What funny/interesting thing happened in your life today?

Ultimate Steve

4 hours ago, kerbiloid said:

They are like Kerbals, but guppies.

At least the eyes are pretty familiar.
Can they smile?

Ummm........y'know I never checked. They get kinda excited when they see food....I guess you call that a "smile".......I guess.....

I watching Scott Manley's videos, then I reading comments and I found someone tells the Earth is flat, NASA is liar or even space is not exist :huh:, but I would like to know why they believe in flat Earth theory when it's wrong...

9 minutes ago, Nantares said:

I watching Scott Manley's videos, then I reading comments and I found someone tells the Earth is flat, NASA is liar or even space is not exist :huh:, but I would like to know why they believe in flat Earth theory when it's wrong...

It's the easy way to feel smart and superior to others, where they may have nothing else - "Everything you have ever learned and built your world around is false. I am the only one who really knows the truth. I am smart, and you all are so dumb you are blind to the obvious."

It's really more of a psychological and social thing, after they ignore the entire natural world. And that is exactly what they do - they ignore, and when presented with evidence that is given by a personal experience or the Earth itself, they skip over it and refuse to acknowledge it, and bring the conversation back to how "you are being brainwashed to NOT investigate." (That is a real quote.) Even though, of course, the Earth itself never lies.

Unlike us, they dislike living in the real, endless, radioactive abyss of space looking at the Earth from above, and prefer to hide in their fictional fairy tail of blue sky, green trees, birds flying above, and lambs dancing around.

The flat ground is a part of their sedative myth, they don't want to admit the obvious: that the Earth is a ball of metal oxides, hot as Sun just in 5000 km right beneath them, and the Sun is a polluted hot ball of protons trying to burn them with UV photons and charged particles, when just an ephemerical and "breathing" layer of ozone and an occasionally appeared magnetic field, chaotically changing its force and polarity, still keep them alive.

It's hard for them to admit that the real world is this weird one, not their local toybox hanging in the endless abyss of radiation and vacuum.

Edited by kerbiloid

40 minutes ago, tater said:

Our young cat (6 mos old?) figured out the dog door.

Hopefully she lives (bobcats, owls, eagles, coyotes, and bears, oh my!).

https://petlifetoday.com/best-electronic-dog-doors/

As long as the cat doesn't follow the dog(s) out. Hopefully she stays close to the dog...

1 hour ago, StrandedonEarth said:

https://petlifetoday.com/best-electronic-dog-doors/

As long as the cat doesn't follow the dog(s) out. Hopefully she stays close to the dog...

Yeah, I'm probably just gonna hope she comes in. We're trying to train her to come for treats when a bell rings. Daytime is fairly safe, overnight is the tricky bit.

On the plus side it snowed today (didn't stick, but it's cold out), so I think she'll prefer the warm inside.

Well it is less funny and maybe only interesting as a cautionary tale ...

Yesterday I went to my dermatoligist and got the good news that it is nothing really, just another genetic disposition i might owe to my mother that makes my skin grow useless stuff sometimes.

As i wanted to spread the news immedeately, i started typing a message ... while walking down the stairs ... so my dumb butt found itself on the floor - on the last step ... which was both an insult and a blessing really, it could have been a sline broken by the steps instead of a bend ankle by my own weight.

Currently in my school's marching band, I play a glockenspiel in the Pit. It was ~30° (f) this morning. Guess what? 

They still made us go outside for practice. Keep in mind, we went from comfortable high 70° averages two weeks ago to below freezing.

Ow.

So on Monday, I ran at Regionals for Cross Country in Lubbock. Last year, there was a massive crowd- over 150 runners and easily over 500 watching. Heat in the 70's (23ºC-ish), no wind, and dry. Didn't do too hot then, but I was expecting to do better this year.

This year, you ask? 34º (1ºC) temperature, cloudy, kinda wet, windy, and a wind chill of 28º (-2ºC). 3 miles/5km. Needless to say I'm not going to State this year :/

On 10/28/2019 at 8:25 PM, StrandedonEarth said:

Ah, night, when the hunter becomes the hunted...

Every cats name is the sound of dinner being served...

On 10/28/2019 at 11:24 PM, kerbiloid said:

Aren't there some radiocollars for cats with a beacon and a vibration call?

I actually looked into a wireless fence thing to keep her in the walled in section of yard near the house where my dog can go, predators less likely to tangle with a good sized dog around.

She went out last night... bloody cold out, and very windy, presumably she'll prefer being warm.

Today was like 3 degrees C this morning. I looked at my gloves and was like "nah ill be fine without gloves". My hands were not fine after a 5 minute bike ride to the university. No frostbite or anything but quite cold. 

29 minutes ago, qzgy said:

Today was like 3 degrees C this morning. I looked at my gloves and was like "nah ill be fine without gloves". My hands were not fine after a 5 minute bike ride to the university. No frostbite or anything but quite cold. 

Armpits work wonders for warming cold hands. Even better if you can use someone else's armpits so you don't freeze your own, but that probably wouldn't go over well at university...

3 hours ago, qzgy said:

Funny, isn’t it, how at times like this your body decides your fingers are the most expendable bits? :P

Today I continued my Halloween tradition: Sit around and listen to things.

I was listening (as I tend to do) to a radio broadcast of Ramon Raquello and His Orchestra from quite a few years ago.  And I started to wonder.

The news interrupted and was interviewing an astronomer at Princeton, one Richard Pierson.  Regularly occurring gas eruptions were reportedly seen on Mars, with an appearance that matched hydrogen jets "as if shot from a gun", heading in the direction of Earth.  Shortly after, a seismic event was recorded in New Jersey, near the town of Grover Mills.

The earliest time I remember hearing for these "eruptions" was 7:45 PM, with the impact at 8:50 PM.  The astronomer reported that Mars was "at opposition, it's closest point to Earth"1  So, I thought: What speed would an object have to travel to reach Earth from Mars in an hour?  How hard would that impact be?

1For the purpose of this, let's assume the best position relative to Earth to allow the shortest travel time.

Edited by razark

2 hours ago, razark said:

What speed would an object have to travel to reach Earth from Mars in an hour?  How hard would that impact be?
1For the purpose of this, let's assume the best position relative to Earth to allow the shortest travel time.

16 206 389 m/s, or about 0.054 c. A 1 ton projectile (presumably enough to carry a functional, if small deathray-equipped tripod) would have an energy of 262.6 petajoules, many times more powerful than the Tunguska Event.

Assuming this is a winter opposition and it happened around midnight (high angle of impact), most of the trees between Philadelphia and New York are flattened. Grover's Mill is completely destroyed, along with nearby Trenton and Princeton. Windows break in Boston and Washington.

Oh, and there are many of these coming in regularly, multiple explosions of similar scale.

I can only assume the astronomer was not at Princeton at the time, because he would not have survived the first impact.

Edited by cubinator