What funny/interesting thing happened in your life today?

Ultimate Steve

3 hours ago, cubinator said:

Today I learned that participants in a Zoom meeting can make annotations and draw on a shared screen...

I learned this in a meeting with forty second-graders. I turned that feature off promptly.

Yup yup yup, my friend! My roomie uses zoom for her online classes, and the students would draw and scribble on the screen. Sometimes the drawings would be vulgar and there would be love confessions on the screen..... It was entertaining to watch her deal with it though :D

It's been an interesting couple of days.

We've been doing a spring cleaning purge, and my wife found a bunch of old pictures of her older kids that she thought were long lost. 

Saturday night yet another cat showed up at my door, having made the decision that it now lives with us.  (Assuming the owner doesn't come looking for it, this will be the third time...).

My new (to me) Lenovo Twist arrived today, and I already love it.  I'm sure once I scrub that Windows nonsense off of it, I'll love it even more.  (Didn't come with a charger, so waiting for that to arrive before installing a new OS).

I have too many RPG campaigns. I went for decades with nobody to play with, and now in the course of just a couple of years I'm swamped. The super-spy campaign petered out after one adventure. (There was a difference in expectations. I was expecting, "Fly around the world, solve mysteries, find plots, chase down evildoers, have cinematic gunfights." The players were expecting, "Go blow this building up.") So now we're going to reorganize the group, with the older players playing in one campaign and the kids running their own, which I think will work better. And the older group wants to try a Firefly-esque sci-fi campaign, so I've been writing all that up over the last couple of months. (Names. So many names. :P) But now in the middle of working on all that I've come up with:

1. A really neat idea to turn the sci-fi campaign into something way cooler. (Inspired by the 2004 Battlestar Galactica reboot.)

2. A whole new idea for a "six-guns and sorcery" campaign. Basically an epic high fantasy world with magic backed by 19th century technology instead of medieval technology.

Plus we still have the Fantasy Trip campaign I'm running with my wife and kids, which has been on hiatus now for a month. Because my middle son is running Fantasy Trip for us now. Just the pre-made adventures at the moment, but he wants to start creating his own soon. So every time we're playing at home he's chomping at the bit to run something.

Too many ideas, not enough time. :(

1 hour ago, TheSaint said:

2. A whole new idea for a "six-guns and sorcery" campaign. Basically an epic high fantasy world with magic backed by 19th century technology instead of medieval technology.

Sounds like Arcanum. Maybe Dishonored, too. A little bit like Syberia 1&2 and Real Myst 3d (though, other Mysts, too).

Edited by kerbiloid

2 minutes ago, CatastrophicFailure said:

Does it have a Tower? This sounds like it needs a Tower. Oh, and Beams...

Actually, the germ of the idea grew out of my utter, complete, and total disappointment that came from trying to read The Dark Tower series a couple of years ago. 

19 minutes ago, kerbiloid said:

Sounds like Arcanum. Maybe Dishonored, too. A little bit like Syberia 1&2 and Real Myst 3d (though, other Mysts, too).

You forgot Deadlands. As I've said before: You can't write an original story. All you can do is bring your perspective to it.

On 5/30/2020 at 7:10 PM, razark said:

There were some parts of that build that were just a pain, and the finished thing seems just too flimsy to me.

It certainly needs to be kept up away from questing hands and smug, indifferent cats...

Spoiler

0skm9SP.jpg

Meanwhile...

zpK18wj.jpg

Spoiler

389a5f8ac877e674be0d74cacf3349a5.gif

Edited by CatastrophicFailure

I will have some shopping to do tomorrow...for insect-rearing supplies!

Can you imagine a Mars mission with a dedicated insect expert on the crew? I will soon help answer whether that would be a useful thing to have!

Definitely!

Do you remember that Mark Watney was a botanist potatonist?

And potato means mole crickets. So, they need an ento-mole-gist as well.

But you should start training right now. Do you have a Martian sand castle in terrarium? With the Marthian Face, Nirgal Vallis, Tharsis mountains?

Just coming back from Starlink 7.0 (8). It was incredible to see and listen at as usual, but the weather wasn't cooperating with us this time. The sky was totally overcast at high altitude, and 6/8 at low altitude; Falcon 9 disappeared after less than half a minute.

DSC033900007

DSC033900013

17 minutes ago, The_Cat_In_Space said:

I woke up early enough to feed my cats, so.. 6am?

I know its not really an achievement or anything.

These days merely getting out of bed has become an achievement. :P

Bonus points for not taking one look outside and jumping right back in screaming “aw hell nah!”

Mealworm food arrived today. That was unusual, because I wasn't expecting it for a couple weeks. There was also one stowaway mealworm in the packaging. I gave him some food to burrow in while I get ready for the actual colony.

I might get a vinegaroon once I get set up...

12 minutes ago, CatastrophicFailure said:

You should get a solpugid instead. -_-

No particular reason, I just like saying ‘solpugid.’

Just kinda rolls off the tongue, in exactly the way an actual solpugid would not.  

Nah I think I'll go for the one that's not lightning fast. 

If build the mentioned concrete mini-Mars with Olympus, Nirgal, etc, you can get a voodoo Mars.

Just imagine the eyes of the first Martian expedition when they see a giant arthropod crawling out of the real Olympus when you bring a mealworm to your pet in terrarium.