What funny/interesting thing happened in your life today?

Ultimate Steve

1 hour ago, CatastrophicFailure said:

In Religion class? I’m curious to know more context here.

Last day of term, only 5 of us showed up to the class

We had no work and my best guess is that the teacher just decided to let us watch a movie

It was.. ahem... 

A surprise to be sure, but a welcome one

1 hour ago, qzgy said:

Ooooh shiiiiny. How is it like driving wise? 

Concerningly addictive. :cool: It’s still got that weird Tesla headrest-angle thing, but it’s roomy and upright like a proper driving experience should be. -_- The Model 3 is an awesome ride but it’s a bit cramped for me, and I distinctly remember being behind a Subaru Crosstrek the other day and looking up at the license plate. I’d say the X is about the perfect height for me, no sitting down, no climbing up, but it still handles like a car (not entirely a bad thing), it’ll whip thru turns quicker than it feels it should be able to with that low center of mass, but you definitely feel all that mass too. Rides much better as well. And I prefer having some info directly in front instead of the 3’s center screen. 

That being said, even with the sci-fi automatic doors and what not, it’s obvious the 3 is a much more advanced design. This X is a late-2016 with the 2.0 Autopilot hardware, vs the 3’s 3.0, it feels more uncertain and squirrelly on country two-lanes. It also charges slower, only 20mph on the same mobile charger plugged into a 50-amp welder outlet that gives the 3 30mph. 

Got to try one or those pay-per-use J1772 public chargers just for the heck of it today. Sat there for a half hour and got a lousy 7 miles. Went up the street to the Supercharger and gained nearly a hundred miles in about 20 minutes. I dunno how folks with non-Tesla EVs manage, that would be a deal breaker if that’s the best we could do. 

Now, I’d love it if they ditched the awesome-but-only-slightly-practical robodoors and built a simpler SUV from the same “shell” for $30 or $40 thousand less. 

Still have a kidney I don’t need. What’s the going price on a nice, fresh spleen these days? Could prolly do without that, what’s a spleen even do, anyway?

1 hour ago, The_Cat_In_Space said:

Last day of term, only 5 of us showed up to the class

We had no work and my best guess is that the teacher just decided to let us watch a movie

It was.. ahem... 

A surprise to be sure, but a welcome one

Ah so. :( I was hoping it was been some deep, esoteric deconstruction of Eastern mysticism in the Old West or something. 

7 minutes ago, DarkOwl57 said:

So I'm actually curious about how many people showed up to the Area 51 Raid... If there's any updates, I'd love to hear them!

I can't deny part of me wishes I could be there...
Not to participate. But I would love to sit on the side-lines, maybe set up a tent and a lounge chair, make some pop-corn, and then sit back and watch the fun... lol...

Back on topic... We seem to have been adopted by a couple new cats... This is Rocket and Ninja.

ZDVlwAy.jpg

1 hour ago, Just Jim said:

I can't deny part of me wishes I could be there...
Not to participate. But I would love to sit on the side-lines, maybe set up a tent and a lounge chair, make some pop-corn, and then sit back and watch the fun... lol...

One of my friends on FB was on their page, volunteering to stand security for them. He was very tongue-in-cheek.

I fixed my typewriter!

The problem I had was that uppercase letters were put on the paper a little to high up, by about half a character in fact. Turns out that a tiny piece of something got stuck in an inconveniant place and prevented the carriage from moving up completely!

Spoiler

Short explanation of how typewriters can write uppercase and lowercase (in case you need it):

Mechanical typewriters work by pushing a plate with the desired character onto the paper. Well, actually there's a ribbon with ink between them, so the plate pushes the right form into the ink and thus onto the paper. After that, the carriage is moved one character width to the left to allow the next letter to be typed (aside from dead keys, which print things like accents, but don't advance the carriage to allow e.g. á or ò to be typed. Similar to how it works now, except that the accent is already there when the letter is pressed).

The plates are two characters big. At the bottom there are all lowercase letters as well as some additional characters like hyphens and periods, etc. This is the section of the plate that normally hits the ribbon.
The uppercase letters are at the top of the plate and normally don't come in contact with the ink, unless you press the shift key to shift the carriage up and push the ribbon into the uppercase range. So when you press a key while holding down shift, the upper section would hit the ribbon (and thus the paper) instead - an uppercase character is written.

That's where the shift key actually got its name from. Another example is capslock - on my typewriter there is a little hook on the key that locks the shift key in place. Another thing from that time that we still use today is the standard QUERTY/QUERTZ key arrangement.

Edited by Delay

On 9/20/2019 at 5:07 AM, KSK said:

@CatastrophicFailure

I’d sell something non-essential like a lung or chunk of intestine. Hang on to your spleen - I know I’m quite attached to mine.

Although, for a Tesla collection...

I had the strangest dream last night....

Z6ShmJo.gif

Spoiler

Rc3GJYG.jpg

Spoiler

Yes, this car dances. Your move, Mercedes. -_-

1 hour ago, CatastrophicFailure said:

I had the strangest dream last night....

Scene: Tesla Board Meeting
Designer: "The latest model is having some issues with the test markets; it's not... exciting enough. Any suggestions?"
*silence*

All of a sudden, a janitor walks past, jamming out to his music. 

Designer: *Snaps fingers* "Guys I have the best idea ever."

I was way too tired to post it earlier, but one of my dreams became reality yesterday's night when I went to see...

DEEP PURPLE!

jSnG6ax.jpg

Wk1KtRC.jpg

Playing Highway Star as the intro for almost 8 minutes!

I was pretty impressed to see how well Paice is still drumming after all those years, and Gillan still has his particular voice. It was just incredible.

AhLQz21.jpg

W7MWM4H.jpg

I will never forget that night, for sure!

5 minutes ago, StupidAndy said:

my school blocked wikipedia on the wifi for some reason

tetris is fine, coolmathgames is fine, youtube is (mostly) fine

but dont you DARE try to learn!

Oof. Some days I learn more browsing Wikipedia during class than I do from the actual class.

17 hours ago, StupidAndy said:

my school blocked wikipedia on the wifi for some reason

tetris is fine, coolmathgames is fine, youtube is (mostly) fine

but dont you DARE try to learn!

i would like to see the reason behind blocking wikipedia it doesn't make any sense in a school

Edited by KerbolExplorer