What funny/interesting thing happened in your life today?

Ultimate Steve

Helped my friend with his Model X Duesenberg today. Photo shoot, but he and the professional photog needed a hand. He's selling it to buy a Model J.

Once the sales website is up I can post a link if any of you have ~$650,000 burning a hole in your pocket.

Edited by tater

I can understand him.
Driving a hundred years old car in 2020 sucks. Even twenty years old are old, and it's five times older.
Also its car gramophone is probably compatible with shellac CD only.

Is he aware that modern Model X doesn''t require the petrol and even a driver?

Somehow, every time I measure the mass of my crickets' food dish, it keeps consistently getting heavier. I see them eating all the time from there, so it's all a big mystery. Do they prefer to eat each other? I hope not! Is the food just taking on water from the air? Maybe. I need to count them again tomorrow to see if many more have died...I see the females laying eggs often, so at least I'm pretty sure I'll get a good second generation.

I'm pretty sure it's not because I've created or purchased free energy crickets.

Edited by cubinator

29 minutes ago, cubinator said:

Somehow, every time I measure the mass of my crickets' food dish, it keeps consistently getting heavier. I see them eating all the time from there, so it's all a big mystery. Do they prefer to eat each other? I hope not! Is the food just taking on water from the air? Maybe. I need to count them again tomorrow to see if many more have died...I see the females laying eggs often, so at least I'm pretty sure I'll get a good second generation.

I'm pretty sure it's not because I've created or purchased free energy crickets.

What are you feeding them? Absorbing water is the only logical thing, especially if it’s dehydrated/dried food. Unless they’re crapping in it, but that’s unusual behaviour in any creature. Laying eggs in the food? Do they have a water source? Maybe they’re hydrating the food themselves...

Edited by StrandedonEarth

3 minutes ago, StrandedonEarth said:

What are you feeding them? Absorbing water is the only logical thing, especially if it’s dehydrated/dried food. Unless they’re crapping in it, but that’s unusual behaviour in any creature. Laying eggs in the food? Do they have a water source? Maybe they’re hydrating the food themselves...

Dry cricket food. They have a paper towel saturated with water, and I spray a little extra in between the egg flats occasionally. It's pretty humid in there.

Edited by cubinator

2 hours ago, cubinator said:

I see the females laying eggs often, so at least I'm pretty sure I'll get a good second generation.

Spoiler

latest?cb=20180116184849

2 hours ago, cubinator said:

Any neighbors missed last week? Maybe dogs? Feather heaps below the window?

1 hour ago, CatastrophicFailure said:
2 hours ago, StrandedonEarth said:

Unless they’re crapping in it, but that’s unusual behaviour in any creature. 

Allow me to introduce my ducks...

And our canary bird (RIP), as well as mice in my studenthood campus (rip!-rip!-rip!.. rip!.. oops... or, here you are... rip!..)

Edited by kerbiloid

My trusty ThinkPad has been running very hot recently - so hot that when I'm playing KSP, CPU temperatures got up to nearly 100 degrees Celsius, forcing it to throttle back performance.

So I decided to do something about it. I took my computer apart, cleaned a load of dust out of the fan, and applied new thermal paste to the CPU. It really helped - before, temperatures could get into the 80s when just using Chrome, but now it hovers around 50 degrees when doing the same thing. That's a thirty-degree improvement in temperature! When playing KSP, it stays around the high 70s/low 80s, which is hotter, but still low enough that the CPU doesn't freak out and start throttling performance. Once it got into the low 90s, but that was with CPU usage at 100%, so I'm not too worried about it.

Unfortunately the latch mechanism that holds the screen in place when the laptop is closed is now a bit unreliable, but I can live with that. I'm just happy that my laptop is finally working as intended :D

Edited by RealKerbal3x

gXQSoQd.jpg

This thing happened. :mad:

@$&€£#%!! this thing. @$&€£#%!! this thing very much. Because then this happened: 

wlS6H8T.jpg

And Tesla roadside has been about as useful as a screen door on a submarine at this point. We live on an island, not Mars for crepes sake. :huh: Mars might get a faster response. 

Fortunately, this had already happened:

IUEWvYl.jpg

so we’re not reduced to eating the not-leather seats while some dink in California struggles with the concept of a “ferry.” :P

and we don’t even get the tricked out Model X with the tool racks, apparently, just some rando in a tow truck. 

2 minutes ago, StrandedonEarth said:

Something broke? or it managed to take out all four tires? It appears to have been a... catastrophic failure.

Looks like the cotter pin to someone’s hitch pin, killed one tire but these newfangled cars (of all brands) don’t include spares anymore. :P 

Tesla-specific gripe is that apparently you can’t use tire slime, due to some kind of sound-deadening foam liner. 

I cooked and ate some roasted crickets. They have a very mild taste, and are crispy and almost flaky. Feels kind of like bread or cereal, tastes kind of like a cross between a crispy bread, a nut, and some kind of roasted vegetable. Overall, completely palatable. The legs and wings aren't too pokey.

Now I know I'll enjoy the culinary portion of my experiment! I just need to increase my output as the colonies hopefully start to grow.

this happened a couple days ago. but after doing a bunch of house work so this place doesn't look like a crazy cat lady lives here, i opted to take a shower. i had made my usual rounds on the internet and left my computer on. when i came back i find one of my cats sleeping on my keyboard and a bunch of instances of kerbal space program running, most were spewing out errors. it took two restarts to get my computer back to functional. no doubt it did some damage to my ssds, as memory started running out (granted they might be getting upgraded soon, as the state of alaska decided to give us our pfds early this year due to covid).

Edited by Nuke

13 hours ago, cubinator said:

I cooked and ate some roasted crickets. They have a very mild taste, and are crispy and almost flaky.

In some episode of the "Servant" series the cook had injected something into the cricket to caramelize it or so.

Maybe ep.5 "The Cricket" or next to it.

11 hours ago, Nuke said:

one of my cats sleeping on my keyboard and a bunch of instances of kerbal space program running, most were spewing out errors. it took two restarts to get my computer

A cat test. Should be obligatory for any software.

Put a test cat on the keyboard and see how it works.

Edited by kerbiloid

On 7/2/2020 at 8:35 PM, CatastrophicFailure said:

@$&€£#%!! this thing. @$&€£#%!! this thing very much. Because then this happened: 

Through the tire? Yuck, I'm a magnet for nails, etc.

You have low profile tires? (I heard those are sorta fragile, plus car actually works better with more rubber, less wheel)

14 hours ago, cubinator said:

I cooked and ate some roasted crickets. They have a very mild taste, and are crispy and almost flaky. Feels kind of like bread or cereal, tastes kind of like a cross between a crispy bread, a nut, and some kind of roasted vegetable. Overall, completely palatable. The legs and wings aren't too pokey.

Now I know I'll enjoy the culinary portion of my experiment! I just need to increase my output as the colonies hopefully start to grow.

You can eat all the crickets here, they are noisy, and I hate them (inside, outside they can do as they like).

No spare? That's... not smart.

Cybertruck better have a spare.

8 hours ago, tater said:

You have low profile tires? (I heard those are sorta fragile, plus car actually works better with more rubber, less wheel)

I swear low-profile tires are a scam. The bigger the rim size, the more manufacturers charge for the tires (maybe partly justified, more steel for the bead hoops, less rubber everywhere else). Shorter, stiffer sidewalls equals less flex equals less rolling resistance for better mileage, but also makes for a stiffer ride. Less flex also means road hazards are more likely to push their way through the tread. And the short sidewalls leaves the rims far more vulnerable to curbing. I never liked the rubber-band-on-a-rim look myself.

On 7/2/2020 at 8:08 PM, CatastrophicFailure said:

Tesla-specific gripe is that apparently you can’t use tire slime, due to some kind of sound-deadening foam liner. 

But yeah, if Tesla's have no way of dealing with a flat that's not good. If' there's no room for a space-saver spare (or unwilling to take the weight penalty), there's usually a can of puncture sealer in most cars. And if the tires don't work with that, that's.... short-sighted. I'd suggest tweeting your feedback at Elon Musk, he tends to pay attention to customer suggestions, even if a schmuck like me never gets a response out of him (as an aside, Tory Bruno responds to everyone though).

An acquaintance I have concerned and prayed for last 4 years invited me for lunch tomorrow since she finally has a question to ask me!

Another interesting thing is that I planned to do something and a friend A mentioned a once friend B who is great at it. Though living in the same city we haven't met for almost 10 years. Then two days after the conversation with A, I strangely decided to go to a gym in the morning to run. Never did this before. I ran into B’s wife and talked briefly. Though feeling surprised right at the moment I forgot about it quickly. Then the next afternoon I ran into both B and his wife at Costco. Just paid them a visit and received some helpful information.

On 7/3/2020 at 11:46 PM, tater said:

Through the tire? Yuck, I'm a magnet for nails, etc.

My wife seems to be too, every ride she’s ever had has had a flat sooner or later. I’ve only had one once [frantic wood knocking], on the gremlin-ridden Sentra that’s still the only car I’ve ever owned. Maybe that’s the connection...

Her 3 has the basic 18s, so pretty low pro overall I suppose but mild by modern standards. 

On 7/4/2020 at 8:50 AM, StrandedonEarth said:

swear low-profile tires are a scam... Shorter, stiffer sidewalls equals less flex equals less rolling resistance for better mileage, but also makes for a stiffer ride.

That stiffer ride “improves handling” too, at least up to a point, but now that’s cemented “rubber bands = MOAR POWER!!!1!1!1!1!11” into the modern automotive psyche. :P I felt like committing sacrilege when I stepped up to 17” rims on my truck, I’d stick with good ol’ dependable 15” stamped steelies if they fit, but that was the only way to get true 35s. :cool:

On 7/4/2020 at 8:50 AM, StrandedonEarth said:

But yeah, if Tesla's have no way of dealing with a flat that's not good. If' there's no room for a space-saver spare (or unwilling to take the weight penalty), there's usually a can of puncture sealer in most cars. And if the tires don't work with that, that's.... short-sighted.

It was a big disappointment, that’s for sure, tho we are admittedly one of those edge cases. It would have cost us like $350 just to have the “provider” hop the ferry over to deliver a loaner rim, then still have to deal with the bad tire ourselves and bring the loaner back. In the end, we just re-upped our AAA membership for like half that, car was towed to the local Les Schwab in about an hour and tire was patched at no charge. Might have been a different experience over on the mainland but before we head on any major road trips (still haven’t taken one since we go the thing) we’re for sure getting a spare & Jack. :/

If I ever get around to finegelling that other Model X, first thing I’ma do is slap some proper nail-resistant mud tahrs on it. :cool:

On 7/6/2020 at 10:49 AM, CatastrophicFailure said:

That stiffer ride “improves handling” too, at least up to a point,

Fair point, which I tend to overlook because the vehicles I end up driving are not conducive to channeling my inner Andretti. I guess I was mainly grousing about how quickly the price goes up as rim size increases.

Now if you'll excuse me I feel an urge to chase some bratty kids off my lawn...