What funny/interesting thing happened in your life today?

Ultimate Steve

On 10/31/2019 at 10:20 PM, StrandedonEarth said:

Armpits work wonders for warming cold hands. Even better if you can use someone else's armpits so you don't freeze your own, but that probably wouldn't go over well at university...

Also we shouldn't forget the Star Wars s01e05 Empire Kicks Strikes Back experience.

21 hours ago, CatastrophicFailure said:

how at times like this your body decides your fingers are the most expendable bits?

Another evidence that humans appeared in Africa. The body isn't aware of cold.

Edited by kerbiloid

18 hours ago, TheSaint said:

Today we continued our Halloween tradition: Sit around in our pajamas all day, eat our own Halloween candy, and watch a movie trilogy. This year it was the Indiana Jones movies.

That sounds awesome. We didn't have a ton of kids come by last night since everyone thought it would be raining. So now we've got two large bags of candy for three people - that'll last us a while.

As for me, I spent last evening handing out candy while listening to music until it started pouring.

Today I made a "difficult" (and expensive) step.

For more than a year now, I looked after a new car. Not that my beloved Optima LX was becoming annoying, she always was pleasant to drive and extremely reliable. Apart of the 10 000 mi oil-change, and the day someone rear-ended, she never really disappointed me, and is a great drive for long commutes.

UtRiAEs.jpg

However, something was bad with her: the power-to-weight ratio was awfully low. Despite having a pretty reasonable 2.4l Theta II, the torque was awful and I couldn't expect more than 245 Nm (181 ft-lb) of torque until I reached around 4200 rpm. Almost every single time I had to overtake someone, I had to down shift not one, but usually two to three gears until the speedometer started to move slowly.

Long story short, I finally found one of my dream cars, and at a pretty good price (still not the 1st on my list, but I don't care at this point :D): an Audi S4 B8.5.

nUZfxvc.jpg

Apart of the potential fuel economy on highways, I never really understood why Audi stepped to a turbocharger on the latest B9, so I was really looking for this variant, the last generation of the A4-family with a supercharger instead.  It's less than a day behind her wheel, but to me everything is just fantastic with her.  The visibility is excellent, no more blind spot on both sides(!), the handling is great, and the engine just fantastic. Having brought her back gently around 70-72 mph, the whole consumption was around 7.13L/100 km / 33 mpg "only".  Not fantastically thrifty I agree, but for a 3.0l six cylinders it really surprised me.

Well, globally I'm just crazily happy for now, at such a point I'm laughing of pleasure while driving every ten minutes.

We'll see after the first maintenance bill, but that's another story :)

28 minutes ago, XB-70A said:

turbocharger .... supercharger

As an aspiring engineer 30 years ago (never made it through and became a factory grunt ;.;) I wanted to invent a hybridcharger: basically a large turbocharger (normally subject to turbo lag) with a freewheeling (like the rear sprocket on a 5-8 speed bike) belt drive to get the compressor up to speed until the exhaust-driven turbine could take over. I suppose it could also be looked at as a turbine-augmented Paxton supercharger

2 hours ago, StrandedonEarth said:

As an aspiring engineer 30 years ago (never made it through and became a factory grunt ;.;) I wanted to invent a hybridcharger: basically a large turbocharger (normally subject to turbo lag) with a freewheeling (like the rear sprocket on a 5-8 speed bike) belt drive to get the compressor up to speed until the exhaust-driven turbine could take over. I suppose it could also be looked at as a turbine-augmented Paxton supercharger

I had a kind of similar idea in my teenage years, but at the time I was mostly focusing on general aviation, and I quickly realized that nobody around would be interested to carry a dead-weight at one time Once the turbo was taking over, the super was becoming somewhat useless, and in the lower RPM (taxi and descent) the turbo would not be turning.

However, I think the concept could still be interesting in our days for some performance cars. We are surrounded of high performance models running on pure atmospheric units, or twin-turbochargers.

Not my life, but this needs a general place to put it. They used listening devices (microphones made from barrels of oil buried in the ground) to try and determine the range to enemy batteries. They also recording artillery in general. This is a recording of the end of artillery fire when WW1 ended.:

4 hours ago, CatastrophicFailure said:

“Everyone knows the war is basically over, but we’re just gonna keep on shooting until a very specific time...”

<facepalm>

"Also we stopped fighting and hung out on Christmas because we don't actually hate each other but we just kept fighting afterwards anyway because it wasn't Christmas anymore"

A stray we adopted had a baby. She was in hiding and only now allows me to get near her child.

epAcJfZ.jpg

Edit: Sorry @CatastrophicFailure, I put the right link. Also, a few more pics~

The Mommy. Sorry for the blurry pic, I had to take it from a distance, as I did not want to disturb the mother when it was nursing. The box was a bit small for them, the Mommy demanded a new bigger box, and I obliged.

Brn1C6X.jpg

The Daddy (most likely). The poor fella had been trying for ages to court the Mommy, looks like he succeeded. You can tell from his cocky sneer as he sits on my second hand scooter seat as if he owns it.

sC01KUP.jpg

And this tom cat is HUGE and STRONK! He once badly injured a dog who had cornered him before I could intervene.

There are 2 more stray cats who frequent my place, I have no clue why and how do I keep attracting cats. If only I attracted Success and Good Luck at that rate... :D

Edited by Selective Genius
broken pic links corrected!

It's been a quasi-tolerable day today. I've graded 16 term papers of graduate students in my Intro to American Foreign Policy course. And for the first time in ten years of teaching graduate courses, every student turned in a paper on time. And every paper passed! (Two barely passed).

I've also cut back on my diet cola addiction. This week, I've gone from two a day to one a day. Next Monday, I reduce it even further to one every other day. By the second week of December, I'll no longer be drinking diet colas! :cool:

The other good thing is I stepped on the scales to discover I've lost 2.5 pounds (1.13 kilos) since last week. Yes, this is really good news and no, I don't want the weight back! If you've found it, you can keep it...

2 hours ago, adsii1970 said:

And every paper passed!

The professor must be in a good mood.

<reads remainder of the post>

Yup.  Lucky students.

2 hours ago, adsii1970 said:

The other good thing is I stepped on the scales to discover I've lost 2.5 pounds (1.13 kilos) since last week.

Sigh.  I do that about every other week.

The weeks in between, I find I gain it back.  I'm not paying any attention to it, it just seems to wander around the same value.  I guess it's good that it's not going up, but I really need to get it headed down.

9 hours ago, CatastrophicFailure said:

So... grading on a curve, eh? ;)

Actually, no. In a foreign policy graduate level paper, there are a few things that I look for which automatically fails a paper:

• Blatant plagiarism. Believe it or not, I have this happen about once a year. Oh, and what really keys me in on plagiarism is when the graduate student doing the paper forgets to remove the embedded hyperlinks. :huh:
  • More than five critical errors on the first page. A critical error is wrong word usage (there instead of their - along those lines), formatting errors (using a 14-point font, changing the margins to be 1.25 inches instead of 1 inch all around, or my favorite, using 2.5 line spacing instead of double spacing). Another type of critical error is misspelling more than five words on the first page, etc. Sure, I read the rest of the paper, but if I find those in the front page... :/
  • Gross misrepresentation of historical fact. There's a difference between interpretation and fact. Facts do not change. For example, one cannot dispute the facts that nations do go to war. There's no debate on that. But what is up for the debate are the interpretations of what led up to the war or even the intents of the war itself.
  • No citations of where they did glean their data. :mad:
  • The creation of a straw-man issue - something that, in the much larger scale, is irrelevant, unrealistic, or the like. And a lot of graduate students (and professional historians) often do this to create the illusion of being enlightened. :huh:

None of these papers had any of these "red flag" issues which would normally come into play. For the most part, I was pleasantly surprised. Razark commented "lucky students" and there might be some truth to it. But when you read the first ten papers and the lowest grade is a high C (78%), it is very encouraging. The lowest grade in the class on this paper was a 73% (C), but it still was not the worst paper I've ever seen. I'm actually proud of these students.

9 hours ago, razark said:

The professor must be in a good mood.

<reads remainder of the post>

Yup.  Lucky students.

Sigh.  I do that about every other week.

The weeks in between, I find I gain it back.  I'm not paying any attention to it, it just seems to wander around the same value.  I guess it's good that it's not going up, but I really need to get it headed down.

I've decided I can't do that anymore. I've been doing the "roller coaster weight loss plan" going on nearly 15 years. I have reached the point that I am tired of it and I want off. I've done some research and have come to the conclusion that I needed to radically overhaul my lifestyle. If I don't, I am not going to make it much past 60. ;.;

I've been using the app MyFitnessPal (www.myfitnesspal.com) on and off for the past few years. But over the last few months, I have decided to use it the way it is intended. If anyone is interested, my user ID is adsii1970 (who would have guessed that!). Maybe we can start a group of out-of-shape forum members to encourage one another... ;)

Found out the first forum game was from January 1st 1970. What? @Vanamonde

What? Ksp wasn’t even invented then!

Did this use to be a forum for something else that got changed for ksp uses? I am so confused!

Oh wait, that probably wasn’t a reason to tag you, was it? Sorry...

Edited by έķ νίĻĻάίή

8 minutes ago, Delay said:

Judging by that date I would assume some Unix time weirdness.

Don’t question it, I like to overthink it because repurposed forums are the best choice for new games, hence when this forum was created ksp was a new game. Also, the forum rules were created by the same guy on the same date.

Oh wait, if you go to the right beginning of the lounge, there is a whole bunch of 1970 posts.

Edited by έķ νίĻĻάίή