What funny/interesting thing happened in your life today?

Ultimate Steve

Yesterday, I assembled a synced-to-music Christmas lights show (not as big as you'd think, just with my tree and some lamps) with my Raspberry Pi and a questionably legal/safe electric setup that's likely to start a fire in the near future.

I used a Pi application called LightShowPi, and assembled a box of 8 outlets connected to a magic electrical thing conntected to my Pi. My Pi, the DIY box of outlets, and the magical electric thingy (called a relay) are all connected to a wall. I wish I never, ever have to do more electrician work. :P

LightShowPi comes with its own magical music-to-flashes music syncer, which is questionably functional, but it's the best I could do without making actual synced programs myself (which I'm not the best at).

I don't have enough Christmas lights on my tree to get enough flashes, so I've been substituting with nightlights and lamps. However, just a few hours ago, I got some more lights, so we'll see how that goes.

I'm really proud of it! :D

Today I finally hard boiled eggs for the first time without them coming out overcooked or hilariously under-cooked.

And now I don't feel great because I ate too many.

18 hours ago, LittleBitMore said:

magical electric thingy (called a relay)

Relays really aren't magical.  They're basically a light switch that's turned off and on with a much smaller electric signal instead of your finger.

30 minutes ago, Geonovast said:

Relays really aren't magical.  They're basically a light switch that's turned off and on with a much smaller electric signal instead of your finger.

I know enough to determine that. But it's magic because it does something I'm pretty sure I couldn't do with my Pi's breadboard.

16 minutes ago, LittleBitMore said:

I know enough to determine that. But it's magic because it does something I'm pretty sure I couldn't do with my Pi's breadboard.

See, now it’s your breadboard that seems like magic to me. I’ve had to use automotive relays to build some simple logic circuits and it’s incredibly confusing and complex to do so, something I imagine a tiny computer would excel at. 

50 minutes ago, Geonovast said:

Today I finally hard boiled eggs for the first time without them coming out overcooked or hilariously under-cooked.

Next challenge: duck eggs that go rubbery it cook time is not absolutely perfect. ;)

8 hours ago, Geonovast said:

Congratulations! That’s always a difficult task. A while ago, I acquired, I don’t remember how precisely, an automatic egg boiler. Steamer. Thing. The eggs are always cooked perfectly and are easy to peel. I would definitely recommend it. 

/advertising spambot

14 hours ago, kerbiloid said:

Why do they not sell pre-boiled frozen eggs to be warmed in a microwave?
(Just a business plan)

21 minutes ago, Vanamonde said:

Don't boiled eggs explode if microwaved? 

Yes they do (a little bit violently on occasion) and not a good idea for a business, unless you like replacing microwaves (worst case scenario).

Edited by GDJ

1 hour ago, GDJ said:

Yes they do (a little bit violently on occasion) and not a good idea for a business, unless you like replacing microwaves (worst case scenario).

Just do it with really small eggs and market it like protein popcorn or something.

3 hours ago, cubinator said:

Just do it with really small eggs and market it like protein popcorn or something.

Quail's eggs are not that easy to find, and Hummingbirds are mean nasty MOFO's normally, and they are like rabid shrews when eggs are involved.

I'll just skip eggs and microwaves.

8 hours ago, Vanamonde said:

Don't boiled eggs explode if microwaved? 

If they are liquid - yes. But I never tried to warm the pre-boiled ones, solid and without a shell.

Anyway, Plan B: pop-eggs. They're like popcorn, but pop-eggs.

Oops, ninja'd by @cubinator.

3 hours ago, GDJ said:

Quail's eggs are not that easy to find, and Hummingbirds are mean nasty MOFO's normally, and they are like rabid shrews when eggs are involved.

The long egges are even more rare. That's a challenge, not a stop. Just find enough long hen.

Spoiler

e2e0d453819ed9a125888199b041c0cd.jpg

Edited by kerbiloid

I'm seriously considering downloading and learning NASM.
I want to learn an assembly language anyways, just for the fun of it. It's kind of unfortunate that assembly means nothing nowadays when you can learn a much simpler, high-level language like C++.

Wrote some unnecessarily short code to print numbers of the Fibonacci sequence. Can you get much smaller without obfuscating?

#include <stdio.h>

int main(void){
	int fib[] = {0,1}; char xor = 0;
	while(fib[xor] < 32768){
		printf("%d\n", fib[xor]);
		fib[xor] += fib[xor ^ 1];
		xor ^= 1;
	}
	return 0;
}