What funny/interesting thing happened in your life today?

Ultimate Steve

A while back a fallen power line caused a terrible fire. In response, my regional power utility is going to shut off power to as many as 800,000 people for as much as 5 days, because the weather forecast calls for high winds. So because winds might cause a line to fall somewhere which could cause a possible fire, they are intentionally turning off the power to hundreds of thousands of people. And they've been vague about the exact borders of the affected areas, so right now I am one of many people just sitting around waiting to see if I will still have electricity in a couple of hours. And I don't even live out in the boondocks. I live in a large city, miles from anyplace where a wildfire could start. 

Unbelievable. 

36 minutes ago, Vanamonde said:

A while back a fallen power line caused a terrible fire. In response, my regional power utility is going to shut off power to as many as 800,000 people for as much as 5 days, because the weather forecast calls for high winds. So because winds might cause a line to fall somewhere which could cause a possible fire, they are intentionally turning off the power to hundreds of thousands of people. And they've been vague about the exact borders of the affected areas, so right now I am one of many people just sitting around waiting to see if I will still have electricity in a couple of hours. And I don't even live out in the boondocks. I live in a large city, miles from anyplace where a wildfire could start. 

Unbelievable. 

Sounds like you are in the states.

Good luck then! Hope you wont be affected.

2 hours ago, CatastrophicFailure said:

I have a ceiling fan that does this. Creepy as hell. 

At least, *it* is your fan, not enemy. Though...
Does your fan always live on the ceiling?
Do you talk with *it* in the night?
Does *it* get down to the floor and walk around the home?

2 hours ago, CatastrophicFailure said:

Whatever you do, don’t go staring at your bathroom mirror. :0.0:

You're so kind...
But what if the mirror keeps staring at you even when you'd turned around.

11 hours ago, The_Cat_In_Space said:

Touch sensitive, must've been something that turned it on. But I heard it turn on, looked at it, and it then just turned off, so if something touched the buttons it probably would've just left it on.. Sorta creeped me out 

There's a really simple fix for that: Unplug the TV.

If it still jumps on at night then you have good reasons to panic!

11 hours ago, Vanamonde said:

A while back a fallen power line caused a terrible fire. In response, my regional power utility is going to shut off power to as many as 800,000 people for as much as 5 days, because the weather forecast calls for high winds.

68747470733a2f2f73332e616d617a6f6e617773

Time to invest in a gennie before the price gouging starts. :unsure:

ETA: oh dang, I just heard about this on the news, he wern’t kiddin! Not that I thought he was...

What an incredible dangerous and short-sighted response. :huh:

Edited by CatastrophicFailure

13 hours ago, Vanamonde said:

So because winds might cause a line to fall somewhere which could cause a possible fire, they are intentionally turning off the power to hundreds of thousands of people.

This may be a novel idea, but like.. why don't they invest in their infrastructure so that this doesn't happen? That seems like a good idea.

But seems really kinda dumb.

2 hours ago, qzgy said:

This may be a novel idea, but like.. why don't they invest in their infrastructure so that this doesn't happen? That seems like a good idea.

I know, right?

Still have power, so far... 

5 hours ago, qzgy said:

"But, but... the MONEY! Think about the MONEY!"

Seriously, energy companies can be the worst.

So my school had no internet up until about an hour ago, so most classes couldn't function, students were going crazy, basically just general chaos. 

So I'm in my religion and ethics class (basically the easy religion) and the room I am in is actually a larger room split in two for two classrooms. A guy from the other room opens the door at the side to ask me to get one of their friends. I looked inside their room, which was a study of religion class (hard religion where you have to do 1000 word essays and stuff), and found the following:

Students dancing

Students wearing religious attire for no reason

Cringy music

I thought that my class was stupid because we have to create picture books of religious texts...and this is in year 10, 

but I find the SOR class assessment is to reenact scenes from the bible in a multi modal presentation.

Yes, this is what our school calls 'senior work' 

Another thing was that because we had no internet, people began creating their own networks, such as

Skynet Global Defense Network

Yell (swear) For Password

I Broke The Net

McDonalds WiFi

NBN

So now I'm looking forwards to my IT class which is just a complete meme

Today I learned that not all hard drive clicking is bad. Sometimes the head's motion just makes a sound as it jumps from place to place.
Otherwise I'd be quite shocked, considering it's the new drive that makes these noises occasionally.

I really should have bought an SSD, though... They're a lot more expensive, but faster, more resistent and don't make any noises I could get paranoid about!

4 hours ago, Delay said:

Today I learned that not all hard drive clicking is bad. Sometimes the head's motion just makes a sound as it jumps from place to place.

You missed the old days when HD clicking would drown out your speaker. :sticktongue: Could lay down some funky beats treble tracks tho. 

On 10/17/2019 at 5:54 AM, CatastrophicFailure said:

You missed the old days when HD clicking would drown out your ...

Honestly ... i almost jump whenever i access the old HDD in my system to make room on my SSD for a new game ...

• 2 weeks later...
On 10/10/2019 at 11:40 AM, The_Cat_In_Space said:

So my school had no internet up until about an hour ago, so most classes couldn't function, students were going crazy, basically just general chaos. 

So I'm in my religion and ethics class (basically the easy religion) and the room I am in is actually a larger room split in two for two classrooms. A guy from the other room opens the door at the side to ask me to get one of their friends. I looked inside their room, which was a study of religion class (hard religion where you have to do 1000 word essays and stuff), and found the following:

Students dancing

Students wearing religious attire for no reason

Cringy music

I thought that my class was stupid because we have to create picture books of religious texts...and this is in year 10, 

but I find the SOR class assessment is to reenact scenes from the bible in a multi modal presentation.

Yes, this is what our school calls 'senior work' 

Not going to lie, sounds like a fun and easy A. Dancing around like an idiot with majestic, biblical music? Sign me [snip] up.

Edited by James Kerman
redacted by a moderator

1 hour ago, cubinator said:

We have 0 ohm resistors in the rocket lab...

It's called "short circuit".

Or a "too rough measuring tool"

Upd.
Wait...

1 hour ago, cubinator said:

in the rocket lab

It starts sounding scary.

39 minutes ago, Kernel Kraken said:

Dancing around like an idiot with majestic, biblical music?

Maybe they impersonate ancient pagan tribes.

Edited by kerbiloid