What funny/interesting thing happened in your life today?

Ultimate Steve

8 hours ago, KerbolExplorer said:

i would like to see the reason behind blocking wikipedia it doesn't make any sense in a school

Well, Wikipedia really is inaccurate - I've made a joke edit that is absolutely untrue there a few months back, it's still standing despite there being moderators and all. There's gonna be some funny reactions if someone copies and pastes that for their school project.

However, blocking it is pointless. There's no real point in trying to get high schoolers to look up real literature just for an essay about pteridophytes, and it's not like people don't have internet at home where they can access it freely. Leave real research for college.

Edited by Guest

17 hours ago, KerbolExplorer said:

i would like to see the reason behind blocking wikipedia it doesn't make any sense in a school

I've had teachers that would immediately fail a paper if wikipedia was cited.  Wikipedia is a good place to find real sources, but the information that's on wikipedia should always be corroborated.   Blocking may be a bit extreme, but they may have had to do that if they had a problem with people just pulling information from wiki without checking it.

12 hours ago, Ultimate Steve said:

Today my school went into lockdown because they thought that there might have been a shooter. It turned out to be the piano tuner entering through a back door without checking in at the office.

That's scary, but I can appreciate their reaction.  Worst that ever happened to me was a (fake)bomb threat, and I was actually in a nearby building taking one of those standardized tests when it happened.

I agree Wikipedia should be blocked in schools, because it’s tempting and inaccurate. But hopefully there’s access to a reputable encyclopedia website. Granted, there’s always home access, but that should be for edutainment. 

My stepdaughter once failed an essay because a large part of it was copy/pasted from Wikipedia. Like, at least try to regurgitate the information into your own words!

I once plagiarized a poem from my brother’s yearbook for my own poetry assignment, in another city altogether. Good luck busting me for that!

4 hours ago, CatastrophicFailure said:

Explain yourself...

In-bathroom hydroponics. When Starship flies, everything is ready for Mars.

You see: "atrium"?

A banana-tree growing on the first level of the Martian base atrium, with meter-long bananas (in 0.4 g low gravity), up to the ceiling.

Edited by kerbiloid

Today I went into a relative's basement and felt something very strange. I felt very disoriented and dizzy, I almost felt like I would pass out if I stayed down there. I could only stay a few seconds in any room. When I went upstairs the feeling subsided.

Now, I'm not saying it was ghosts but it was probably some kind of ultrasound. 

3 minutes ago, cubinator said:

Today I went into a relative's basement and felt something very strange. I felt very disoriented and dizzy, I almost felt like I would pass out if I stayed down there. I could only stay a few seconds in any room. When I went upstairs the feeling subsided.

Now, I'm not saying it was ghosts but it was probably some kind of ultrasound. 

Or CO poisoning.

On 10/2/2019 at 4:37 PM, Fraston said:

Because it “nEveR hAs cOrreCT INfoRmatIoN”

On 10/2/2019 at 2:03 AM, Aperture Science said:

Well, Wikipedia really is inaccurate - I've made a joke edit that is absolutely untrue there a few months back, it's still standing despite there being moderators and all. There's gonna be some funny reactions if someone copies and pastes that for their school project.

So I joined a sport-team related discord a couple weeks ago, and created a new game; "The Final Score" (™). Basically, we have to guess the final score of the upcoming game. 3rd closest gets 1 point, 2nd closest gets 2 points, and closest gets 4 points. If you get one half of the score dead-on, (Say you guessed a 10-14 score and the final score was 10-12), then you get 1 bonus point. If you get the full score right (10-14, 10-14), then you get TWO bonus points!

Currently, the series is close, with the top 6 separated by just 2 points. The leader has managed to hang on to his one-point lead (a third-place in week 2 and a win in week 3) despite not scoring a single point in the last two weeks. My plan is that once the playoffs hit, we'll have an actual playoff bracket with the top 10 contestants going head-to-head with each other. 

15 minutes ago, The_Cat_In_Space said:

I learnt that my TV will randomly turn on and off during the night, very scary

I had an Xbox that would do that.  Turned out to be the actual touch buttons on the front causing it.  Does your TV have touch sensitive buttons, or does it have real ones?

Touch sensitive, must've been something that turned it on. But I heard it turn on, looked at it, and it then just turned off, so if something touched the buttons it probably would've just left it on.. Sorta creeped me out 

3 minutes ago, The_Cat_In_Space said:

Touch sensitive, must've been something that turned it on. But I heard it turn on, looked at it, and it then just turned off, so if something touched the buttons it probably would've just left it on.. Sorta creeped me out 

They're here... 

Who's here?

The TV people...

54 minutes ago, adsii1970 said:

It was out of a movie... Poltergeist

Ah, I am very uncultured when it comes to horror movies

Well it took them a year and a half, my method for getting around Youtube restricted mode at school is now patched by simply removing the 'lock restricted mode in this browser' setting.. guess I'll have to find another way.

I'm surprised it took them so long to fix it

1 hour ago, The_Cat_In_Space said:

Well it took them a year and a half, my method for getting around Youtube restricted mode at school is now patched by simply removing the 'lock restricted mode in this browser' setting.. guess I'll have to find another way.

I'm surprised it took them so long to fix it

I like a good mind-bending scary horror movie. I'm not into slasher films.

Well, I graded first exams for a graduate Introduction to American Foreign Policy class. Out of the 14 students, 11 have really great grades (mid-Bs to mid As, with 2 near perfect exams). the other three, well... Let's just leave it at that.

5 hours ago, The_Cat_In_Space said:

I learnt that my TV will randomly turn on and off during the night, very scary

And it's October O.o 

I have a ceiling fan that does this. Creepy as hell. 

3 hours ago, The_Cat_In_Space said:

4 hours ago, adsii1970 said:

It was out of a movie... Poltergeist

Whatever you do, don’t go staring at your bathroom mirror. :0.0:

@adsii1970 will get this.