What funny/interesting thing happened in your life today?

Ultimate Steve

Today I rode out my second tropical storm of the year so far, Isaias. I live in CT and don’t often get tropical cyclones, but the 2020 Atlantic hurricane season has seen record levels of activity prior to August 1st, and many of these storms have impacted land. TS Fay formed off of the VA coast and tracked into the tri-state area in mid July. It weakened rapidly after making landfall in NJ and only brought mild rain and moderately gusty winds. 

Isaias turned out to be a far more significant storm. Heavy rainfall started in the late morning, with winds maxing out from 1-4pm. I couldn’t measure them directly but I wouldn’t be surprised if gusts were confirmed to have consistently hit 50-60 mph. I lost power for about 10-15 minutes, and then it was on and off for an hour or so. Unlike Fay, there was moderate wind damage, with a couple of large branches falling in my neighborhood and debris from trees being scattered everywhere. At least 40% of my town lost power. No fatalities in the state, as far as I know. 

It’s cleared up now but some occasional gusty winds are still present. Somehow, my crippled tomato plant survived. A thunderstorm caused the stems to crack in early July, and it survived both Fay and Isaias without taking additional damage. I was sure that half of it was going to get torn off. Now I’m just hoping we don’t get yet another tropical cyclone this year in the Northeast, but since it’s 2020 and this season is expected to continue being extremely active, we probably are going to get something else eventually. 

Changed the air filters in the 6 new AC units we had installed.   Each unit has 4 filters.     I put them all in the same aligment, except for the middle one, facing the majority of the guys work areas.  

jeiHodD.jpg

I had complaints within 2 minutes.   It was glorious.  They have to look at this sucker for a couple months now. 

On 8/1/2020 at 11:19 PM, CatastrophicFailure said:

She has also decided that my wife is now her mother and CHIRPS INCESSANTLY any time she’s not around and oh my Kerm does that little thing have a set of lungs! Er... lung...

So... that got old quick. Got so bad we had to start putting the little yellow fuzz ball to bed at night with an iPad playing bird videos propped up against the bars. Because you really only can spend so many hours per day cuddling with a baby chick, unfortunately. But finally we were able to hunt down these two additional slightly blurry fuzz balls: 

cbajuOJ.jpg

Red and Black (Pepper), a Rhode Island Red & Australorp to go with Ghibli, our little Polish Crested/Silverlace Cochin homebrew mix. They got along swimmingly after just a bit of “WTH is this?” wing-pulling from the chicken who’s never seen another chicken before and are now happily chirping away and kicking their bedding all over the living room. And pooping.

This will bring the flock up an even twelve in a couple months.:blink: Plus the two ducks.

We’re gonna have so many eggs...

seriously anyone want some eggs?

But, it’s 2020, so of course... there’s trouble on the horizon. We’re pretty sure Ghibli is a rooster. And There Can Be Only One. So, in the fullness of time, he may have to face the Dark Side and confront his father, and take on the mantle of...

Spoiler

Darth Ghibli.

Chickens, yo. :rolleyes: In the space of ten minutes earlier I watched four of ours go from eating styrofoam to [CENSORED] some poor little finch that got too close to eating styrofoam again.

Spoiler

Spoiler

1 hour ago, CatastrophicFailure said:

Chickens, yo. :rolleyes: In the space of ten minutes earlier I watched four of ours go from eating styrofoam to [CENSORED] some poor little finch that got too close to eating styrofoam again.

Imagine the epoch of dinos, when all of them were as smart as these chickens, just there was no styrofoam to eat.

1 hour ago, Bill Phil said:

Yikes. What a year to start college. Good luck man.

We just had a huuuuge storm pass through (gusts up to 90mph) and the covid testing line (required for entry) is like an hour long and we're already half an hour late because we had to shelter from the worst of the storm along the way lol. Hopefully the rest of the day is less eventful!

I would not call it funny... interesting? Well... depends I guess.

I walk with mask on toward the local big store, and as I do I see a group of young african american men loudly talking at a table outside across the way from the store where cars pass. They wore no masks, and one made his way over toward me and said "How's your day today?"

Since I suspected he wanted me to buy something I said, "What's up?"

"You wanna know what I'm selling? We are selling CD's."

"I'm not interested."

And I continued on my way, but in the background I heard one near the table say, "Five dollars is not gonna break you!"

Part of me wondered what this guy would do in the same situation:

Spoiler

Lex Luthor to the right.

main-qimg-0cb6df95d8d76df00f52013d648616

Then I thought... don't do that!

I don't know what kind of music they were selling, but based on the way they were dressed, I assumed rap. I will never understand why they and others choose to wear their shorts so loose that that they are about to fall off and their underwear is showing.

African americans ARE NOT monolithic, despite what the media would have the western world believe. They neither all dress the same nor all like the same thing... they only all have to deal with the same challenges since many presume they ARE monolithic.

And by now... some of you already know how I feel about rap. I literally made an entire post about it.

Edited by Spacescifi

I dunno, I just feel if one wants to promote their music and it is ACTUALLY good, there are far more efficient ways to do it.

Not to mention better places to visit where the locals MIGHT actually buy.

Like... seriously... do you expect him to buy it?

Spoiler

2017-03-14+Silver+Londoner+x001.jpg

No! Yet they they asked such I guy to check them out, who just walked away.

If you wanna sell rap music without doing it officially, then you have to go to the places people actually listen to it... and try not to get confronted by a rival who claims that area.

Maybe thats why they did it...safer than having to deal with the competition who won't take their presence kindly.

Edited by Spacescifi

4 minutes ago, Spacescifi said:

I dunno, I just feel if one wants to promote their music and it is ACTUALLY good, there are far more efficient ways to do it.

That was your suggested responce to him.

7 minutes ago, Spacescifi said:

If you wanna sell rap music

The true art can't be sold. It just can be shared for material appreciation. (Say, five bucks).

10 minutes ago, Spacescifi said:

Like... seriously... do you expect him to buy it?

Why not? He's already bought the cap with a pack of hen bones.

On 5/21/2020 at 1:35 AM, cubinator said:

Today I learned that participants in a Zoom meeting can make annotations and draw on a shared screen...

I learned this in a meeting with forty second-graders. I turned that feature off promptly.

I can assure you that 28-year-olds can be just as bad.

That feature is anonymous by default...

On 6/2/2020 at 4:59 AM, cubinator said:

I will have some shopping to do tomorrow...for insect-rearing supplies!

Can you imagine a Mars mission with a dedicated insect expert on the crew? I will soon help answer whether that would be a useful thing to have!

Who will they take next, a botanist?

Edited by DDE

"Well, we don't know that the earth isn't flat."

-The ex

Spoiler

Followed by:
"I have a lot of time, so I watch a lot of youtube videos."
and
"The kids think I'm a conspiracy theorist, but I'm not!"

Hear that whistle?  That's the SS LargeGlassOfBourbon, and it's boarding now...

10 hours ago, razark said:

That's the SS LargeGlassOfBourbon, and it's boarding now...

Funny you'd mention a ship.

maxresdefault.jpg

You see, I'm somewhat of a Youtube video connoisseur myself...

I’m going to the Univeristy of Alabama in Huntsville. Depending on where I stand I can see the S-II skirt up on the Saturn V and just the CSM and  LET of the S1B at the Space and Rocket Center.

Also under one of the overpasses on Campus, someone has spray painted the phrase “Trust No One” I’ll be uploading a photo of that soon.

Edited by munlander1
A recent discovery.