hit a student - their "eureka" moment when something you've said has triggered something in their mind. For me, it happens at least twice a semester and sometimes it is the same student. Now that's very rewarding and no paycheck bonus could ever replace its value.

If you're going into education to get rich, the money isn't there. If you're going into education to make a difference, then you'll be fine as long as you remember that not every student you have will ever have an "eureka" moment in their entire life. This semester I am teaching 173 students. I can safely expect to have five of those moments. And as I said, they make the lack of pay and all the crap you have to deal with worth it.

Spoiler
16 hours ago, adsii1970 said:

the spark hit a student 

16 hours ago, adsii1970 said:

This semester I am teaching 173 students. I can safely expect to have five of those moments.

So...

Spoiler

Same rare.

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcSpIKqhygS1KgGY5aleyi1

For the first time in 13 years of wearing contacts, I finally managed to actually tear one.  Roughly 1.5mm in from the edge.

This may have happened while I was wearing it.  At least, I didn't see it when I put them in this morning, and it didn't start bothering me until after noon.  I took it out, rinsed it, and actually stuck it back in since I for some reason don't have an emergency set in my desk at work.

1 minute ago, Geonovast said:

For the first time in 13 years of wearing contacts, I finally managed to actually tear one.  Roughly 1.5mm in from the edge.

This may have happened while I was wearing it.  At least, I didn't see it when I put them in this morning, and it didn't start bothering me until after noon.  I took it out, rinsed it, and actually stuck it back in since I for some reason don't have an emergency set in my desk at work.

Bet you'll consider doing that now... :)

1 hour ago, guesswho2778 said:

sorry i was talking about my day

No biggie. I misunderstood. It's all good...

What funny thing happened to me today? I woke up after seven straight hours of sleeping. For an insomniac, that's like fantastic!

53 minutes ago, adsii1970 said:

No biggie. I misunderstood. It's all good...

What funny thing happened to me today? I woke up after seven straight hours of sleeping. For an insomniac, that's like fantastic!

Have you tried a weighted blanket? I don't know much about them myself, but I've heard that they can help with insomnia.

2 hours ago, adsii1970 said:

Would it be a Rule 2.2 violation to suggest a prescription sleep aid administered under the supervision of a medical professional?

1 hour ago, LordFerret said:

??? Will Kevin and Fred be in it?

No, Fred was in #2, but neither after that. Oddly, "Burt" (Gun Guy) has really leant into it! He's in every one.

Tremors_Michael_Gross.jpg?fit=1200,675&s

Edited by p1t1o