What funny/interesting thing happened in your life today?

Ultimate Steve

1 hour ago, έķ νίĻĻάίή said:

Found out the first forum game was from January 1st 1970. What?

Computers believe the beginning of time was midnight on January 1st, 1970. That was arbitrarily decided on because a lot of people started working on more complicated computers after 1970, and they needed standards. Now, current computers sometimes forget when old things were made, and when that happens they just append the date '0' to whatever it is. Then we see the date 'January 1st, 1970' even though it was actually made much later. I actually see December 31st, 1969 because I'm in a timezone that's behind GMT, which the Unix date is based on.

Just wait for 2039...

20 hours ago, cubinator said:

January 1st, 1970. That was arbitrarily decided on

(Recalls the astronomers' "Julian Day"...
No, not the date of the Ivlivs Caesar calender, but the JD named after Scaliger's dad.)

Edited by kerbiloid

2 hours ago, cubinator said:

Also the dress rehearsal of my club's rocket test went well tonight, and we're on schedule to attempt firings in a couple weeks!

Ooooh this sounds cool. Just static test firing or more like test flights? Also interested to hear how they go. 

14 hours ago, qzgy said:

Ooooh this sounds cool. Just static test firing or more like test flights? Also interested to hear how they go. 

We're not ready for flights yet, they are static firings on our test stand. Our engine burns kerosene and GOX and is very tiny! (Estimated 100 N) Once the firings are done we'll cannibalize the test stand for our next, bigger test stand.

Edited by cubinator

26 minutes ago, cubinator said:

We're not ready for flights yet, they are static firings on our test stand. Our engine burns kerosene and GOX and is very tiny! Once the firings are done we'll cannibalize the test stand for our next, bigger test stand.

You should totally make a test stand out of an old water bucket. 

Then hop it. -_-

ITS OVER! ITS FINALLY OVER! LAST DAY OF YEAR 10 2019 LETS GO! 

8 WEEKS HOLIDAYS IN 6 HOURS AND 46 MINUTES! LETS GOOOOOOOOOOO!

GETTING A GAMING LAPTOP OVER THE HOLIDAYS, STEAM WINTER SALE, NEW INTERNET CONNECTION AND NEW PHONE!

:DDDDDDD 

24 minutes ago, The_Cat_In_Space said:

ITS OVER! ITS FINALLY OVER! LAST DAY OF YEAR 10 2019 LETS GO! 

8 WEEKS HOLIDAYS IN 6 HOURS AND 46 MINUTES! LETS GOOOOOOOOOOO!

GETTING A GAMING LAPTOP OVER THE HOLIDAYS, STEAM WINTER SALE, NEW INTERNET CONNECTION AND NEW PHONE!

:DDDDDDD 

:blink:

Dang, dude, you get one L of a long winter break...

So my project leader had her PhD presentation today, and I was invited as a cheerleader.My only job was to look interested and bob my head up and down as if she was Elon Musk reincarnated talking about exploring the outer solar system. It was all going fine until the presentation ended and the external evaluator (who joined us via Skype) asked ME (outta nowhere!) about my project leader's presentation (" You looked very interested in this topic, have you done some research work in molecular dynamics as well?) I managed to stutter my way out. :D I cheerled a bit too hard it seems. (Is 'cheerled' even a proper word?)

I got extra snacks and juice after the presentation, so it was time and energy well spent :)

I work at a research laboratory and they offer PhD courses, even though seats are VERY less. There were only about 12 people attending this PhD presentation for 3 candidates, and 2 external evaluators, one of whom joined us via skype. Thus, I was spotted being a goofy idiot. :D

And since my organization is government funded there are no NDAs. But I wharfed down enough snacks to compensate for my missing lunch and bagged 8 BigS cookies, eventually. So it was worth the embarrassment :D

Well, the last 10 days have certainly sucked. Last Friday we lost one of our guinea pigs, tried taking her to a new vet who discovered the trouble she'd been having the last year were probably due to a heart condition and a mass in her stomach, but after fighting so long she never made it out of anesthesia. 

Then just today, a coyote grabbed one of our ducks and tried to run off. She's still alive, for the moment, but it's not looking good. Took her to a local vet who happened to still be open, but no one nearby really treats birds, so all they could do is try to stitch up the superficial stuff and give us some antibiotics, but bite wounds are nasty and deep.

Probably need to plant two trees tomorrow now.

And I'm just sitting here with a bowl of pudding in one hand and my 10/22 in the other, watching the cameras half hoping the little excrement comes back again.

#venting.

Yesterday my team successfully fired our liquid rocket! I wasn't able to be there for the firing attempts, but I helped set up beforehand and followed along online. We got 25 N of thrust before the load cell failed, causing an automatic abort a few seconds after ignition.

Now it is time to move on to a bigger system!

10 hours ago, cubinator said:

Yesterday my team successfully fired our liquid rocket! I wasn't able to be there for the firing attempts, but I helped set up beforehand and followed along online. We got 25 N of thrust before the load cell failed, causing an automatic abort a few seconds after ignition.

Now it is time to move on to a bigger system!

Congrats! Which fuel mixture are you using by the way? How big do you intend to go?

1 hour ago, Selective Genius said:

Congrats! Which fuel mixture are you using by the way? How big do you intend to go?

Kerosene + gaseous oxygen

Eventual goal is space, of course, but that is far in the future. Our next engine is designed for 1000 N thrust.