What funny/interesting thing happened in your life today?

Ultimate Steve

On 2/11/2020 at 7:57 PM, StrandedonEarth said:

My kid finally scored his first goal in Atom hockey, on his birthday to boot!

I should flesh this out a bit more with a few salient points, now that I have some time...

1. It's his first season of ice hockey. He played one season of roller hockey before that, and picked up a hockey stick and laced up roller blades for the first time not long before that.

2. He's quite small for his age, so between that and his skill level he was slotted into Atom as an overage player. It was nice to see him not be the smallest person in his group for once, although he still wasn't the tallest!

3. He's not the fastest and he's still developing his skills, but he's a tenaciously hard worker and determined to go get that puck. As a forward he makes great defensive plays on the backcheck and is usually involved in the play. But goals have eluded him, although he's had some chances and has a few assists.

4. The coaches enjoy having a more mature player who is willing to pass. Now if only his linemates would pass to him. One of them keeps trying to stickhandle through two defenders in the neutral zone when there's open players to pass to. Our team had been losing (getting blown out and/or shut out) most games, until the last few games when my kid started to make little speeches in the locker room before the games, and they started winning - convincingly.

5. While not a typical skill goal or a rebound "garbage goal" (not that there's anything wrong with that), it was still full marks for his unassisted goal. He made the defender pay for the mistake of skating the puck in front of his own net by chasing him down and swatting the puck off the defender's stick and under the goalie, into the net. The goalie also learned to always be ready, even if a teammate has the puck.

6. Because of his hard work, he had most of the team's parents rooting for him to get a goal. When he finally did score on his thirteenth birthday (to make it a 3-0 game), our crowd erupted into near-pandemonium, as if it was a championship-winning goal. When the other side's parents caught on to why we were cheering so madly, they started cheering him too! And the linesmen saved the puck for him.

We had a feeling he was going to score on his birthday. Since the game was early enough in the evening, we arranged for an after-game pizza party in the change room. That "First Goal" puck was probably the best present ever! Now he wants me to make him a trophy case for the puck, complete with a sliding glass door.

He should be a contender for the new "Heart and Hustle" award at the end of the season.

Incidentally, I was also a late starter at ball hockey and also not a skill player, but made up for it with hustle.

He'll be moved up to Peewee next season, although he's old enough for Bantam.

E: Oh, and his T-shirt (as noticed in post-game pics) under his gear was a picture of Darth Vader with the caption “This is what awesome looks like!”

Edited by StrandedonEarth

Today the wife and I used an impressive combination of coordination, leverage, muscle, a small tractor and numerous four letter words to wrestle this beast of a generator out of that shed back there...

vV8KNOk.jpg

...without destroying it or each other. :cool: Thing’s gotta weigh over a thousand pounds. And of course, is just a tiny bit too big to fit through the door. And by tiny I mean like a foot. 

Next challenge: how to get it out of the driveway. :P

And then there was this. 

fcctKdX.jpg

I live in a very rural, idyllic area without any real industry... except a random shipyard just kinda shoved in the back. So we’ll be going around the bend on a pretty little road and suddenly Tuggy McTugface is just sitting there on blocks in the mudflat waiting for high tide. Apparently every time they need to launch a boat they literally build a railroad across the street and down into the water, then rip it all up again before the tide comes back. 

8 hours ago, CatastrophicFailure said:

Today the wife and I used an impressive combination of coordination, leverage, muscle, a small tractor and numerous four letter words to wrestle this beast of a generator out of that shed back there...

vV8KNOk.jpg

...without destroying it or each other. :cool: Thing’s gotta weigh over a thousand pounds. And of course, is just a tiny bit too big to fit through the door. And by tiny I mean like a foot. 

Next challenge: how to get it out of the driveway. :P

It's amazing the power that four-letter words have.

8 hours ago, CatastrophicFailure said:

And then there was this. 

fcctKdX.jpg

I live in a very rural, idyllic area without any real industry... except a random shipyard just kinda shoved in the back. So we’ll be going around the bend on a pretty little road and suddenly Tuggy McTugface is just sitting there on blocks in the mudflat waiting for high tide. Apparently every time they need to launch a boat they literally build a railroad across the street and down into the water, then rip it all up again before the tide comes back. 

Instant tugboat, just add....

9 hours ago, DDE said:
11 hours ago, kerbiloid said:

Did it suddenly jump to the road, like they like to do?

From above, too. Which is why I didn't see it through the visor of my cap.

Headshot!

48 minutes ago, TheSaint said:

It's amazing the power that four-letter words have.

They raise agression, i.e. testosterone, so they work like natural steroid injection,

(Probably that's why they are also known as an anti-ghost repellant. Aggression replaces the fear, and the ghosted person stops be frightened, but start frighteting potential ghosts).

So these words should be prohibited in sport as a doping.

There was a major power failure in my neighborhood so the kitchen appliances were down, I decided instead on dining at a Greek restaurant. I ordered saganaki for an appetizer (pan fried cheese) which at the restaurant they bring it out in a small frying pan and before they place it on the table they pour brandy on it and Flambé it before putting it out with lemon juice, It got me thinking Kerbal Cooking must involve a lot of flambéing, when they are not heating up stuff in the microwave. 

Edited by Jeb1969

17 hours ago, Jeb1969 said:

There was a major power failure in my neighborhood so the kitchen appliances were down, I decided instead on dining at a Greek restaurant. I ordered saganaki for an appetizer (pan fried cheese) which at the restaurant they bring it out in a small frying pan and before they place it on the table they pour brandy on it and Flambé it before putting it out with lemon juice, It got me thinking Kerbal Cooking must involve a lot of flambéing, when they are not heating up stuff in the microwave. 

Ah, an excuse for my FAVOurite space rocketry fact!

Lemon oil is over 99% limonene - a compound that make an excellent rocket fuel. In fact neat, untreated lemon oil is pure enough to use on its own.

And yes, it has been tested in a rocket and yes it left a delightful scent!

(ref: Ignition!)

31 minutes ago, p1t1o said:

Lemon oil is over 99% limonene - a compound that make an excellent rocket fuel. In fact neat, untreated lemon oil is pure enough to use on its own.

Now I unironically want to see the details on this...and whether it's possible to buy it in the gallons...

41 minutes ago, cubinator said:

Now I unironically want to see the details on this...and whether it's possible to buy it in the gallons...

https://www.sigmaaldrich.com/catalog/search?term=limonene&interface=All&N=0&mode=match partialmax&lang=en&region=GB&focus=product

This is synthetic limonene rather than natural lemon oil, but its practically the same thing. Probably better for engines ;)

1 hour ago, p1t1o said:

Hey, I'm reading that book!

28 minutes ago, p1t1o said:

https://www.sigmaaldrich.com/catalog/search?term=limonene&interface=All&N=0&mode=match partialmax&lang=en&region=GB&focus=product

This is synthetic limonene rather than natural lemon oil, but its practically the same thing. Probably better for engines ;)

And it's only $20000/L! Yeah we'll stick to kerosene.

In other news, I applied to do some research on bringing bugs to Mars to eat. I'll know if my idea is accepted and I'm cleared to do the experiment in a couple months.

34 minutes ago, cubinator said:

In other news, I applied to do some research on bringing bugs to Mars to eat. I'll know if my idea is accepted and I'm cleared to do the experiment in a couple months.

Well, crickets are a good source of protein and are commonly eaten in Asia. And there's cricket protein bars available, which is about the only way I can see myself eating crickets... (haven't tried them yet)

Hmmm, cubinator making cricket incubators... incricketors?... a certain irony in that. It's actually one of the more logical ways to provide protein in space, aside from growing legumes. Although need to provide cricket fodder anyways, hmmm... An interesting project, to be sure!

Edited by StrandedonEarth

1 hour ago, The Minmus Derp said:

Hey, I'm reading that book!

Its a mandatory staple for KSPers, very well known. And objectively, one of the best scientific histories I have come across, rocketry or not, written in a very accessible (and humerous!) way.

If anyone else is interested, it is (legitimately) available for free here:

https://library.sciencemadness.org/library/books/ignition.pdf

43 minutes ago, cubinator said:

And it's only $20000/L! Yeah we'll stick to kerosene.

Oh lol! I didnt think about cost at all, obviously its way more expensive!

Awww Im kinda sad, I really wanted someone to try out my fave rocket fact ;.;

Edited by p1t1o