What funny/interesting thing happened in your life today?

Ultimate Steve

Today was one of the most overwhelmingly stressful days ever, between driving in DC, PARKING in DC (I reserved parking online, but didn't know it was valet until I got there, so that was new.), and walking around The National Mall with an autistic 9 year old who was grumpy the whole time and had no less than 4 meltdowns.

But I got to see this.

68fDSC0007.jpg

And got to hang out under Apollo-Soyuz for a bit.

DSC00016.jpg

The only other museum we had an opportunity to visit was the Museum Of Natural History, which wasn't all that exciting.

I can't wait to get out of this town.

1 hour ago, Geonovast said:

I can't wait to get out of this town.

My wife and I are starting preliminary plans for another two-week cross-country road trip for next year, with a one-week stay in DC being the highlight. So I called my buddy who spent four years working in DC for some advice. The first words out of his mouth: "Don't go in August. In fact, if you can avoid going at any time during the summer, do so." His suggestion was actually to go in the dead of winter, January or February. Freezing cold and snow keeps all the tourists away. But driving across the country in freezing cold and snow didn't seem like my idea of a good time. (And we're hoping to stop at Cedar Point for a roller coaster day, which will definitely not be open in February.) We're thinking end-of-September-ish now.

1 hour ago, TheSaint said:

Don't go in August. In fact, if you can avoid going at any time during the summer, do so

Normally I would have, but timing was out of our control, since this trip was set around my wife's uncle being buried in Arlington.  I stupidly got starry-eyed for Discovery, and decided to turn it into a vacation, not thinking about what the driving situation would be like.  It's impossible to park anywhere in this town without paying out the nose for the privilege - if you can even find a spot.

Of course, now that I've seen one space shuttle.... I must see them all.  Atlantis will be when I manage to get down to FL for a F9(or FH) launch - which I obliviously have to do soon before they stop flying the things.  Endeavour is just a few miles from where my brother is in LA, so that will be grouped with a visit with him and his super-expensive camera.  I'll also rope him into a trip to SpaceX, to get a nice close look at B1019. Pathfinder will likely happen on the drive down to FL.  Enterprise will be the tricky one.  I will not drive in New York City.

5 hours ago, Geonovast said:

Normally I would have, but timing was out of our control, since this trip was set around my wife's uncle being buried in Arlington.  I stupidly got starry-eyed for Discovery, and decided to turn it into a vacation, not thinking about what the driving situation would be like.  It's impossible to park anywhere in this town without paying out the nose for the privilege - if you can even find a spot.

Of course, now that I've seen one space shuttle.... I must see them all.  Atlantis will be when I manage to get down to FL for a F9(or FH) launch - which I obliviously have to do soon before they stop flying the things.  Endeavour is just a few miles from where my brother is in LA, so that will be grouped with a visit with him and his super-expensive camera.  I'll also rope him into a trip to SpaceX, to get a nice close look at B1019. Pathfinder will likely happen on the drive down to FL.  Enterprise will be the tricky one.  I will not drive in New York City.

If this trip works out as planned we'll see two shuttles: Discovery in DC and Atlantis in Florida. Already saw Endeavour a couple of years ago. Saw Enterprise many many moons ago, when it was on display at an air show in California, just after the ALT had finished.

I drove in New York last year on our last road trip. It was...exhilarating.... :o:D

14 hours ago, JERONIMO said:

Killed a fly from the first attempted, does it count?

It doesn't count here

But it counts to get an award somewhere else!

What you did is a first-time event! No one in history witnessed the death of a fly killed by a human first try!

Now get out there and claim your reward!

It rained all the day around here... But, I added one more 1/400 member to my little "family" on display :D

TKMHpxW.jpg

w9Zt5nz.jpg

Discovery and Enterprise still missing, but I will add them when I had the funds for :)

Edited by XB-70A
Confused OV-103 with 105...

17 minutes ago, XB-70A said:

I added one more 1/400 member to my little "family" on display

That reminds me that I have a model lurking around here somewhere that I need to get back to one of these days.

Are you going to do Enterprise on the SCA, since the rest are mounted on their launchers?

15 hours ago, razark said:

That reminds me that I have a model lurking around here somewhere that I need to get back to one of these days.

Me as well... I have a 1:144 Columbia model by Revell in its original package, and for almost ten years now :( 

16 hours ago, razark said:

Are you going to do Enterprise on the SCA, since the rest are mounted on their launchers?

Wasn't it the model which had a side allowing to look "inside" the carrier and Enterprise?

I tried one of those new roomy VR experience places today. It was pretty fun with the props and moving between rooms, infiltrating an Imperial base near Vader's castle on Mustafar...Hard to describe, but I'm really excited for how this sort of thing will develop.

15 hours ago, cubinator said:

I tried one of those new roomy VR experience places today. It was pretty fun with the props and moving between rooms, infiltrating an Imperial base near Vader's castle on Mustafar...Hard to describe, but I'm really excited for how this sort of thing will develop.

It won’t be long before we have a proper holodeck :D

On 7/27/2019 at 9:30 AM, XB-70A said:

I have a 1:144 Columbia model by Revell in its original package, and for almost ten years now :( 

I don't know the scale, but I have a launchable stack model, with a parachute for the ET/SRBs and a glide-back orbiter.  I've had it for a while, I remember thinking that I'd finish it before the final STS flight at one time.

On 7/27/2019 at 9:30 AM, XB-70A said:

Wasn't it the model which had a side allowing to look "inside" the carrier and Enterprise? 

I don't know what's out there now.  All I remember is that I had the stack on the MLP and my sister had an orbiter on the SCA. 

But that's more than three decades ago.  The SCA was in American Airlines colors.

Finnaly found the reason of the "destroyer of servers" bug in my bot

Screenshot of the bug:

Spoiler

77HqPAf.png

I found the bug when testing with the "msg.content.includes" command.(what it does is that is searches for the worlds i programed it too look for in phrases) With the spanish trudaction and OH MY GOD MY STUPIDITY IS REACHING NEW LEVELS!

So

My bot was programed to search for the line "Hola!"(Hi) and then it responded with:Hola!,que tal(Hi!,how are you?).....So you might be seeing the problem here....

It responds correctly until my bot finds in its own respond the world "Hola!" so it keeps spamming the same response over and over with out an ending

Spoiler

4xrg33i.png

This is what happend before it was programed to respond with "Alola!" when someone writes "Alola!" So it started spamming

(Good thing this was in a PM because if it was on my server my friend would have killed me XD)

So lesson learned never make a bot respond with the same message as the one its looking for 

EDIT:

Spoiler

vaVW3R0.png

Problem half fixed XD

Edited by KerbolExplorer

49 minutes ago, KerbolExplorer said:

now to see how I do that...

I don't know a thing about JavaScript, but I'm sure it has some sort of string compare function somewhere. Even C has strcmp() and it doesn't explicitly have strings, and I cannot imagine Discord doesn't have a function that returns the sender's name.
If the comparison determines the strings to be identical you don't send a message (and immediately return?), else you  send the appropriate message.

Of course, given that I'm just learning C and have never worked with anything outside Notepad++ and the console I don't know how much more complicated it actually is.