What funny/interesting thing happened in your life today?

Ultimate Steve

10 hours ago, Geonovast said:

Stuck an SSD in my wife's computer.

She doesn't care, but I'm happy.  SSDs for everyone!

Keep it in for a month or two, then clone it to her old HDD, replace HDD, take our SSD and see how she likes it.

9 hours ago, Shpaget said:

Keep it in for a month or two, then clone it to her old HDD, replace HDD, take our SSD and see how she likes it.

Eh, her old HDD is actually mounted as /home, so it's still being used.

I really wanted to do an OS reinstall on it (going from LM 18 to 18.3, and I'm not a fan of OS version upgrades), so I figured I'd grab a little m.2 Sata SSD for the OS while I was at it since they're so cheap now.

On 5/30/2019 at 6:31 AM, Shmauck said:

RASDzJm.jpg

I am going to see Charlie M. Duke today, under the Buran. 

Where is that?

Oh yeah, yesterday I finished my third and final year in Band camp. To bad it was my last year. I had Tony's (a seasoning) put on my bunk, and someone stole my old pair of Brooks.

On 5/7/2019 at 4:12 AM, Shpaget said:

The project I'm working on required more desk space than I had on my desk, so I had to do something about it.

Before:

nbsCgul.jpg

About an hour later:

kCquqvL.jpg

Now I no longer know where all my stuff is.

Good news is, the desk is back on track to achieve its natural look, shouldn't take more than a few days.

What CCR song are you listening to in the pictures? It better be Fortunate Son, ah, now that is a GOOD song.

3 hours ago, Aperture Science said:

Then one week passes and the desk's back to how it was before

I refer to looking for stuff as "desk archeology".  I can tell how old something is by the layer I find it in.

On ‎6‎/‎3‎/‎2019 at 12:11 AM, Mikenike said:

Where is that?

Here: https://speyer.technik-museum.de/en/

The Technikmuseum Speyer about one hour south of Frankfurt, Germany has the OK-2M / OK-GLI prototype of the Buran orbiter which was used for atmospheric flight tests. 

Edited by Shmauck

23 minutes ago, Mikenike said:

I always wanted to go to Frankfurt, because of the worlds largest HO scale train layout,

That's in Hamburg.

But Speyer is great anyway.

Speaking of museums and kids...

As I said in the model train thread, we are having an exhibition which is held in the local technical museum. It's the museum I've been to at least 20 times, but never got the chance to visit the mine (the thing where they dig up things, not the blowy upy thingy) they have (a simulation of course). The mine is usually closed for the public and available only with a museum tour guide, and I never got to enter it.

Today I decided to take a stroll through the museum and got to tag along with a group of ten year olds for a tour of the mine. It's much bigger than I expected, roughly 300 meters of narrow tunnels.

I also tagged along with another group for a planetarium show, another part of the museum available only with tour. I've been there before, but it's always nice to see it again.

There's one more thing which is usually closed to general public I need to see - a tiny (15 meter long) 4 crew submarine from WWII. Since these days I get to talk with museum staff on daily basis, I have a promise they'll let me in before our exhibition ends.

Today, I got stabbed by a professional people stabber, who stabbed me with dead fragments of a hideous disease that will mount a fake attack on my body to train it up so I can defend against real future invasions.

In other words, I got a shot.

3 hours ago, Ultimate Steve said:

Today, I got stabbed by a professional people stabber, who stabbed me with dead fragments of a hideous disease that will mount a fake attack on my body to train it up so I can defend against real future invasions.

In other words, I got a shot.

That is.... an accurate way of describing it.

Strange, but also technically accurate. Should include though that people stabbing is not the only job of that person, probably has other roles too.

6 minutes ago, qzgy said:

That is.... an accurate way of describing it.

Strange, but also technically accurate. Should include though that people stabbing is not the only job of that person, probably has other roles too.

They are more than that, yes, But can you deny that part of their job is professionally stabbing people?

Just found a way to access my IT department's folder on my laptop. The amount of folders and everything...

Keyloggers

Password randomizer

Encryption

Denial scripts

This is EXTREMELY interesting

Yesterday I finally gave in and started reading the Culture series by Iain M. Banks.

So far so good. I'm at the part where that one guy says:

Come here I'm going to eat you. I'm bigger than you I'm higher on the food chain. Get in my belly!

— Fat stand-up guy

Oh wait, wrong guy... Never mind, move along.