What funny/interesting thing happened in your life today?

Ultimate Steve

3 minutes ago, tater said:

Went next door this afternoon and helped my friend pull the oil pan on his Duesenberg Model X.

Didn't hurt that he put a lift in his garage... dang.

Nice!

On 7/31/2019 at 8:46 AM, Geonovast said:

I've seen Iron Man 2 at least a dozen times, as it's one of my favorite of the MCU, but I didn't find out until yesterday that Elon Musk was in it.:huh:

screen-shot-2017-12-05-at-94554-ampng.pn

Even better, Tony compliments Elon on his Merlin engines!

================

Today I found a 9x9 Rubik's Cube in a cabinet at work, completely disassembled. I took it home and completely reassembled it. Miraculously, none of the pieces were missing so I'm going to find out how long it takes to solve a 9x9 tonight!

Getting closer to dropping the hammer, here, so went to a Tesla store today to ask some questions— and sit the other models there’s no way we’ll ever afford.

Wife and I were both shocked to discover we don’t like the Model S at all. :blink: It’s a gorgeous car, but the roof line is just way too low, even she had trouble getting in and out and finally understands why I have so much trouble getting in and out of cars. Then once inside the whole thing just felt cramped, not at all like the Model 3. Better door handles tho.

The Model X, now, that I could get used to. And once you realize there’s no roof it’s ridiculously easy to get into the back seats with those funky doors. Never been in a $100,000 car before, but it didn’t really feel like one. But not in a bad way, just in a “not a Rolls Royce” kinda way. 

...wonder how much overtime I’d have to work... I’ve got a spare kidney I could maybe part with too...

Well, so this happens today...

https://english.kontan.co.id/news/indonesia-capital-neighboring-provinces-in-java-hit-by-major-power-blackout

Has been going on since 11.50 UTC+7 (now as I am composing this post it's 16.10 UTC+7). Western half of Java seems to have been in near-total blackout, from West Java province to DKI Jakarta and Banten province, along with western parts of Central Java province. Took me a fortune to be able to post this. Telephone lines are disrupted, mobile networks are almost entirely down, electric trains stopped, traffic lights shut down, tollbooths (which now uses ETC) disrupted.

And I'm guessing very well we never have backups for this since it has been down for 4 hours.

Great.

UPDATE : Power has thankfully been restored to where I live as of 18.30 UTC+7.

Edited by YNM
clarified stuff.

2 hours ago, CatastrophicFailure said:

Never been in a $100,000 car before, but it didn’t really feel like one. But not in a bad way, just in a “not a Rolls Royce” kinda way. 

So, you decided to keep using your Royce until the next Tesla model.

@YNM Any word on a cause? Yeesh. :wacko: Glad it’s back up. 

8 hours ago, kerbiloid said:

So, you decided to keep using your Royce until the next Tesla model.

Strange thing to think, right? But it wasn’t all, like... stuffy and such. It felt kinda like an Apple on wheels... simple, functional... and really expensive. 

4 hours ago, CatastrophicFailure said:

Any word on a cause? Yeesh. :wacko: Glad it’s back up. 

Apparently the one main east-west transmission line of Java Island was cut off somewhere in Central Java, and the resulting load imbalance on the western half of the network has tripped most (if not all) of the generating stations in the western half of the island (I kept hearing them referring to "damaged ground steel wire" which I assume is the equivalent of fuses for smaller installations*). Took them some time to figure things out since everything falls out of the sky and coordination was extremely difficult (really amusing to hear radio people kept failing to call anyone they wanted to have a word from !), but in the end starting from 17.00 UTC+7 yesterday some localized network has had power restored (I heard on the radio Bandung was among the first to be restored by that time). They managed to put some of the largest coal power plants back on by then.

As of now everything has returned back on. Let's hope there wasn't much that was damaged. Disruptions seems to be likely to continue as they inspect and repair the damages.

Honestly, now I keep thinking of the fact "there wasn't a natural disaster, imagine if there was one !".

* EDIT : Upon further reading, "ground steel wire" is the 'neutral' return wire on transmission lines. So apparently that got disrupted and it leads to far more disruptions.

Still, it's chilling to think about if the disruption was caused by some terible natural disaster... we'd be going on days by now.

Edited by YNM

5 hours ago, YNM said:

Honestly, now I keep thinking of the fact "there wasn't a natural disaster, imagine if there was one !".

It’s no fun, that’s for sure. :( We had a similar thing last fall, nasty windstorm took out the main transmission lines up north, and the whole island was in the dark for a time. We were without juice for a couple of days, and some places were out for over a week. Always keep a cache of emergency supplies— water, nonperishable food, basic clothes— and if you possibly can, a generator. Even a small gennie can make an outage much much more tolerable.

1 hour ago, CatastrophicFailure said:

... Had a similar thing last fall, nasty windstorm took out the main transmission lines up north, and the whole island was in the dark for a time. We were without juice for a couple of days, and some places were out for over a week. ...

Our disasters are usually more of the landslide/flooding/eruption/earthquake/tsunami kinda stuff, which honestly is really bad. Java Island is home to 150 million people as well, with densities averaged on the whole island reaching 1,100 people/sq km, so it doesn't help much...

Not sure where to store a generator in our 15x9 m plot !

While cycling to work I say a little baby gull. It was making cute sounds. These kind of things always make my day!
As annoying the adult gulls are, my heart melts when I see the little ones. :wub:

The breeding season is almost over here, but there are always some latecomers. I don't mind...

20 hours ago, YNM said:

Our disasters are usually more of the landslide/flooding/eruption/earthquake/tsunami kinda stuff

You've almost got natural disaster bingo there! Honestly not much more to add apart from wildfires (given the climate, blizzards and tornadoes seem unlikely).